Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Trapper Joe

Default Coyote snare size

I do like the 1/16 cable in 1/19 for coyotes because they do not see it as easily and it bites in better for a quick kill.

What is a good loop size and height off the ground when using the Stingers? A catch right behind the ears is a lot better than too low on the neck but if I set the loop too small I get knocked down snares.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:53 PM
t

Default t

I've been having excellent results with all size loops and all neck capture locations. Certainly high on the neck is preferred as it will virtually gaurantee those lightning fast kills, jowever, I likely catch my highest percentage of coyotes on the lower neck and those coyotes also expire quickly as well. I have had more shoulder catches dead than live, and by the waist, most all have been dispatched by the snare, and relatively fast as well as evidenced by the lack of swelling on the hind end and no destruction of the snare site.

If you want to do the job with little loops, then you will need to be certain the coyotes head is properly guided. A cinch in tight brush and narrow trails, much more effort required on those 6 foot wide cow trails, hence both extremes.