Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 PM

Default Wasp Invasion

This week we have been bombarded with wasps in my 2 maple trees in front of my house.There are hundreds feeding on the leaves or the sap or something I dont know.Luckily they are just sticking to the trees but you cannot move thru the yard without walking thru a buzz storm.I was wondering if this is a common thing or am I just unlucky.They usually get more aggresive this time of the year but I have never seen mass numbers like this.Anyone else having issues like I am?
Old 08-17-2018, 09:42 PM

Yes wasps are EVERYWHERE. Don’t remember it being this bad ever. Just started this week around here.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:45 PM

I have never seen it this bad. Every store in Camrose that I went to, was sold out of wasp traps, so I built some out of coke bottles, and I caught about 80 wasps in one day.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:49 PM

Hot dry weather . Feeding for the winter.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:04 PM

Crap Tire sells a plastic bag with a yellow plastic piece inside, you make a hole pop the plastic piece out and then fill with water and hang in a tree. I forget the name.
I used one last year and killed hundreds of wasps, they started swarming the bag as I was hanging it. This year, no wasps...coincidence? I think not.
JH
Old 08-17-2018, 10:25 PM

My neighbor catches 30 per day in these, had to go to Red Deer & got 2 traps from Cdn Tire for $8.00 each, they sold out or have them back ordered. Traps look similar to a hummingbird feeder, yellow plastic shape as per pic with numerous entrance holes, comes with a nylon rope to hang from eves or tree branch, wasp & bottle flies go in, can't get out & then drown in the liquid. Filled mine with pineapple/orange juice & spoon sugar, got a bunch yesterday & more today. Highly recommended & good investment can be used every year.

D.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/gr...3669p.html#srp

Old 08-18-2018, 12:33 AM

At home, west of Edmonton, Valemount BC and Kimberley BC are all bad this year. Odd why they are so bad everywhere. Here in Valemount they are smaller than at home by Edmonton and they are not aggressive at all. You can just swat them out of the way like a fly and they buzz off, but there’s lots!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:55 AM

Default wasps

hang a couple of small paper lunch type bags they will leave did it when camping and always seemed to work
Old 08-18-2018, 01:16 AM

For around the house, deck or in the garage.

Use 6 oz of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. If you need more, just double the ratio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wasp trap.jpg (25.7 KB, 177 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-18-2018, 01:26 AM

Default This works

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
Crap Tire sells a plastic bag with a yellow plastic piece inside, you make a hole pop the plastic piece out and then fill with water and hang in a tree. killed hundreds of wasps, they started swarming the bag as I was hanging it.JH
x2
Rescue Yellowjacket Trap
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rescue-.../6000191251008

This works - other stuff didn't. I had a serious wasp problem a few years ago. A nest under my front entrance. It caught hundreds. It has a warning about putting it up during the day so I got a hook ready in advance on a nearby tree in the shade (direct sunlight heats & evaporates the water). Then I added the water, went outside, hung it up & quickly got back in the house. Looking out my front window 20 seconds later, it was swarming with wasps.

They were just $5 back then so I bought another 8 and ended up handing them out to friends who were having wasp problems.

I used it again successfully last year at a different property.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:32 AM

Cut the top off of a plastic pop bottle so it looks like a funnel. Pop and brown sugar mix into the bottle about half full , and a couple stones so wind doesn't blow it over. Staple inverted top to base and set it out. Works great so far.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
For around the house, deck or in the garage.

Use 6 oz of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of salt. If you need more, just double the ratio.
Hey , I'm for a bowl of soup at lunch , but ......I'll pass on that one
Old 08-18-2018, 10:55 AM

SO BAD the last couple weeks here. Never seen so many in my life. They are aggresive to boot. Lots of people being stung/bit at work. They love the high vis vests.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:56 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
Crap Tire sells a plastic bag with a yellow plastic piece inside, you make a hole pop the plastic piece out and then fill with water and hang in a tree. I forget the name.
I used one last year and killed hundreds of wasps, they started swarming the bag as I was hanging it. This year, no wasps...coincidence? I think not.
JH

Lol made my day, thanks for that!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....