Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2016, 07:13 PM

Pepper spray in the eyes sounds like just what the judge should order.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2016, 07:18 PM

Almost every response here is going to land you in jail. These are just possessions and not worth getting your self hurt or a family member. These guys are not worth getting yourself a criminal record either. If you are a hunter using a weapon can get your PAL revoked as well, that includes a paintball gun.

Call the cops man none of those guys are worth finding out who is tougher.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:24 PM

You take a weapon that's intent. Easy to prove. You go to jail. Put up cameras and call the cops.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:26 PM

Just remember, no matter what you choose to do, they already know where you live, and dirt bags love the chance to get even.

Everyone be safe out there.

If you feel the need to intervene, all you need to do is relay the message that the police are on their way, regardless if you called them or not. The threat of incoming police is usually enough to send them running!!! These thieves are usually cowards anyway!

You have pretty much zero rights as far as self defence. if you run out after them. You can defend your self if attacked basicly. now if you are safe in your house and decide to stop said thief then you could be tried for assualt potentially with a weapon. The idea being that you would call the cops and let them deal with it. Now im not saying what you should or shouldnt do just keep in mind your not really protected. I would double check the laws yourself, the charge you get could be worse then theirs.

Your best bet is to take anything of value inside. Hope it gets better for you but a plate aint worth your life. They might not run away next time.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I have a question for hog farmers reading this thread: Will a hog carcass rolled up in chain link fencing sink to the bottom of a deep water body? Asking for a friend......

Re the big photo: Is that shotgun pellets? If so, it looks good on him!
Should

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-18-2016, 07:57 PM
Banned

Meh, a lot of you sound like delicate Liberal flowers. Whatever happened to holding your ground and being a man who's ready to defend his family and property? It's quite unlikely that the intruders/burglars will contact the police. Let 'er rip! They'll remember the lesson while they are trying to determine the number of missing teeth.
Make sure that you have a good lawyer on retainer and do not give any statements to the police.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:17 PM

Default Self defence

If you are going to take law into your own hands the last person you want to call is the cops. No cops, no investigation.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:24 PM

There is nothing that will make them run like the racking of a 12 gauge pump shot gun. 2nd place goes to a couple 150 pound rottweilers being let loose.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:25 PM

Default Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

If anyone comes into my house they get 3, 00 shells as fast as I can pull the trigger. Outside definitely get a gun pointed at them probably won't fire unless they come at me. I will go to court to defend my right to defend myself before I let them have the chance to evenmpotentially harm me or mine
Old 12-18-2016, 08:36 PM
Banned

Fer cryin out loud! This is Canada! Shut up and take it like a man. If someone is stealing something from you it's because you have too much and they don't have enough.

The government will let you know when you can or can't do something. That's what they're here for. This isn't 1960 anymore. You lay a beating on someone just for stealing your hard earned possessions and you are going to get punished. Severely. You start discouraging crime and the government is going to start getting nervous that their justice industry will suffer. They ain't gonna let that happen.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:36 PM

This is kanada. Hide in your house and pray and phone the "police" . They will come eventually in an hour or 6. If the criminals try to escalate the crime into violence and accidentally kill,maim or rape you or your family, do not worry as the "police" will arrive eventually and clean up the crime scene and put down a proper chalk outline. Do not fight back or offer any resistance as it is better to be a victim( according to the 1970-90`s liberals) than to protect yourself or allow your loved one`s to protect themselves. There is a reason for non castle-laws and continued civil disarmament in this kanada !
Old 12-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
There is nothing that will make them run like the racking of a 12 gauge pump shot gun. 2nd place goes to a couple 150 pound rottweilers being let loose.
The sound of a 12 gauge pump action being loaded is very memorable! You can always yell out "Don't move! Police!" to further confuse the intruder.
Personally I prefer the Central European approach - a table leg with nails driven through it. Silent yet effective.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

No the real answer is deal with it.

If you wake. Good.

If you act . Good

If you posture have fun.

Fire.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIBACKPACKER View Post
It's better to scare them away. You don't ever know if they are armed. If you want to protect yourself do nothing. Is your life worth a plate. Do you have a family that depends on you. Would you want to enjoy them or look down on them. I've had a few buddies that found out the hard way and never lived to tell about it. If the little a holes want it they are going to take it.
Now if you still want to do something about it call the cops and say your sure you saw them out there with a gun. They will come in less time then those guys can break the windows.
You know it should be ask the thieves if stealing the plate is worth their life, if there was more scum like this getting hurt or killed I'm pretty sure your theft rate would drop significantly, people would realize geeze maybe I better not try and take this truck tonight, there's a guy in the house that could shoot me, instead we find 20% of them give them a sentence picking up garbage at a local park and then they're back out that night, They know they can get away with it!
Old 12-18-2016, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy50 View Post
last night i caught two guys trying to steal the plates off my truck in my back alley driveway. they escaped by mere seconds in their vehicle(with no plate on it) I have a motion detector in the back that chimes in my house when there is activity on the driveway. i caught another guy taking a whizz on the driveway. on several occasions i have ran outside. sometimes a rabbit, sometimes a guy looking in vehices. what should i be taking with me back there outside of a firearm to protect myself if they decide not to run away? calling the police is a waste of time because the windows would be smashed long before they ever arrived. i am not the type of person who wants to injure anybody but i do want to protect my property without getting stabbed doing it.. any suggestions?
Number one defensive offence weapon you should always carry is your cell phone. Even have 911 on the line while your walking to the back.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmurphy View Post
Just remember, no matter what you choose to do, they already know where you live, and dirt bags love the chance to get even.

