Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 08:31 AM
Banned

8foot section of galvanized chainlink fence some ty raps and 2 cinderblocks
Old 12-19-2016, 08:32 AM

If your going to bring a weapon into a fight , your first thought should be what to do if it is taken and used against yourself . the first rule you learn in self defense is how to avoid a physical conflict , a weapon is something you use as a last resort life or death situation . If i was you i'd get a couple of flood lights and an air horn , next time they come in hit the switch and sound the horn . i'd put money on the fact you will never see those particular individuals ever again.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
As for advise about self-defense - I would suggest some actual training in self defense.
I was nodding my head in agreement at this part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
I mean in an actual martial art which actually teaches self defense (Something like Karate, Ninjutsu, or Hap Ki Do) and not a sport martial art like MMA or BJJ.
And then read this and was looking for the sarcasm tag. Some karate can be ok, but Ninjutsu and Hapkido are worse than useless for self defence.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 AM

Well, premeditating self defense on the internet might not be the best way to get away with it.
But I know how you feel. Was broken into a couple months ago out in the back of my acreage. Such a violating feeling.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownguy View Post
And then read this and was looking for the sarcasm tag. Some karate can be ok, but Ninjutsu and Hapkido are worse than useless for self defence.
Next crook might be MMA? Who do you think you're defending against?
Old 12-19-2016, 08:54 AM

A 3 pound flashlight like this one is always a good "safety" tool.
http://maglite.com/shop/magliter-ml3...l#.WFgBsnfMxsM

or for stealth attack try
https://goo.gl/images/F5Dz0h
Old 12-19-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
Meh, a lot of you sound like delicate Liberal flowers. Whatever happened to holding your ground and being a man who's ready to defend his family and property? It's quite unlikely that the intruders/burglars will contact the police. Let 'er rip! They'll remember the lesson while they are trying to determine the number of missing teeth.
Make sure that you have a good lawyer on retainer and do not give any statements to the police.
Bad avice Kemo Sabe. Who the........has a lawyer on retainer? You have one? I see this so many times on this forum.............makes me laugh. Good advice. Stand up like a man if you want to................no shotguns loaded with buckshot and slugs (im' bettin' you don't ) Turning into a criminal yourself ain't the help he needs. If you want to stand up like a man do it without weapons..............cowards will run away at your approach. You can't shoot a man in the back that isn't armed........goes for baseball bat or whatever weapon you think you should sneak up with and snipe 'em out. Thieves ain't worth killin' or getting killed for.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
I was nodding my head in agreement at this part.

Hahaha, that's rich. If you're up for it I can refer you to some ninjutsu instructors who will help you reconsider that perspective, they've trained and been awarded their respective belts in Japan rather than through mail-order from the back of a magazine.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist View Post
Stun baton.

Check out Canada Ammo.

Just the sound is enough to make a person poo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
[QUOTE=CaberTosser;3420581]I have a question for hog farmers reading this thread: Will a hog carcass rolled up in chain link fencing sink to the bottom of a deep water body? Asking for a friend......

Personally I like the paintball gun, just need bank dye in the paint balls. But Bear spray would probably be a better choice. Just tell the cops you heard something and went to check it out, guy threatened me and he got a blast. I doubt the cop would take the scum's word.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Next crook might be MMA? Who do you think you're defending against?
That's the point. You DON'T know who you are defending against, and many martial arts teach a wildly unrealistic version of self defense and create a sense of false confidence. When push comes to shove, that line of thinking will end badly for that person.

Imagine someone is going through your truck in the middle of the night. The 'up' side of fighting them is that you keep your stuff (maybe). What's the downside? The downside is that you lose the fight....which might mean that you still end up chasing them off, or it might end up with you alone in the dark fighting >1 person. Even the best fighter has poor odds against >1 person. Laying in the gravel at 3am with people laying the boots to you is a big price to pay for the chance of retaining your property that is likely covered by insurance anyway.

Real scraps don't play out like in the movies where the hero easily wins with not a scratch on them. In real life even the winner is likely to get injured as well. A concussion or other injury will put you out of work and cost you more in the long run than the stuff was worth.

I've spent most of my adulthood doing martial arts, and I know I have some strong opinions that go against the grain of other martial artists. My philosophy is to learn realistic techniques that are regularly practiced against resisting sparring partners. Many 'arts' have been so watered down that they are effectively 'fight choreography' rather than actually teaching people to fight.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Hahaha, that's rich. If you're up for it I can refer you to some ninjutsu instructors who will help you reconsider that perspective, they've trained and been awarded their respective belts in Japan rather than through mail-order from the back of a magazine.
I too have belts from 'famous people from far away'. Travel distance doesn't increase their value to me.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's the point. You DON'T know who you are defending against, and many martial arts teach a wildly unrealistic version of self defense and create a sense of false confidence. When push comes to shove, that line of thinking will end badly for that person.

