Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default Sandhill crane season?

I have been seeing cranes in the Calling lake area, tons of them and also by Big Lake. Flying all day and now at 8:30 to and fro. Curious why Alberta won't open a season for them. Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM

Won't be a season in Alberta for many yrs if ever.thats from a reliable source.unfortunetly.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:40 PM

It might well relate to not wanting folks to shoot the Whooping Cranes. Sure, the two don't look much alike, but I'd bet there are a good number of swans shot in our province every year by morons who can't tell them from a Snow Goose. Not to mention that at sloughs in the Calgary area, I have found shot gulls, grebes, night-herons, etc.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 09-13-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
It might well relate to not wanting folks to shoot the Whooping Cranes. Sure, the two don't look much alike, but I'd bet there are a good number of swans shot in our province every year by morons who can't tell them from a Snow Goose. Not to mention that at sloughs in the Calgary area, I have found shot gulls, grebes, night-herons, etc.
Ya I guess whooping cranes use the same migration route.
There's more than a healthy population of swans so I don't know why AB doesn't capitalize and sell a few tags for them.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Ya I guess whooping cranes use the same migration route.
There's more than a healthy population of swans so I don't know why AB doesn't capitalize and sell a few tags for them.
Exactly, there is a season in Montana for Tundra swans, they literally come into my spread in the spring so I may as well shoot a few swans if the snows dont want to.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
they literally come into my spread in the spring so I may as well shoot a few swans if the snows dont want to.
Snow geese shoot swans?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Snow geese shoot swans?
Yea dude, them snows tend to steal shotguns from the hunters as a way to really embarrass them.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
Exactly, there is a season in Montana for Tundra swans, they literally come into my spread in the spring so I may as well shoot a few swans if the snows dont want to.
I see thousands of swans in the fall it seems; I don't think a small lottery type draw would hurt.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
It might well relate to not wanting folks to shoot the Whooping Cranes. .

That's exactly where there is no Sandhill season in Ab. Sask gets to shoot the "ribeyes of the sky" but not sure if other provinces do as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:58 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Not sure how any of this would be affected by a sandhill season. Those idiots who shoot these birds don't care about seasons or anything else.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 AM

Other than local closures to protect Whooping Cranes, Saskatchewan seems to manage just fine with a Sandhill crane season.

I won't say that there has never been a Whooper shot, because there has - but it is rare indeed.

Still, having the major migration route through Last Mountain and a stop over in Radisson area, we still manage to harvest Sandhill Cranes without endangering protected Whoopers.

I suspect history and politics in play in Alberta, rather than biologically based management of the species.