Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2013, 11:38 PM

Default Power engineering questions?

Hi there guys, I'm a new a member and had a few questions about power engineering! I plan on attending Nait, and I have been very interested in taking power engineering for sometime. Right now Im currently upgrading my current courses to meet the requirements for the 2 year program at nait called Power engineering technology. I was wondering if its already too late to apply for the course since I wont be done all my subjects until June, although my marks are pretty high now. I dont plan on applying until June/August, but I was thinking I would apply now and just give them my current progress through the subjects I've taken and hope for early admission. The next power engineering semester will start on September 3rd I believe, and its really important that I get in this year as they are changing the requirements next year making it even more difficult since they will only accept Chem and physics 30, not science 30 ( the science Im upgrading right now). My other question is, is the power engineering certificate still really good to have? It is the one year course that I believe lets you get your full 4th class and leave with part A of your 3rd. Since I get to apply for 2 nait courses, Im going to apply for both Power engineering technology ( my main objective), and the one year power engineering certificate course. I heard its not as easy as getting a job with just your 4th. Is this true? I dont plan on just staying fourth class, infact I plan on eventually reaching second class and possibly 1st if I can. In the case that I get accepted into the one year program and only get my fourth class, will finding a job be tough for someone who has their full 4th but no actual experience? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:04 AM

Been lots of threads on this already.
Ten years ago we were a shadowy group of operators,now I see a thread every other day.
Take 2 year program.
Get your 3rd.
Get a summer job at a plant where firing time counts towards your 3rd.
Yes you can get a good paying job with a 4th but you are severely limiting yourself.
And probably will be working and studying to get get your 3rd at the same time.
Personally I'd rather go to school and get it....
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madatter View Post
Ten years ago we were a shadowy group of operators,now I see a thread every other day.
Take 2 year program.
Get your 3rd.
Yes you can get a good paying job with a 4th but you are severely limiting yourself.
Shadowy and misunderstood!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Take 2 year program.
Get your 3rd.
what he said!!
this forum really needs a 'careers' section. the PE question is asked alot.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-26-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
what he said!!
this forum really needs a 'careers' section. the PE question is asked alot.

too many people are looking into it for the money, not cause that's what they want to do. I see it all the time, we get new people that don't know which end of a wrench is which. Last week I couldn't spell operator now I are one!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
too many people are looking into it for the money, not cause that's what they want to do. I see it all the time, we get new people that don't know which end of a wrench is which. Last week I couldn't spell operator now I are one!
Indeed most of young guys get into it for money....
Most want it all now...who cares if I don't know nothing....
It's an interesting mix of operators now...old wise guys,in between ers like me,and a bunch of FNGs
We use to run our plant with 4 operators.....shut downs,start ups even if help wasn't available.
Now with 6 guys the young ones complain about being overworked on a busy maintanence day.
I'm almost to the point where I'm one of the old guys....5 years I will be
Attitudes of new guys is a whole lot different than older fellas
Old 03-26-2013, 06:47 AM

true.
im seeing that as the employee/job market changes, the PE field is an (assumed) trained replacement for any/all trades. I see employers wanting someone who knows a little about alot, rather than specific tradespersons.
i have a few other red seal trade tickets so it was natural progression to go into PE.
not every person can function as one, to fully understand electrical, chemical processes, mechanical, fluid dynamics, etc is not easy, but if your the kind of person who is open to understanding then you will accell.
I also see that a person a who has a sorted job history tend to grasp the principles faster.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-26-2013, 03:08 PM

Years ago, when went through the NAIT 2-yesr program, one of the entry application requirements was to write a research paper on PE; what is was and what one does. I have a feeling that this is no longer the case.

The stunned looks on new graduates faces when they're expected to get dirty or turn a wrench for the first time says it all.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Take 2 year program.
Get your 3rd.
Sorry about posting another thread about power engineering, I just wanted to interact with actual power engineers and ask them my questions directly instead of just reading about what other people have asked. Also, I do plan on taking the 2 year program, however Im not sure of my chances of getting in since I'll be applying now and it is kind of late to apply but I can only apply now since my marks are now up to par with the requirements for Nait. At the very least, I hope that IF I cant get into the 2 year program, that I will be accepted into the one year course and be able to complete my fourth class. That way I'll still be part of PE field, and I can just work my way up. It doesn't matter if its the harder path, I'll still try my best to succeed at it. Also I thought the 2 year program at Nait gives you the firing time for 3rd class?
Old 03-26-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yes that is true, however I do have a genuine interest in power engineering, not just for the money (although it sure is a bonus), but the career itself. I also like the idea of shift work.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Do not limit yourself to just NAIT apply at all the college as I believe there is now a 2-3 year wait list to get into these programs.
Please do not settle on just the 4th class finish your education and get the diploma as you are far more employable with a post secondary education then just your certification.
Also check out power engineers anynonomous (sp?) on facebook.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
^^^^ x1000
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 PM

Default Dirty ?

