Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 11:38 AM

Default Hunters without Borders!

It is really unfortunate that there is essentially zero standardization of hunting regulations between the Canadian provinces. I just recently became aware when trying to use my Alberta credentials so as to hunt with relatives in NB and also in Ontario this fall.

Anyone else on this forum aware of the myriad of differences?
Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 PM

Yup
Big differences
Just between Alberta and Saskatchewan
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 09-14-2017, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
Yup
Big differences
Just between Alberta and Saskatchewan
No kidding. Don't forget about BC either. Might as well be in different countries when talking big game regs. At least your migratory licence is pretty standard coast to coast to coast (I think).
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 PM

That's forsure I recently moved to central sask An been studying up on the hunting regs am sure a lot diff an talking with the guys at work here an they were just amazed that back home in Alberta we didn't have to wear blaze orange
Old 09-14-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

Of course they are different or most of us would be in sask hunting there mule deer and same goes both ways. What you think they are going to have it same province wide?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
That's forsure I recently moved to central sask An been studying up on the hunting regs am sure a lot diff an talking with the guys at work here an they were just amazed that back home in Alberta we didn't have to wear blaze orange
you can wear white in sask as well.hat has to be blaze orange or red.and you can wear yellow as well i think.lol.but not a yellow hat.confused yet?
Old 09-14-2017, 02:24 PM

if you live in nova scotia their wacky rule is if you want to keep deer meat in your freezer after april you need to apply for a permit.seriously
Old 09-14-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterLester View Post
It is really unfortunate that there is essentially zero standardization of hunting regulations between the Canadian provinces. I just recently became aware when trying to use my Alberta credentials so as to hunt with relatives in NB and also in Ontario this fall.

Anyone else on this forum aware of the myriad of differences?
You have to be kidding right???

Every zone in AB has different regulations as to what can be hunted, let alone what's to hunt in BC or SK.

What's good to hunt in AB, sure ain't gonna be the same in NB.
And that's a good thing.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:24 PM

Yea I don't see too much standardization across the country making a whole lot of sense when it comes to game management. It's hard enough for one province to get it right for their own boundaries let alone trying to get it right across the country. I think each province should be in charge of their own regulations but I think their should be more opportunities for Canadian non-residents to be able to hunt in other provinces, I shouldn't have to sell my kidney to go hunt in BC, Sask or the Yukon if I want too.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
if you live in nova scotia their wacky rule is if you want to keep deer meat in your freezer after april you need to apply for a permit.seriously
Since when? I'm originally from Nova Scotia and have never heard of that rule before?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw12 View Post
Since when? I'm originally from Nova Scotia and have never heard of that rule before?
Straight from the N.S. regs pretty easy to find.

Permit to Keep Meat
Deer Any harvested deer must be reported online or at a deer registration station (see page47).Any person in possession of deer meat must: a) retain their Deer Hunting Licenceand; b) ensure a confirmation number or registration seal is recorded on their Deer Hunting Licence. Once completed, the signed/sealed Deer Hunting Licence will serve as a valid meat storage permit, for the person who killed the deer, until April 30th of the following year. After April 30th, you must obtain a Storage Permit from Department of Natural Resources to store deer meat
Old 09-14-2017, 08:20 PM

Interesting I've never heard of that but I've also been gone for almost 10 years. Obviously knew about the tags and stuff but not the permit needed for keeping meat past April.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:26 PM
Banned

Are ther still portions of Albertastan game management units where a person cannot hunt on Sundays ?

I know there used to be,

Saskatchewan also,

Not sure if some other provinces also have no hunting zones on Sundays ??
Old 09-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkdump View Post
Are ther still portions of Albertastan game management units where a person cannot hunt on Sundays ?

I know there used to be,

Saskatchewan also,

Not sure if some other provinces also have no hunting zones on Sundays ??
No big game hunting in wmu 100's on sundays
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 AM

Angry What the hell did I just read?!?!!?

ABSOLUTLY NOT!

No damn way should anyone who does not live here have any say in how we manage our wildlife. And that includes the Supreme Court of more equals and eastern Canada.

Cold ****ing day in hell when I listen to some eastern know it all when it comes to hunting. all the little crap holes on the coast can keep their garbage. Bring Cash and onterrible ain't even worth discussing. I'll carry a gun where and when I please, store whatever I want in my freezer, and there will be no pumpkin hat requirements or royalties.

Far as I'm concerned, it should require a birth certificate or 3 years of Alberta income tax receipts to get a hunting license or work in AEP/F&W. Don't like it? Go home or buy a hunt in Texas.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:20 AM

AMEN BROTHA' BLADE!!!!!

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-15-2017, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
ABSOLUTLY NOT!

No damn way should anyone who does not live here have any say in how we manage our wildlife. And that includes the Supreme Court of more equals and eastern Canada.

Cold ****ing day in hell when I listen to some eastern know it all when it comes to hunting. all the little crap holes on the coast can keep their garbage. Bring Cash and onterrible ain't even worth discussing. I'll carry a gun where and when I please, store whatever I want in my freezer, and there will be no pumpkin hat requirements or royalties.

Far as I'm concerned, it should require a birth certificate or 3 years of Alberta income tax receipts to get a hunting license or work in AEP/F&W. Don't like it? Go home or buy a hunt in Texas.
Exactly right!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

One does not dictate what another shall doooooooo....we are albertans, Vikings, cross unto our lands and you end up mixed in with the sausage meat...

I get it , one province does not spill over thier regs...we are still trying to figure out what the heck is going on here let alone if we became a complete mosh pit...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-15-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
ABSOLUTLY NOT!

Exactly, it's our resource, so we should manage it as we see fit. And we should start managing that resource more for our residents, as Saskatchewan does.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
AMEN BROTHA' BLADE!!!!!

Haha I shouldn't think, speak or post without coffee. The angry drill instructor that looks like me shows up too often. It was a good rant though

Anyway, I want to clarify I was referring to wildlife policy and the double dippers who don't live here and buy resident licenses/draws. No problem with the hunter host system and those who use it honestly.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
ABSOLUTLY NOT!

Well said!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:42 PM

Quote:
ABSOLUTLY NOT!

x2 Protect what is yours in every way possible,once gone it's gone for decades or much long and no one from another province should tell you how to do it,RIGHT ON 3Blade.