Imagine someone is going through your truck in the middle of the night. The 'up' side of fighting them is that you keep your stuff (maybe). What's the downside? The downside is that you lose the fight....which might mean that you still end up chasing them off, or it might end up with you alone in the dark fighting >1 person. Even the best fighter has poor odds against >1 person. Laying in the gravel at 3am with people laying the boots to you is a big price to pay for the chance of retaining your property that is likely covered by insurance anyway.

Real scraps don't play out like in the movies where the hero easily wins with not a scratch on them. In real life even the winner is likely to get injured as well. A concussion or other injury will put you out of work and cost you more in the long run than the stuff was worth.

I've spent most of my adulthood doing martial arts, and I know I have some strong opinions that go against the grain of other martial artists. My philosophy is to learn realistic techniques that are regularly practiced against resisting sparring partners. Many 'arts' have been so watered down that they are effectively 'fight choreography' rather than actually teaching people to fight.
And that's wonderful - for you. If you're dedicated enough to follow through, most aren't. The problem is, you don't know WHAT you're defending against. We're not talking about a bar fight here.

Having the mental capacity to think - is this person armed? What is their intention?

Your martial arts aren't going to help you if you come out of your home at 2 in the morning to check out a noise and someone shoots you.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:02 AM

If you go the paintball route, put the container of balls in the freezer first.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
And that's wonderful - for you. If you're dedicated enough to follow through, most aren't. The problem is, you don't know WHAT you're defending against. We're not talking about a bar fight here.

Having the mental capacity to think - is this person armed? What is their intention?

Your martial arts aren't going to help you if you come out of your home at 2 in the morning to check out a noise and someone shoots you.
I think you misunderstood me. My point was identical to yours. I'm NOT going to initiate a fight over 'stuff' for the reasons you gave. The downside of charging out into my driveways at 2am is far too great.

My rant was about martial arts that make people think they can do that hero stuff unscathed.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. My point was identical to yours. I'm NOT going to initiate a fight over 'stuff' for the reasons you gave. The downside of charging out into my driveways at 2am is far too great.

My rant was about martial arts that make people think they can do that hero stuff unscathed.
Most people haven't got the confidence to defend themselves in any situation, fight or flight or turtle up and lay down. I don't look at it as good or bad, any self defence training is good, builds confidence - confidence to know that win or lose, you can defend in some capacity.

A friends daughter is 16, been in kung fu for years, 5'6" and 130 pounds, not very assuming. But I pity the fool that tackles her. She loves full contact with the boys, and has the confidence to do it. What are the chances of her being attacked by someone that's a black belt in anything? I have confidence in her that she won't be a victim, that's what it's all about.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
But is this legal in Canada? What country is it from? New Zealand maybe?
Old 12-19-2016, 03:04 PM

You guys are doing too much talking! What, If, where, When, etc...
Waist the perp, dump the body in the woods - no body, no problem! Coyots need to eat too!
Old 12-19-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have a question for hog farmers reading this thread: Will a hog carcass rolled up in chain link fencing sink to the bottom of a deep water body? Asking for a friend......
I'm sure that the carcass would sink,
provided that the arms er I mean the front legs,
are tucked in.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:09 PM
Banned

I think you should set up a punji pit. No escape.
Old 12-19-2016, 05:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
You guys are doing too much talking! What, If, where, When, etc...
Waist the perp, dump the body in the woods - no body, no problem! Coyots need to eat too!
Bad Idea. I find that's the biggest problem with following the advise of a lot of you armchair warriors. What do you do with the bodies afterwards? Unless you have permission you can't just drop them off in some farmers field, esp. this year with all the crops not harvested. And they probably have some silly reg. against burying murder victims on crown land, so whats a fellow to do? Sell body parts to hospitals?
Yeh, it's the chits when your vehicle or garage or home is broken into or even stolen, but the nanny state we live in pretty well cuts off your balls when it comes to self protection. Best plan is to lock it or lose it, and when you lose it, suck it up buttercup. Believe me I know.

