Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Blakeinator2

Default Lynx, in Alberta, can a resident shoot one somehow?

Hi All,

Recreational coyote caller here for the most part, and usually just around town. Want to try some calling further west and wondering if possible to get ability to shoot a lynx that way? Liscensing required, costs etc.? Have no desire to run a trap line or take it further than recreational calling...is there a way for a resident Albertan to 'go get a lynx'?

Would be willing to jump through quite a few hoops as long as not too demanding or costly.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

B
Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 PM
Rob

No you can't shoot a lynx.

They are a quota species even for trappers, and generally those quota's are quite low.

Rob
Old 02-23-2006, 09:40 AM
Blakeinator2

Booo,

Thanks for Reply Rob.

So just to be clear...i cannot get a trappers liscense and a tiny quota(one would be nice ) somehow? Forgive my greeness on the trapping stuff and how it all works but there is no way i can take courses, get liscense and a quota without buying a trapline etc.? Maybe you can give me the big picture run down on how that all works? I guess what i'm saying is...if i could spend some time to get the appropriate liscense etc. and costs didn't run over a few hundred bucks etc. then i would try to do it. If its way more than that and i basically would need to become a trapper and run a trapline to do it then i'm not interested. Anyhow, i guess i just find it hard to believe there isn't something a resident can do, they seem pretty plentiful?

B
Old 02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
aka bushmaster

Blake, lynx are classed #2 in the regs meaning....

2) This season is provided only for those who hunt under the authority of a Registered Fur Management Licence, Indian Fur Management Licence or Métis Fur Management Licence issued under the Métis Settlements Act.

I don't have time right now to check it out but I think it means you need to own a trapline...otherwise you could just buy a resident license.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Rob

Hey Blake,

You can contact the Alberta Trappers Association at (780) 349-6626 in Westlock. They run courses in various parts of the province year round. The course in generally a week long and only costs about $40 or something like that... not expensive, but you have to have the fur management course before you are allowed to purchase a "Resident Trappers Licence." This licence still does not allow you to trap lynx. You have to have a Registered Trapline in order to take a lynx.

Getting a Registered Trapline, however, is a whole new matter. I've been trying to buy a line for a long time but refuse to pay the rediculous prices trappers (in most cases so-called trappers - I'd be willing to bet that 1/3 of the traplines in Alberta aren't even trapped, although things may be changing in that regard [one can only hope]) are asking. In many cases these lines don't even consist of a cabin or equipment and the prices are as high as $40,000 - $60,000. Cheaper lines (and trust me I've looked at a few) are generally cheaper because of high quantities of private land, grazing reserves etc. on them, which in turn means you are generally stuck trapping beaver, coyotes and rats that you can trap as a resident trapper anyway.

Considering if your line burns down in a forest fire and you get nothing in return, it's a high risk proposition. That and the fact that fur isn't worth squat these days you would never see a return on your investment.

Taking a fur management course and purchasing a trapline to become a registered trapper is the only way you can trap (not hunt) a lynx. Lynx, Fisher, otter and wolverine are all off limits to resident trappers, hunters etc.

Hope this helps.

Rob
Old 02-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Blakeinator2

Default thats what i needed to know

Wow,

Too bad on the trapline luck Rob. I guess i kinda figured if you were a trapper you could also suppliment the trapping by calling/shooting also? Too bad about the traplines not being used etc. and costs/poor fur prices etc.

If thats the case i hope some changes can come down the road to maybe allow some access to lynx for residents to actually hunt?

Oh well, thanks for the replies.

B
Old 02-25-2006, 10:07 PM
grandslamer1

Default Re: thats what i needed to know

if u see a lynx just yell out ITS COMING RIGHT AT US then shoot it then it selfdefense lol just kidding