Everyone be safe out there.
Unless they see you coming from your home, they don't know who you are, or where you live. It could just as easily be a neighbor as the homeowner. That is also why I would use stealth, so they don't see me coming, until their eyes are watering from the pepper spray. And if you run away in a direction opposite your home, and then circle back home, it may convince them that you are not the homeowner.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:29 PM

Get some cameras and a intercom system. When your system goes off start recording on your cameras and use the intercom system to tell them the police are on the way and they're on video. Also get a dog to protect you and the family.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Number one defensive offence weapon you should always carry is your cell phone. Even have 911 on the line while your walking to the back.
X2 have 911 on the line before you ventilate their chest and yell he's coming at me! They will always have that on record.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:32 PM

Yes just dial 911 and hang up, the cops will be there in a heartbeat, just ask me how I know, ****ed off with the phone, no worky, dial 911 and hung up, the cops were in my house in 3 mins. not just one but 3 of them, wife out in the driveway unloading camper. And they ask her if she needed help.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I've heard that wasp spray has better effectiveness and standoff potential than bear spray. With multiple perp's it seems prudent to not be running in unprepared. Keep in mind that car thieves typically have a flat screwdriver on them and with the drug issue these days many are no only desperate, but highly irrational. People with burning eyes are a bit easier to submit . Big 'ol heavy zip ties and call the authorities.
wasp spray got tested vs pepper spray on a defence show on tv , it didn't slow the attacker down at all , i was kinda suprised how little it did , you'd think it would burn but it did nothing. penetrating oil on the other hand i can tell you from experience burns like hell.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolpete1 View Post
wasp spray got tested vs pepper spray on a defence show on tv , it didn't slow the attacker down at all , i was kinda suprised how little it did , you'd think it would burn but it did nothing. penetrating oil on the other hand i can tell you from experience burns like hell.
Well then, a good piece of hickory it is!! After one incident years back I've thrown together a shoulder bag with a flashlight .......etc......... for unwelcome visitors, be they late night or otherwise. Nothing in it that would get a fellow in trouble though. I think it might be want for some big zip ties though.
Old 12-18-2016, 09:46 PM

Default This is Canada

If you engage and win, you may be going to jail.
If you engage and lose, you may go to the hospital or morgue.

Have insurance and call police.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Fer cryin out loud! This is Canada! Shut up and take it like a man. If someone is stealing something from you it's because you have too much and they don't have enough.

The government will let you know when you can or can't do something. That's what they're here for. This isn't 1960 anymore. You lay a beating on someone just for stealing your hard earned possessions and you are going to get punished. Severely. You start discouraging crime and the government is going to start getting nervous that their justice industry will suffer. They ain't gonna let that happen.
Ah Rugs, I can always count on you buddy for the laugh I need.....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2016, 10:18 PM

Buy the best bear spray you can get , if it will stop a grizzly from chewing on you , it will stop a thief from stealing a lic plate

If you do decide to just call the cops , they will come very fast if you just happen to say "you think you seen one with a firearm"" and thought you heard shots fired
Old 12-18-2016, 10:41 PM

Default Training?

As for advise about self-defense - I would suggest some actual training in self defense.
I mean in an actual martial art which actually teaches self defense (Something like Karate, Ninjutsu, or Hap Ki Do) and not a sport martial art like MMA or BJJ.

I began taking martial arts about 10 years ago - one of the best decisions I have made. Has improved my life physically, mentally, and emotionally.

A few years of martial arts training would have you looking at this scenario very differently.

Yes there are legal issues but from a practical perspective there are real problems with using weapons.

Consider this:

If you walk up with a weapon - they may have one as well and pull it out because now they feel threatened.

Now you are a guy with a (insert your weapon of choice) up against a criminal who also has a weapon (perhaps more deadlier than yours).

Now consider that the people stealing your plate may not be fat lazy slouches, they may be well trained and experienced fighters. Now you are some dude with a weapon up against another dude that has actually trained in the use of weapons.

I'm not making any claims about being some martial art guru or anything -- I'm not the most skilled martial artist in the world.

However I do train three times a week for 1.5 hours each session for about the past 10 years. For at least 1 hour of those 4.5 per week, we practice with the use of training weapons (both offensively and defensively)....disarming attackers with training knives, training guns, bats, batons, pepper spray, ..... etc...all manner of weapons.

Now if you pull a weapon on me, I'm going to try and take it from you - with 10 years of practicing this, unless you are better trained than I (which I would always assume to be true in a real fight).... I am betting my chances of disarming you are at least fair.

This being said - I always assume everyone else is better trained than myself, so avoiding the confrontation in the first place is always the best option. The martial arts training comes in when you do not have a choice in avoiding the confrontation - they are bringing the fight to you and you cannot flee.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:42 PM

A manure fork gives a lot of range and will put hillbilly fear into anyone.
Old 12-18-2016, 10:51 PM
Banned

This would work, might want to remove the barbed wire but...

You're in the same boat as many others, wanting to defend property but that can get you in trouble. Criminal cries foul, and you face prosecution - wonderful country Canada has turned into...
Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
This would work, might want to remove the barbed wire but...

You're in the same boat as many others, wanting to defend property but that can get you in trouble. Criminal cries foul, and you face prosecution - wonderful country Canada has turned into...
Lucille?