It's all good in the hood.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Banned

Some posters are real tough sitting behind their keyboards doling out advice...when it's happening LIVE and full speed it is REALLY different, so just hold on there cowboys... Gotta admit, some of the ideas are interesting
Old 12-19-2016, 08:36 PM

IBTL
Old 12-19-2016, 08:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
Bad avice Kemo Sabe. Who the........has a lawyer on retainer? You have one? I see this so many times on this forum.............makes me laugh. Good advice. Stand up like a man if you want to................no shotguns loaded with buckshot and slugs (im' bettin' you don't ) Turning into a criminal yourself ain't the help he needs. If you want to stand up like a man do it without weapons..............cowards will run away at your approach. You can't shoot a man in the back that isn't armed........goes for baseball bat or whatever weapon you think you should sneak up with and snipe 'em out. Thieves ain't worth killin' or getting killed for.
I have 250k out in retainers between two of Edmontons' best criminal lawyers. You have no idea as to who I am.
If any LEO questions my loaded firearms, I'm purely cleaning my shotgun (hence the open cleaning kit), as for the ammo, I always wipe it down in order to prevent corrosion and like to cycle it through the action in order to ensure proper functioning of my tools. I'm also an insomniac, hence I conduct these activities in the middle of the night. There are many legal excuses for ones actions, and they have worked in court in the past...
I much prefer a knife to a long barreled firearm when it comes to close quarters combat. I do fencing, sabre and knife fighting as a hobby. I'd cut you from hole to hole faster than you can chamber a round.
Canadas' laws are irrelevant, since they offer protection to criminals and punish law abiding citizens. All one needs to know is how to work the system which is designed to screw you, the law abiding citizen.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have 250k out in retainers between two of Edmontons' best criminal lawyers. You have no idea as to who I am.
If any LEO questions my loaded firearms, I'm purely cleaning my shotgun (hence the open cleaning kit), as for the ammo, I always wipe it down in order to prevent corrosion and like to cycle it through the action in order to ensure proper functioning of my tools. I'm also an insomniac, hence I conduct these activities in the middle of the night. There are many legal excuses for ones actions, and they have worked in court in the past...
I much prefer a knife to a long barreled firearm when it comes to close quarters combat. I do fencing, sabre and knife fighting as a hobby. I'd cut you from hole to hole faster than you can chamber a round.
Canadas' laws are irrelevant, since they offer protection to criminals and punish law abiding citizens. All one needs to know is how to work the system which is designed to screw you, the law abiding citizen.
Sorry Grouse. I call BS. I don't know why you feel you have to preen on this forum, and this is the 2nd time this week you've made an ass of yourself. Anybody that cleans their shotguns while they are loaded, and has an issue with LEO"s would be well advised to spend another 250k on psychiatric help.
Your right about one thing. I don't know who you are. Let's keep it that way.

P.S. this thread has run it's course. IBTL
Old 12-19-2016, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Sorry Grouse. I call BS. I don't know why you feel you have to preen on this forum, and this is the 2nd time this week you've made an ass of yourself. Anybody that cleans their shotguns while they are loaded, and has an issue with LEO"s would be well advised to spend another 250k on psychiatric help.
Your right about one thing. I don't know who you are. Let's keep it that way.

P.S. this thread has run it's course. IBTL
Meh, think what you will. As I've stated before, public opinion is irrelevant to me. I can honestly tell you, that the "cleaning" excuse is something that was suggested to me by an RCMP officer and has worked for me in the past.
I don't clean my shotgun while it's loaded. I load it afterwards to ensure that the action cycles properly...
Maybe if you paid attention to my pro-marijuana posts you'd be able to guess as to the industry that I'm in. A large retainer with the best lawyers is nothing but an insurance policy.
Since you speak poorly of garlic vodka, we don't have much to talk about...
Old 12-19-2016, 09:23 PM

Quote:
You're not the answer the OP was looking for. I don't know what this ^^^ is answering...

You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna "take a knee to think things threw".
Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You're not the answer the OP was looking for. I don't know what this ^^^ is answering...

You know what I'm gonna do? I'm gonna "take a knee to think things threw".
I was simply suggesting that a firearm is not the best tool to use for self defense. You'll be in a much more unpleasant situation from the legal perspective if you were to shoot an intruder. Using a knife can be much more efficient in close quarters than a long barreled firearm.
I think that you meant "thinking things through"... "threw" is a past tense of "throw". Hicks make me smile!

Last edited by grouse_hunter; 12-19-2016 at 09:39 PM. Reason: shpelling
Old 12-19-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
:sHa_sarca sticlol:
Old 12-19-2016, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
:sHa_sarca sticlol:
Laugh it up bud, just stay away from Glory Hills road
Old 12-19-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I was simply suggesting that a firearm is not the best tool to use for self defense. You'll be in a munch more unpleasant situation from the legal perspective if you were to shoot an intruder. Using a knife can be much more efficient in close quarters than a long barreled firearm.
I think that you meant "thinking things through"... "threw" is a past tense of "throw". Hicks make me smile!
I think you'll find people take the literary corrections better from a guy who doesn't use the word munch instead of much....... yes hicks are entertaining