Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 07:50 AM

Default Air Quality lately...

How bad is the air quality lately?? Woke up this morning with my mouth tasting like a fire pit again, headache, coughing....and I have been running my HEPA air purifier on high all week. Checked our local site, and our index on particulate matter is sitting at 14 at the moment. High this week was 16, lowest was 1 after we had a little rain and wind from the east. It's to the point where I don't want to go to work, it's making me ill....how bad is the rest of the province? I am in Peace region.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 AM

I’m west of didsbury about ten miles, visibility must be down to a mile or maybe less. Smoke is the worst this morning that I’ve seen it.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:56 AM

Woke up with a headache as well, and an open window bringing in the stench. Normally I like the smell of a campfire, but this does not qualify. I hope BC gets some good rain where their fires are. The Mrs texted me this morning that outside looked like photos with a sepia filter
Old 08-15-2018, 08:02 AM

My 5am run was tough this morning. Very smoky north of Stony Plain.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:14 AM

I wonder how the wild critters do with this? At least I can batten down the hatches and keep the HEPA going...that thing has been a life saver!

I wouldn't go running in this if a bear were chasing me! and visibility is awful here too...

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-15-2018, 08:16 AM

Had a clear morning in Med. Hat yesterday, smoke is back this AM. I am at risk to air quality, so I don't go out when it is like this. Getting to be a pattern these last few years.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-15-2018, 08:21 AM
Banned

Clock went off at 6AM and I figured it must be broken when I looked out the window and it was still middle of the night dark.
I'm pretty lucky...I've always had good lungs so it doesn't bother me in that respect.
I'm wondering how my two teens are doing...they and their mom left Saturday to visit some friends...they're camping in Kelowna. Gotta be way worse there.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I wonder how the wild critters do with this?
At least I may not need to buy a smoker......

It’s pretty bad in the southern tip of Calgary as well. That sepia filter is a pretty close description, I might even say old time sepia. My son has asthma and we’ve been keeping a pretty close eye on it and making sure to always have an inhaler handy. I woke up this morning feeling like a smoked a pack of cigarettes last night on a drinking binge. And I barely drink and don’t smoke anymore.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Default nordegg area

yesterday morning clear, blew in around 10 so thick I thought I was in the fire, drove to Edmonton looks like a constant orange sunrise today
Old 08-15-2018, 08:43 AM
Banned

Gross.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20180808_181000_4799.jpg (14.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 08-15-2018, 09:08 AM

Can hardly see the mountains here one of the worst days yet.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:16 AM

Cant see the mountains when you're in the mountains...…..Crowsnest Pass.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM

I think this is the worst I've ever seen in Calgary.

Headed to Edmonton shortly, will see how the trip goes.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:33 AM

Woke up this morning and took the dog out for her walk, when I got back in I had to double check the clocks just to make sure I hadn't got up an hour early.

Been hitting the old inhaler hard the last few days.

We're forced to breath this smoke, meanwhile we can't get a pipeline approval from BC.

BW
Old 08-15-2018, 11:23 AM

Dark Orange sky in Lloyd today worst I've ever seen I woke up this morning at 6:30 it was still dark thought my clock was wrong
Old 08-15-2018, 11:26 AM

I'm in Radium camping. Normal Haze in the hills the last 3 summers due to fires, one day was kinda smokey. Weird as I left Edmonton in much worse smokey conditions, expected the same here being in BC. Seems like out here, the smoke hugs the far valleys and blows through & doesn't stick around.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Smoky here in Nisku. That’s a jet that just took off 5 min ago.
Still managed to hit the gym at 430 this morning but yeah it’s pretty bad here and it’s getting annoying. Don’t think I’ll be getting on the mountain bike tonight and will opt for the treadmill in the house...

Old 08-15-2018, 12:05 PM

Thinking of grabbing some n95 masks as I don't want to be breathing this crap in while outside too much longer. Can almost taste it in the mornings and that can't be good for business.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:30 PM

Edmonton is awful today. Surprisingly they shut our crew down for the day. I'm not a smoker but even I have a bit of sore throat.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:57 PM

Lots of people wearing dust masks in the downtown core. Starting to look like Hong Kong around here. BC should paying Alberta big bucks for the carbon tax with all the smoke in the air. At least I wont have to smoke my deer meat when hunting season comes around.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-15-2018, 01:15 PM

Just arrived in Edmonton and consistently bad the entire drive.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 PM

really bad in lamont area this morning, like everyone else woke up and thought the clock was broken.... rode the motorcycle into edmonton for work and eyes would start to water/hurt with the visor up on the highway. never have had to close helmet vents up for just smoke before. pretty bad.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:47 PM

Bad by my place by Alberta Beach, got shutdown at work today in Edmonton because of the air quality. The outdoor pools in Edmonton shutdown at the same time roughly as well.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:28 PM

The index has dropped from 14 ppm this morning to 3 ppm currently, cleared up a lot. Now I will only feel like I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes instead of 5....man it has been harsh on me! Coughing and spitting up gunk all day. Where do we send the carbon tax bill? Horgan? His Greenies? Maybe Suzuki should chip in too, that scumbag hypocrite!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
The index has dropped from 14 ppm this morning to 3 ppm currently, cleared up a lot. Now I will only feel like I smoked 2 packs of cigarettes instead of 5....man it has been harsh on me! Coughing and spitting up gunk all day. Where do we send the carbon tax bill? Horgan? His Greenies? Maybe Suzuki should chip in too, that scumbag hypocrite!
It's all the damned trees. Some liberal loser is going to want to cut them down so they can't cause any more smoke. Only if she lives in Banff though

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-15-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
It's all the damned trees. Some liberal loser is going to want to cut them down so they can't cause any more smoke. Only if she lives in Banff though
Try the gummy bears Ken, might help you lose your hatred for the Bow Valley.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:49 PM

Just came back from a 5000km motorcycle ride through BC and hardly seen any mountains except in the odd valley due to the smoke. One morning 40 kms outside of Valemont we woke to ash all over our motorcycles and a few embers still had heat in them enough to stick to our seats.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 PM
Banned

All these wild fires are interfering with my pot smoking. I’m not a happy camper and sick of bc ruining my summers.I should sue the bc government for not supplying enough equipment to put there smelly fires out.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:35 PM

Kid you not, got to truck in parking lot today after work (Edmonton) and noticed what I believe was a thin layer of ash over the entire vehicle. As bad as I can remember.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:37 PM

Well, at least it's a pretty sunset....kind of hard to see with a splitting headache and coughing up a lung, but pretty...