Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 10:16 PM

Default Success calling wolves?

Wondering if anybody has any advice on calling wolves. Rabbit distress vs coyote vocals vs wolf howls? Was calling coyotes the other day when I ran into wolf tracks and wouldn't you know they were very close by and started howling. No more than 500 yds. Tried a few different distress calls with no luck. They just stayed put in the bush a periodically howled. I never did try coyote vocals. Thought of it later that evening that I maybe should have gave it a go as I understand the don't like yotes.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:46 PM

Coyote howl will work. They hate coyotes. Wolf howl is better. If they answer, moose calf or some sort of big game distress call. Keep calling, howling, eventually they mess up and you'll kill em. Just keep on em, let them make the first and last mistake.
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 AM

I had a similar situation once and the pack hung up at about 300 yards and one came in alone down wind of me.

A coyote decoy would help I think. Twice I have had wolves charge my dogs immediately upon spotting them.

If you get wolves to come and you shoot one, hold tight and wait. Often the rest of the pack will come back. I've got 3 doubles this way and a friend of mine shot 5 in one setting.

Gerry Burnie
Old 01-07-2017, 10:26 AM

In my experience, wolves are very very easy to call in - just howl. Your voice is fine, does not need to be perfect. They are territorial they will come right in, often at a run. Coyotes I have only had success with distress calls, and I have called in a lot. But I read about people calling in coyotes so I think depends on the area, and time of year.

The hard part with wolves is finding them because they travel so far and need to be close enough to hear you call. If you get onto fresh sign you will certainly have them come in. Day old sign could mean they are many miles away. There is nothing more exciting having a big dog or a pack of them running towards you!

You may or may not get a response to your howl right away. Sometimes they will respond from a long ways a way and keep howling as they get closer, sometimes they will run in silently and only call when they are close and trying to figure out what you are! Getting into prime time for predator hunting in another week or two.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I had a similar situation once and the pack hung up at about 300 yards and one came in alone down wind of me.

A coyote decoy would help I think. Twice I have had wolves charge my dogs immediately upon spotting them.

If you get wolves to come and you shoot one, hold tight and wait. Often the rest of the pack will come back. I've got 3 doubles this way and a friend of mine shot 5 in one setting.

Getting 5 in one sitting is absolutely phenomenal, very impressive!
I have never tried it, but I was thinking of taking my dog with me this afternoon and tieing him to a tree a little ways away. He is a big dog with a good bark and should really pull them. I bet they would go nuts if they saw him (and smell him).
Old 01-07-2017, 11:21 AM

they knew you were there / winded you

set up in a different spot close and watch your wind

here is how I call them in
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=230820

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=231443

good luck and keep at it sometime's it take a few set up's

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Wondering if anybody has any advice on calling wolves. Rabbit distress vs coyote vocals vs wolf howls? Was calling coyotes the other day when I ran into wolf tracks and wouldn't you know they were very close by and started howling. No more than 500 yds. Tried a few different distress calls with no luck. They just stayed put in the bush a periodically howled. I never did try coyote vocals. Thought of it later that evening that I maybe should have gave it a go as I understand the don't like yotes.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Getting 5 in one sitting is absolutely phenomenal, very impressive!
I have never tried it, but I was thinking of taking my dog with me this afternoon and tieing him to a tree a little ways away. He is a big dog with a good bark and should really pull them. I bet they would go nuts if they saw him (and smell him).
Is this legal?
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
In my experience, wolves are very very easy to call in - just howl. Your voice is fine, does not need to be perfect. They are territorial they will come right in, often at a run. Coyotes I have only had success with distress calls, and I have called in a lot. But I read about people calling in coyotes so I think depends on the area, and time of year.

The hard part with wolves is finding them because they travel so far and need to be close enough to hear you call. If you get onto fresh sign you will certainly have them come in. Day old sign could mean they are many miles away. There is nothing more exciting having a big dog or a pack of them running towards you!

You may or may not get a response to your howl right away. Sometimes they will respond from a long ways a way and keep howling as they get closer, sometimes they will run in silently and only call when they are close and trying to figure out what you are! Getting into prime time for predator hunting in another week or two.
You should post a picture of some of the wolves you've called in and shot. Everybody likes seeing wolves 😊
Old 01-07-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnDawg View Post
Is this legal?
Think they call that baiting but baiting is usually done are with dead critters
Old 01-07-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
Coyote howl will work. They hate coyotes. Wolf howl is better. If they answer, moose calf or some sort of big game distress call. Keep calling, howling, eventually they mess up and you'll kill em. Just keep on em, let them make the first and last mistake.
Thought using a big game (moose or deer) distress call wasn't legal??
Old 01-07-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Thought using a big game (moose or deer) distress call wasn't legal??
Never heard that one before?
Old 01-07-2017, 02:59 PM

Only illegal on an e-caller. mouth blown calls are good to go
Old 01-07-2017, 04:22 PM

Default wolf howling

Several times I've had howling wolves respond to my howls. Great experience.
Deer hunting a couple of yrs. ago west of Rocky, I howled in 2 wolves within 200 yds. Since I only shoot what I eat, I just enjoyed the show.
Old 01-07-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHW View Post
Several times I've had howling wolves respond to my howls. Great experience.
Deer hunting a couple of yrs. ago west of Rocky, I howled in 2 wolves within 200 yds. Since I only shoot what I eat, I just enjoyed the show.
the wolves eat what you do .. deer .. next time I hope you shoot ....
Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Default Wolf Call

Ive had responses to wolf howls.
I've called wolves with rabbit distress.
Cow elk calls work great too especially around a body of water like a frozen river.
Be mindful of Cats depending on where you are. They are quiet.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Default e-calls

Does someone have a link to where it says in the reqs (cant access the page where im at right now) that big game (moose, elk, deer) is illegal to use for predators? the way I read it, it was only illegal to use the call for big game hunting but legal for predators.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Default General Regulations

It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife:

recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except; 1) when hunting migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese, or 2) using electronic calls to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hares, or rodents).
Old 09-13-2017, 07:07 PM

A little off topic, can someone clarify the wolf season. The regs say; "...from the opening of ANY big game season in a particular WMU..."

Does this include big game owning to archery? And if so, is rifle hunting of wolves allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2017, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcalberta View Post
A little off topic, can someone clarify the wolf season. The regs say; "...from the opening of ANY big game season in a particular WMU..."

Does this include big game owning to archery? And if so, is rifle hunting of wolves allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That should read; "Does this include big game opening to archery?"....