Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 10:31 PM

Default Russian svt40 reloading help?

I was wondering if anyone has had good luck reloading for the Russian SVT40?
Old 01-12-2018, 11:19 PM

What’s a point? The surplus ammo is cheap enough. It’s corrosive, so you should clean your gun after shooting it but it’s not a biggie. I also tried shooting the non corrosive Barnaul ammo but found it too expensive and the recoil is stronger.
PS . I have one and I just love this gun! It’s like an SKS on steroids, LOL!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Default no reason

You can't reload for it except the shorter brass life with the chamber flutes and locating spent brass after it goes airborne.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:59 PM

Hello

You can have good luck reloading for it. The key to it is making sure you keep the brass annealed due to the neck stretch it will give the case. When they start cracking even after being annealed its new brass time. I was shooting surplus at the range and saved the good stuff for the deer and moose. Best set of rounds I found for the one I had was shooting 4-5" at 100 m. I may have been able to find one better but didn't have time. Best I got with surplus and factory was about 9" at 100m. Once you find the load the gun likes, you just set the gas port to match it. You will get a few ejection fails, but that is the same with changing between the factory stuff. As to chasing brass, setting a box at the corner of your shooting bench will get them all. It seemed to always throw the brass the same way. Best I got was 5 20 out of 20 in a row into the box. No chasing in my book.

TF
Old 02-22-2018, 05:42 AM

Default typo

It should have read "you can reload for it" Who likes to strip and wash a gun after every shooting session? Load some non-corrosive up.