Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-14-2017, 10:57 PM

Default 442 next year

Hey everyone, so I've been doing some reading and research in the zone for me and a buddy who are gonna do a week and a half hunt for a big horn next year. I've read that, that zone is pretty busy with hunters going up the mountains. I'm curious to know how far people usually hike until they get to the mountains to hunt? Im a 24 year old guy who has guided for goats in BC before so I am physically capipable of a long hike, but I'm trying to figure out how long we will need to hike in order to get away from the crowds.

I've also read that rock lake is a decent hike to get into 442 or to get to the hunting spots. I am willing to hike for a day or two just to get into a spot where no one else is going to be, socmy wiestion is what is the norm for people.

On a side note, I had a thread last week about bears in 349 for my hunt that I did last weekend. Only saw two black bears but stalked up on a grizz to 150 yards, and got some decent film of it. Pretty cool time.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Berta
Old 09-15-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berta-04 View Post
Hey everyone, so I've been doing some reading and research in the zone for me and a buddy who are gonna do a week and a half hunt for a big horn next year. I've read that, that zone is pretty busy with hunters going up the mountains. I'm curious to know how far people usually hike until they get to the mountains to hunt? Im a 24 year old guy who has guided for goats in BC before so I am physically capipable of a long hike, but I'm trying to figure out how long we will need to hike in order to get away from the crowds.

I've also read that rock lake is a decent hike to get into 442 or to get to the hunting spots. I am willing to hike for a day or two just to get into a spot where no one else is going to be, socmy wiestion is what is the norm for people.

On a side note, I had a thread last week about bears in 349 for my hunt that I did last weekend. Only saw two black bears but stalked up on a grizz to 150 yards, and got some decent film of it. Pretty cool time.

Thanks for all the advice guys,

Berta

First rock lake is not in 442 but in wmu 440. Second you would have to hike for a day or so depending were you went I. But it can be pretty busy wet and cold in that part of the rockies.

Gbuss
Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 AM

Have fun.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:29 PM

442 is at least a minimum two days for 99% of the sheep hunters to get to from rock lake, you'll be hard pressed to beat anyone on a horse in to it as well, this year in that area there were a TON of people left from rock lake to get in to 442. If it is a wet year abs you're going on foot probably count on 3 days to be anywhere you might have a chance of being away from other hunters but don't count on it. That being said we went in from rock lake after the opener rush this year and saw nobody where we were hunting only people on the trails. If your friend has never done it before I'd suggest a closer spot in 440 for his first backpack hubt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk