Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-19-2021, 02:45 PM

Default Bears Around Slave Lake

Last season while deer hunting WMU 350 I came across a single black bear that promptly ran into the thick brush. Spent a few more days in the area and saw no additional bears. Hoping anyone who lives or hunts in the area could suggest an area where things are a little more wide open that would provide easier access to glass and stalk. Only have a week of vacation this spring so trying to make the most of it. Cheers.
Old 02-19-2021, 03:53 PM

Pipelines, cut lines, and open hill sides, when the first greens show up. No shortage of bears up there. One reason baiting is so popular is because in thick bush it's about the only way to see them.

Grizz
Old 02-19-2021, 04:08 PM

Watch out for grizz. There is no shortage and they are not far away.
Old 02-19-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
X2
Old 02-19-2021, 06:57 PM

Man you guys never fail. Literally can't even make it past 3 posts before the classic "watch out for grizz" fear mongering comes out.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Pipelines, cut lines, and open hill sides, when the first greens show up. No shortage of bears up there. One reason baiting is so popular is because in thick bush it's about the only way to see them.

Grizz
Isn't 350 a no baiting wmu because of grizzly presence?
Old 02-19-2021, 07:41 PM

Anywhere by red earth creek we see 20+ a day just drive roads glass logging and walk pipelines. Not exactly slave lake but you could fill both your tags in the same day if you weren’t picky.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
Isn't 350 a no baiting wmu because of grizzly presence?
Not sure, but lots of other opportunities up there as well.

Grizz
Old 02-19-2021, 08:58 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'll be cognizant of the Grizz in the area.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Anywhere by red earth creek we see 20+ a day just drive roads glass logging and walk pipelines. Not exactly slave lake but you could fill both your tags in the same day if you weren’t picky.
Would have never thought of heading up that way, but sounds like it is worth checking out. Appreciate the input.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:00 PM

Skid plates, tire chains, winch, chainsaw. It gets a little sticky up there.

Your only chance at spot and stalk is on cutlines. There is no “open” unless a fire went through, and it doesn’t stay open for long.

Don’t shoot a bear you plan to eat if it’s living within walking distance of a creek. They feed on spawning suckers in the spring and you won’t like what that does to the meat. I can find them without wanting to or looking on spring fishing trips, but have not yet found a nice fat one in the fall. Gonna head up north in sept this year.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Skid plates, tire chains, winch, chainsaw. It gets a little sticky up there.

Your only chance at spot and stalk is on cutlines. There is no “open” unless a fire went through, and it doesn’t stay open for long.

Don’t shoot a bear you plan to eat if it’s living within walking distance of a creek. They feed on spawning suckers in the spring and you won’t like what that does to the meat. I can find them without wanting to or looking on spring fishing trips, but have not yet found a nice fat one in the fall. Gonna head up north in sept this year.
The things I forget about because everywhere I have been has had decent forestry roads so far, so I appreciate the heads up.

I spent a few weeks between LLB and Slave Lake last year and saw tons of sign but not many bears, from everything I've read seems like there are pretty large populations in both areas so I'll just have to spend the time checking out the cuts and power lines.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post

Pretty much the story on the whole west half of the province. If one wished to avoid all areas that held g bears you'd be giving up a lot of opportunities.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Pretty much the story on the whole west half of the province. If one wished to avoid all areas that held g bears you'd be giving up a lot of opportunities.
No kidding
He just gave a heads up to keep your eyes open up, because the big boys are certainly around there, in case one didn't realize it of that area!
Don't believe he said avoid the area at all costs!
Relax folks
RBH
Old 02-20-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk-In-Pack-Out View Post
Last season while deer hunting WMU 350 I came across a single black bear that promptly ran into the thick brush. Spent a few more days in the area and saw no additional bears. Hoping anyone who lives or hunts in the area could suggest an area where things are a little more wide open that would provide easier access to glass and stalk. Only have a week of vacation this spring so trying to make the most of it. Cheers.
Enjoy your week of of vacation in any event, good luck and enjoy yourself!
Old 02-21-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Be Hunting View Post
No kidding
He just gave a heads up to keep your eyes open up, because the big boys are certainly around there, in case one didn't realize it of that area!
Don't believe he said avoid the area at all costs!
Relax folks
RBH

Don't believe i said that either. Anyone that hunts Alberta knows where they are pretty much. My point was simply, If the possibility of encountering one is a concern, there's always the eastern half of the province, and even that isn't a 100% guarantee.
Old 02-21-2021, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Don't believe i said that either. Anyone that hunts Alberta knows where they are pretty much. My point was simply, If the possibility of encountering one is a concern, there's always the eastern half of the province, and even that isn't a 100% guarantee.
Black bears will eat you too , on occasion.

Grizz
Old 02-21-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rather Be Hunting View Post
Enjoy your week of of vacation in any event, good luck and enjoy yourself!
Thanks RBH, counting down the days til the season opens!
Old 02-21-2021, 11:59 AM

There are Bears up by Red Earth, lots of them but you don't need to go that far. Go north of Salve Lake then East on the Martin hills logging road. Check out the winter logging roads, you will need a quad, pipelines etc. There are a TON of bears within a few miles of town. Also the trail that runs along the north side of the Lake from Martin Beach has lots of bears along it. South of town there is a ton of good road and lots of bear on the pipelines and power lines. Cruise till you spot one, then stalk them. Bears like to be where they aren't disturbed. If you can see it from a major road they will likely avoid it during daylight. They will hang out back on the lease roads, green patches, beaver dams, new dandelions and clover patches and other places where people aren't coming through regularly.

Last edited by Dean2; 02-21-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 12:01 PM

Head up when the grass has turned green in the ditches, pipelines, ect....but not in the bush yet. Typically around May long. Drive/quad around. Shouldn't be difficult finding bears
Old 02-21-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Black bears will eat you too , on occasion.

Grizz

So will coyotes...if you've been dead long enough.
Old 02-21-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
There are Bears up by Red Earth, lots of them but you don't need to go that far. Go north of Salve Lake then East on the Martin hills logging road. Check out the winter logging roads, you will need a quad, pipelines etc. There are a TON of bears within a few miles of town. Also the trail that runs along the north side of the Lake from Martin Beach has lots of bears along it. South of town there is a ton of good road and lots of bear on the pipelines and power lines. Cruise till you spot one, then stalk them. Bears like to be where they aren't disturbed. If you can see it from a major road they will likely avoid it during daylight. They will hang out back on the lease roads, green patches, beaver dams, new dandelions and clover patches and other places where people aren't coming through regularly.
That is all the information I could possibly ask for and more, thanks Dean2. You helped me out on here during deer season and now for spring bear!
Old 02-22-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
That is all the information I could possibly ask for and more, thanks Dean2. You helped me out on here during deer season and now for spring bear!
Shouldn't be too hard to fill a tag , anywhere up there. I've done it in a week end.

Grizz
Old 02-24-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Dean2 is one of the most helpful people on this forum. Full stop. Wealth of knowledge on all kinds of things. A Renaissance Man of sorts.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
X2, I drive these leases everyday out by Loon, Lubicon for work, I see bears every single day in the spring, Some boomers too, If it wasn't an arm and a leg cost wise, I could have rugs in every room of the house. Some Cool Colored bears I seen last year as well.
Old 03-13-2021, 07:22 PM

Default Head to Smith wmu 511

Quote:
Head to Smith wmu 511 you will see black bear everywhere

Tags
slave lake, wmu 350, wmu 511