You guys get dirty ? Your doing it wrong!
(PE since 78)
Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
(PE since 78)
I don't but the FNG's sure do!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadodge View Post
I don't but the FNG's sure do!
Yup, that's if they leave the permit office! We had one FNG in one of my units I was looking after, I walked into their permit office at 9:30 am on weekday morning, none of the ops guys were in there as it was busy, only the FNG was in there watching TV. Needless to say we had a chat about work ethic and helping out without being asked. I'm from the school of thought, when there is work, everyone works! Until you have a unit figured out, all your drawings are in and you have passed your unit training, no TV.
Not a hard rule to live by, do you think???
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM

[QUOTE=chewydog;1905576]Yup, that's if they leave the permit office! We had one FNG in one of my units I was looking after, I walked into their permit office at 9:30 am on weekday morning, none of the ops guys were in there as it was busy, only the FNG was in there watching TV. Needless to say we had a chat about work ethic and helping out without being asked. I'm from the school of thought, when there is work, everyone works! Until you have a unit figured out, all your drawings are in and you have passed your unit training, no TV.
Not a hard rule to live by, do you

Even if stuff is slow it really isnt that much to ask to walk around and look over your process area and maybe take a few extra samples or maybe go hassle a more experienced operator and ask him a bunch of questions.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
(PE since 78)
Gas plant operator.....right?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:05 PM

[QUOTE=79ford;1905865]
Quote:
Yup, that's if they leave the permit office! We had one FNG in one of my units I was looking after, I walked into their permit office at 9:30 am on weekday morning, none of the ops guys were in there as it was busy, only the FNG was in there watching TV. Needless to say we had a chat about work ethic and helping out without being asked. I'm from the school of thought, when there is work, everyone works! Until you have a unit figured out, all your drawings are in and you have passed your unit training, no TV.
Not a hard rule to live by, do you

Even if stuff is slow it really isnt that much to ask to walk around and look over your process area and maybe take a few extra samples or maybe go hassle a more experienced operator and ask him a bunch of questions.
Or grab a hose and do some cleaning! I always said just one hour per set of cleaning by evey operator and the place would shine. Lots just think it's their time to do SFA but get paid for it. That used to pi-s me off!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 PM

[QUOTE=chewydog;1905955]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post

Or grab a hose and do some cleaning! I always said just one hour per set of cleaning by evey operator and the place would shine. Lots just think it's their time to do SFA but get paid for it. That used to pi-s me off!

I am actually kinda thankfull there are lots of lazy people around and kids that come out of school thinking they are above getting dirty etc. It makes it waaay easier for those of us that work to get ahead.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM

[QUOTE=79ford;1906124]
Quote:

I am actually kinda thankfull there are lots of lazy people around and kids that come out of school thinking they are above getting dirty etc. It makes it waaay easier for those of us that work to get ahead.

Yup, easy to look like an allstar!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 AM

I am somewhat limited in experience since I only graduated with a 4th two years ago, but IMHO like others said take the two year program. There are too many 4ths out there already for the limited PE jobs available so go wherever you have to and graduate with half your 2nd.

I bailed out to take a contract freeze plant job at a mine instead of returning for my 3rd after graduation and I regret it. Now I have to go back again..do it all the first time while at a desk.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:31 PM

But i also believe the earlier you get in the industry the better.
You can get your 4th, start working and so the 3rd. That's my plan anyway. Be at school 2 full yrs with a family to feed, it ain't easy.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 PM

Get your 4th, get hired and then have them pay for third. Usually get your steam time while getting paid, they'll pay for exams, books, time off.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolverine View Post
But i also believe the earlier you get in the industry the better.
You can get your 4th, start working and so the 3rd. That's my plan anyway. Be at school 2 full yrs with a family to feed, it ain't easy.
Doing my 4th right now. Planning on writing part A of my 3rd as soon as school is done. With the changes ABSA made, you can now write any tickets even without steam time, they will just hold them until you get some.

Hopefully i won't have much trouble finding somewhere where i can get some steam time. After 12 years in the army i kinda forgot how to look for work
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptemomo View Post
Doing my 4th right now. Planning on writing part A of my 3rd as soon as school is done. With the changes ABSA made, you can now write any tickets even without steam time, they will just hold them until you get some.

Hopefully i won't have much trouble finding somewhere where i can get some steam time. After 12 years in the army i kinda forgot how to look for work
Hi. That's excellent news you just gave me. I think i'll do that do too. I saw the questions for #rd Part A, it's not that difficult. I have a solid background in maths, chemistry and physics, i should be good.
I registered to SAIT to start my 4th in sept 2014. Are you at SAIT too??
Old 03-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Banned

Default Yep

Quote:
too many people are looking into it for the money, not cause that's what they want to do. I see it all the time, we get new people that don't know which end of a wrench is which. Last week i couldn't spell operator now i are one!
^^^x1000....this!!!
Old 03-21-2014, 04:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
I am somewhat limited in experience since I only graduated with a 4th two years ago, but IMHO like others said take the two year program. There are too many 4ths out there already for the limited PE jobs available so go wherever you have to and graduate with half your 2nd.

I bailed out to take a contract freeze plant job at a mine instead of returning for my 3rd after graduation and I regret it. Now I have to go back again..do it all the first time while at a desk.
Exactly....get you 4th and 3rd done back to back if possible.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolverine View Post
Hi. That's excellent news you just gave me. I think i'll do that do too. I saw the questions for #rd Part A, it's not that difficult. I have a solid background in maths, chemistry and physics, i should be good.
I registered to SAIT to start my 4th in sept 2014. Are you at SAIT too??
No, i'm NAIT.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:08 PM

apply at pulp mills or osb mills.... they will give you steam time in alot of instances. There is pretty heavy turn over because of people leaving for oil and gas jobs. They are pretty hurting for people these days
Old 03-24-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
apply at pulp mills or osb mills.... they will give you steam time in alot of instances. There is pretty heavy turn over because of people leaving for oil and gas jobs. They are pretty hurting for people these days
You can't really blame them. Everyone wants to finish his mortgage asap.
But thanks for the advice as well.