Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 05:51 PM

Default Do you Donate Blood

Sitting in a packed room tonite, really great to see, it’s my 43rd time.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 08-14-2018, 06:01 PM

Unfortunately I am disqualified from donating because I lived in the UK and ate British beef in the years leading up to the Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) epidemic. So far there is no test to detect its presence on a live subject ......
Old 08-14-2018, 06:06 PM

Yes. 38 times so far. So easy to do and saves lives. Makes a guy feel good helping out
Old 08-14-2018, 06:23 PM

No, never. Someone would have to carry me out after I passed out.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 PM

Used to very regularly.
When they stopped doing rural blood doner clinics, I quite donating.
3 hours drive time, and horrendous parking, nope it’s a costly adventure, now.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-14-2018, 07:32 PM

I used to, and then they asked that I not because something about my blood triggered false positives for something or other. Multiple trips to the Dr ruled out their quickie screenings as being inaccurate (or at least leaning towards being hypersensitive).

Enough time has passed I'm sure they would have better tests by now, I should head in again and give it a go.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 PM

I do, not regularly though. Next time will be double digits (10)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Banned

I have donated blood in the past, apparently my blood type is good for anyone. I don’t think they would take my blood these days however. I feel perfectly sober but the person receiving the blood would probably get high as a kite if they don’t use cannabis lol.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Never have. Don't honestly know where I would go for that.

Good job to those who have, lots of lives possibly saved.

Question though, Does anyone know how much of the blood that gets donated gets used? I'm assuming some goes to waste since I can't see the shelf life being very long during times of surplus.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Never have. Don't honestly know where I would go for that.

Good job to those who have, lots of lives possibly saved.

Question though, Does anyone know how much of the blood that gets donated gets used? I'm assuming some goes to waste since I can't see the shelf life being very long during times of surplus.

The stuff closing in on its best before date gets bought by Vampire Depot, lots of frugal vampires and various witchcraft/ occult practitioners out there!

Curious how much of it goes to cloning operations

In all seriousness though, I once had to perform some pipe freezing at Canadian Blood Services facility on the beltline. I had to use two freeze collars to isolate some domestic water line sections to tie in some new branches for renovations. The reason is that due to their water-cooled refrigeration for the blood coolers, under no circumstances is anyone ever allowed to shut off the domestic water. I did my freezes, tied in some tee's and valves and left the rest for the company doing the renovations (another plumbing outfit hired us for that task). No stress in getting those done.....
Old 08-14-2018, 08:27 PM

I would be happy to...but I'm AB pos (not desirable) and medically disqualified.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 08-14-2018, 08:28 PM

I do, yesterday was my 5th donation, and counting, November will be 6, very professional crew at the collection location, Im A+ blood type so 38% of the population needs my blood.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I once had to perform some pipe freezing at Canadian Blood Services facility on the beltline. I had to use two freeze collars to isolate some domestic water line sections to tie in some new branches for renovations. The reason is that due to their water-cooled refrigeration for the blood coolers, under no circumstances is anyone ever allowed to shut off the domestic water. I did my freezes, tied in some tee's and valves and left the rest for the company doing the renovations (another plumbing outfit hired us for that task). No stress in getting those done.....
I'm thinking there is a reason another plumbing outfit hired this job out. Could you imagine the liability if something had gone wrong and spoiled all the blood?
Talk about stress and working.....under pressure...
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I'm thinking there is a reason another plumbing outfit hired this job out. Could you imagine the liability if something had gone wrong and spoiled all the blood?
Talk about stress and working.....under pressure...
The field super for the other outfit is my Dad's old buddy and is my 'uncle' Ric (nod to your recent post of your uncle Rick). I was working for my Dad's plumbing company at the time, Ric knew we had the freeze kit, not all outfits have one. It wasn't all about the liability thing, just about someone with the right tools and experience using it. Not a spot to send a guy for his first go at such a task!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:50 PM

Yes, regularly since I work downtown and can easily walk to the clinic. Strangely, I find it relaxing and there's free cookies!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:40 PM
Banned

Default Same here

Every two months for me
They have a app now that tracks and reminds you
Ya free cookies aye?
Old 08-14-2018, 10:04 PM

Yep. Group donation through work every 56days.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:09 PM

When I was in the city would regularly now living out of the big city it makes it tough.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:18 PM

Many years ago in the Air Force we would donate blood in the afternoon and then be given the rest of the afternoon off, we would then head straight for the Mess/bar...the good old days.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:21 PM

Think I’m at number 29. Every 2 months. Always a great turnout. I try and book a clinic so im first in and hopefully first out lol. Never turns out that way. Helps doing the pre screening on my app the day of.l to speed up the process. They do an awesome job. Great to hear AO many donate 🙂
Old 08-14-2018, 10:42 PM

Did all the time before! Got my 25 times card! But since we go to Mexico every year, they don't want my blood! O'well their loss!
Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt4Ever View Post
Many years ago in the Air Force we would donate blood in the afternoon and then be given the rest of the afternoon off, we would then head straight for the Mess/bar...the good old days.
That could be in the Scottish Frugality thread! Donate blood before you hit the pub, your B.A.C is cheaper to get up there when you reduce the volume of that pesky diluent
Old 08-14-2018, 11:20 PM

I would donate my blood if'n it 'twernt tainted. I guess I could donate my blood to the gov't secret service...for when they want to infect spies and foreign enemies.

Thanks to those that donate. Since I can't donate blood maybe I should donate some cookies for those that do.

A neat foot note on blood letting in Alberta...before it was Alberta.
Alexander Henry the elder wrote this comment from 1763: "Bleeding is so favorite an operation among the [Indian] women, that they never lose an occasion of enjoying, whether sick or well. I have sometimes bled a dozen women in a morning, as they sat in a row, along a fallen tree, beginning with the first—opening the vein—then proceeding to the second—and so on, having three or four individuals bleeding at the same time."
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-15-2018, 12:55 AM

Have in the past, but it's been a while. Thanks for reminding me, time to make some time to do it.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:57 AM

I used to but due to all the meds I'm on I can't anymore. My blood has so many opiates in it I could probably sell it on the street.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Sitting in a packed room tonite, really great to see, it’s my 43rd time.
Congrats! I've donated blood 102 times and plasma 143 times.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:12 AM

I used to until I got cancer 17 years ago. Been clear since then but still disqualified.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:31 AM

My wife has gone a couple time more than me. She got me to go once and since then its kinda a weird date night for us.

We meet at the university clinic after work on her schedule, women can't go as often as men.

Nice quite time shared over a bowl of soup and crackers
Old 08-15-2018, 08:42 AM

I'm the same as Okotok...Cancer changes everything...everything!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-15-2018, 08:44 AM

Yes and proud of it.....

My dad donated in WW II and told me that if you are healthy to donate; it helps people and it is good for you.

It all started in my high school gym. I was 17 years old at the time and my dad had to sign a waiver for me.

I think it was more to get out of class and eat some cookies....hahaha

In all my schooling and all of my career, I have never missed a minute because of sick.

My next milestone is 1,000 donations.

Thanks to everyone out there that take the time to donate; whether it be whole blood, plasma or platelets....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 08-15-2018 at 08:49 AM.