Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-03-2019, 08:56 AM

Default 9mm (or other) PCC

Hey guys, I'm in the market for a pistol calibre carbine after noticing a large gap between 22LR and 7.62 in my collection Haha. So far my top 2 contenders are the Chiapa/Citadel M1-9 and the Ruger PC carbine, both in 9mm. Anyone have any experience with these 2? Quite the price difference between the pair, moreso curious if the Ruger is worth double the Chiapa. Any other contenders to have a look at?
Thanks very much!
Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 AM

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Chiapa and nothing but good things about the Ruger. Disclaimer... I've never owned either, but I'm seriously looking at the Ruger.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Banned

A friend of mine has one of these https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/rifles/sub2000/
With a red dot it is quite accurate.
Old 05-03-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
I've heard nothing but bad things about the Chiapa and nothing but good things about the Ruger. Disclaimer... I've never owned either, but I'm seriously looking at the Ruger.
Same. And the Ruger is on sale at Cabelas right now.

Colin
Old 05-04-2019, 10:50 AM

Take a look at the Freedom Ordnance FX-9. I picked one up for myself (although still awaiting delivery, so I can't personally comment on performance). But I've heard very good things about them. Accept Glock mags, and has a familiar AR-15 platform.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:43 PM

The Ruger PC9 is an impressive gun, and while I'm not a semi-guy...I just had to try one. (pictured below) I've only put 350 rounds of 115gr. through it, not a single stoppage, failure to feed/eject, etc. Even the trigger is great on the thing. My problem is, I've been bitten by the Tikka bug...so I may not be able to keep both. lol

I haven't listed it for sale (here or elsewhere) but here is what she looks like. I do believe Ruger really got this gun right. The only other PCCs I've shot were the KelTec (which felt like a toy in comparison) and a JR Carbine. I've looked at/pined for one of the FX Carbines too, because I've never owned an AR and like the idea...but I have handled one, and like what I saw. More $ than the Ruger, and for a gun that lacks the good ergonomics of a Ruger. The new one I handled felt so dry that when I operated the charging handle, it felt like there was fine sand in the action...but I've read those ship very dry.

Anyhow, no arguing against 9mm as a fun, relatively low-cost caliber to plink with.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:00 PM

I’d like to have one ... just wondering what the future holds for it. Semi that takes a glock magazine ...
Old 05-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Myself I'm drawn to the Kris Vector, just hiding my shekels now to buy myself one for Christmas
Old 05-05-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless_84 View Post
Take a look at the Freedom Ordnance FX-9. I picked one up for myself (although still awaiting delivery, so I can't personally comment on performance). But I've heard very good things about them. Accept Glock mags, and has a familiar AR-15 platform.
Are these extremely low supply, or have they not really landed in Canada yet. A large number of dealers are only offering presale deposit sales. When and where did you get one?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Carbine

Picked up the Ruger PPC, but havent had time to give it an honest try or review yet. Read good things about them. It is heavier than I thought it would be.

Something you may want to look at is a lever action carbine in .38/.357. I have a Rossi Puma and find I use it lots for gophers, targets, hikes, etc. Cheap to shoot and light to carry around.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:29 PM

Just a note that the Ruger PC Carbine is on sale at Cabela's right now

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/11350...310554&ps=True
Old 05-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
Are these extremely low supply, or have they not really landed in Canada yet. A large number of dealers are only offering presale deposit sales. When and where did you get one?
They've been in Canada for a little while now, but seem to be in short supply. From what I have observed the PC carbines have become increasingly popular, and so whatever makes it to Canada get gobbled up fairly quickly. I ordered through Red Deer Shooting Centre, as they had a couple extras that came in with their larger order, and I managed to get one for myself. Wolverine Supplies, Tenda, and I'm sure a few other places will accept orders, but earliest I saw was for June - and I don't know if that has now changed to an even later date if those orders have already been placed.

Again, I don't yet have personal experience with mine, as the other item is holding up the shipment, and I'm okay waiting for everything to ship at the same time. But it seems like they're good little rifles.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:02 PM

I got one as well at cabelas on sale . so far works great , easy to use sights , feels well made . I know vendors are bringing in a Non-res hipoint 9mm carbine soon , looks like for $400ish .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0480.jpg (49.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0483.jpg (47.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-07-2019, 12:43 AM
Banned

Have you considered a Kel Tec sub 2000? They do have a Canadian edition in 40 now. I think it’s hard to come by and sell fast but a fun gun none the less. I’ve got one in 9 and I’m very happy with it over all. Only con I would say is it doesn’t like glock ten round mags when she gets a little dirty. It loves kci pinned mags clean or dirty however 👍
Old 05-07-2019, 07:43 AM

I have many thousands of rounds thru my JR with no issues.

Would like to try an FX9

Old 05-07-2019, 08:10 AM

Default 9mm pcc

Love the FX-9 Easier to clean than the JRC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0061.jpg (115.5 KB, 29 views)