Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 08:00 AM

Easiest trade? Voting Liberal , Sitting home and collecting universal basic income may soon be an option.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
Easiest trade? Voting Liberal , Sitting home and collecting universal basic income may soon be an option.
This is likely true, sadly.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:18 AM

I am currently back at school, starting a new trade. I am a second year machinist and there is nothing easy about the school whilst working and raising a family.
Good luck I hope you find something, personally I've always thought an insulation apprenticeship was a joke, maybe that's what you are looking for.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I will sum this thread up...the easiest trade out there is the one(s) you love to do!!!! Might take some time to find it so explore because it really would suck to get up every morning with the burden of I hate my job! Feet hitting the floor first thing in the morning and your positively charged to meet the day is awesome.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-25-2021, 08:26 AM
Banned

I’d advise you to do what you enjoy and if math is a requirement, learn it. Having a career or not having a career is about more than math skills, it’s about doing something you enjoy. If you have a chance to go to work happy and come home happy everyday and the only thing holding you back is basic math skills then take the couple months to learn math and be happy the rest of your life. You can thank me in 20yrs
Old 02-25-2021, 08:47 AM

Bigotry among trades is hard to overcome insulating is actually a hard trade to learn lot's of math and trigonometry involved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
personally I've always thought an insulation apprenticeship was a joke, maybe that's what you are looking for.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Bigotry among trades is hard to overcome insulating is actually a hard trade to learn lot's of math and trigonometry involved

Agreed.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:38 PM

The owners make great money, morticians not even close. Considering what you do all day they are underpaid...but usually dont have too many people breathing down their neck so to speak.

Worst part of that job has to be the social impact..I knew a couple people who did it and were always dreading the “so, what do you do for work??” on dates.

They developed an interesting sense of humor though, one said crematorium work was excellent because the night shift was dead quiet...☹️

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
NO kidding. Helping my mom with my grandma's funeral. Her plot beside her husband has been waiting for her for 60 yrs. Still an arm and a leg to complete the deal.

Her son passed 3 weeks prior, his ashes will go in the same plot as his mom's, unbelievable how much that costs.

While there my mom did hers and dads final plot and resting place. Dad in the ground, mom cremated and put in after. Crazy how much that 1 plot and the remaining details cost. Not to mention there will be more costs for the final funerals etc when their day comes.

We knew a Funeral director, made good money doing it, just a sucky job always dealing with death and grieving people.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:44 PM

Look for users with really high post counts that post several times per day. Ask them if they are still working and what they do. Lol
Old 02-25-2021, 03:00 PM

Exclamation Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Look for users with really high post counts that post several times per day. Ask them if they are still working and what they do. Lol
Well done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg slow clap.jpg (48.3 KB, 54 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-25-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD111 View Post
The owners make great money, morticians not even close. Considering what you do all day they are underpaid...but usually dont have too many people breathing down their neck so to speak.

Worst part of that job has to be the social impact..I knew a couple people who did it and were always dreading the “so, what do you do for work??” on dates.

They developed an interesting sense of humor though, one said crematorium work was excellent because the night shift was dead quiet...☹️
Alcoholism is a common problem in the funeral trades, about as depressing as it gets.

Grizz
Old 02-25-2021, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
There's all sorts of engineering physics text- and study-problems available to show what is possible, however one example would be:

"If one-fourth of an electric cable of length 'L' and uniform density 'D' is hanging over the edge of an icy cable tray, how much work does an electrician have to do to slowly pull that last part of it up onto the tray?" -note that the length of the cable is constantly changing after he starts working on it, so the force he applies always varies.
I was thinking in typical every lives .... that was were my comment was going more or less.

Of course in my professional career, before I swindled my way into management, I had to think for a living. Spent years as the Industrial/Quality Engineer staring at SPC data, looking at process and measurements calculating/breaking/testing/designing all sorts of things, and using my brain.

I was more or less thinking about "outside of work" and I seriously can't think of a time I needed it.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:48 PM

Gynaecology is good work if you can get it......I actually had an uncle that was one, he DID say it was a good job, only bad thing was, after 20 years he developed tunnel vision.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Haha zing!! ^
Old 02-25-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

Yuppers. You seen them doing insulating bricks in a big vessel???
Old 02-25-2021, 10:51 PM

My 2001 Polaris XLC 700 for a fellows 2004 Honda Rancher 400, no brainer.
Easiest trade out there, at the time.

TBark
Old 02-26-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBark View Post
My 2001 Polaris XLC 700 for a fellows 2004 Honda Rancher 400, no brainer.
Easiest trade out there, at the time.

TBark
Old 02-26-2021, 08:26 AM

Go to the Alberta Trade Secrets website, look at the trades listed and their descriptions, somewhere in there it describes the math level required.
Formulate a plan for yourself from the information you glean.
First and foremost is it a trade you’d like to do?
Secondly what sort of work environment will you be asked to work in, and can you be happy in that environment?
Thirdly, can you commit to the wage, and expectations of being on EI to go to school?

The old adage of “find a job you love, and never work another day in your life” is something you should strive for........(not necessarily possible, mind you)

There are no absolutes
Old 02-26-2021, 08:49 AM

Even laborers have a union.

Grizz
Old 02-26-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
Yuppers. You seen them doing insulating bricks in a big vessel???
Been in many a boiler stacking bricks, pinning ceramic fire etc. in every trade there's the good and the bad.

ever see electricians pull wires? they still have to pass the Red seal test
Old 02-26-2021, 11:29 AM

Old 02-26-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Yes!
Old 02-26-2021, 12:46 PM

Not really a trade but look into the water/wastewater industry.

In Alberta the four disciplines are:

Water Treatment
Water Distribution
Wastewater Collection
Wastewater Treatment

Depending which discipline you end up in, the work can be very rewarding and not too physically demanding. Obviously the water disciplines would be cleaner than wastewater side of things. In smaller towns and cities you would likely work in all four disciplines, where in the larger municipalities you could be doing only one discipline and specialized in a specific role.

The math can be challenging depending which level of certification you would like to achieve. Level I and II are not bad and most operators stay at this level.

Typical job duties vary quite a bit and I would research what each discipline consists of. Could be doing anything from monitoring the SCADA to flushing hydrants to working on a crew repairing sewer mains.

I believe NAIT also runs a one year program now (water/wastewater technician) which can be used towards your certification requirements, and may help get your foot in the door in the industry.
Old 02-27-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
Sounds like you should get into politics , you've got all the qualifications .
x2

Tags
trade