Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-07-2005, 08:43 PM
Pauite string deadf

Default Pauite string deadfall

hey, i recently learnt the easy to make paiute string deadfall trap which you just use string and sticks and a rock to prop it with. i was wondering if anyone has anymore simple to make trap that they would like to share?

Cant hear what i find out
Old 02-24-2006, 06:46 PM
geezer55

When I googled this is what I found. www.wildwoodsurvival.com/...ute01.html
Old 02-24-2006, 09:52 PM
Hydehunter

I just learned how to make a grouse trap the other day. All you need is 1 piece 4" pipe that is 2' long and some chickenwire. You cover one end in the chickenwire and make a bait trail into the pipe with a pile at the end. The grouse then walks in after the bait and gets stuck because it can't turn around and there you have it. Devin
Old 03-07-2006, 08:28 PM
winged1

syrup on the rim of a slush cup, with a few kernels of grain in the bottom. Not really a trap but funny as hell when a magpie is crashing about with a cup on it's head.

Or a piece of bread tied onto your fishing line. Great for when mom and dad where in the pub and us kids sat in the car. Cast the bread out and let a sea gull take it. He'll fight like hell unto he's up to the car then will release it. Again not a real trap, but lot's of fun.

Another one for magpies is the 'V' top chicken wire cage. You'll catch half the damn flock before panic sets in. The same set can be used for grouse or pheasants. Dig an entrance ditch a foot or two along one side, then dump a basket of leaves inside. Bait with grain and once the birds crawl under, scratch around in the leaves, they've covered their escape route.

For a deadfall, we were pretty handy with the 3 stick triggers. However, we found out by accident that sparrows where easily captured in hinged top orange crates by propping the hinged lid open with a single upright stick. Bread skewed on the stick had them silly birds shutting themselves in.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:21 AM
JIM MITCHELL

Default Dead fall traps

On my sunday morning read , I came across this thread. I had just finished watching a video on animal cruelty in China . It was disgusting and I smuggly thought , thank God this doesn't happen in Canada. When I checked, however , I see that magpies walking around with a "slush cup" on their heads, or sea gulls fighting bread on a fishing line is considered " funny as hell"?
Come on folks, this is a trapping forum. Should magpies need removal then it is up to us to remove them humanely and with respect. I could go on, but I think you get my drift. Also remember that the internet is open to everyone and posts like this reenforce sterotypes that we are trying hard to counter.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:03 PM
winged1

Default Re: Dead fall traps

c'mon Jim, I can tell you need to let off some steam. How 'bout heading over to this post p087.ezboard.com/falberta...=1&stop=20
and do some real venting.