Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-28-2021, 07:38 AM

I saw this stock back in Oct when it was at $10 when the founder of Chewy came on board. Surprisingly it was a tweet from a fantasy football analyst I follow. I know zero about stock trading so I just passed on by. Kicking myself now.*

How hard is it to get an app or something online where you could drop $1000 into an account and buy this stuff. And then how hard is it to sell? *Like, spend $1000 on stocks in the AM and then let’s say 3 days later sell it when it goes up? *Almost like online gambling. Not betting the house but turning some kind of profit.*
Old 01-28-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post
I saw this stock back in Oct when it was at $10 when the founder of Chewy came on board. Surprisingly it was a tweet from a fantasy football analyst I follow. I know zero about stock trading so I just passed on by. Kicking myself now.*

How hard is it to get an app or something online where you could drop $1000 into an account and buy this stuff. And then how hard is it to sell? *Like, spend $1000 on stocks in the AM and then let’s say 3 days later sell it when it goes up? *Almost like online gambling. Not betting the house but turning some kind of profit.*
It's quite simple and easy to setup. I use questrade for my self directed RRSP and TFSA account and you can be ready to start investing/trading within a couple hours. They have to approve you government ID so it would depend on how busy they are to finish this step. Very simple program to use either on your computer or smartphone.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiddy View Post

I'm not sure what to say here other than there are many online platforms that allow you to buy and sell stock, your bank most definitely has a platform that will allow you to do this relatively cheaply.
HOWEVER, if your plan is to buy stock based on tips from Fantasy Football Analysts and use a 3 day buy and hold strategy you are going to eventually lose a pretty big chunk of whatever you put in.
Talk to a professional, get some real investing advice and avoid like the plague following the latest trend or investing fad or latest "hot stock" as touted by some guy with "insider" info. They all eventually crap out and timing your exit is pretty much a guessing game.
You will initially get a few wins, make some money, start thinking theres nothing to this game, start making bigger bets and then one day you're gonna wake up and its all down 50% and sliding.
Find a pro you like, make some good long term blue chip investments, gamble a little on the side on some start ups and start to slowly build a diversified portfolio. Just me 2 cents...
Good luck.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:00 AM

I heard Robinhood removed gamestop, amc, nokia, blackberry and will only let people sell
Old 01-28-2021, 08:08 AM

Forget GME, this is the way! Let's gooo!!

This is all thoroughly entertaining.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I heard Robinhood removed gamestop, amc, nokia, blackberry and will only let people sell
Yeah Robinhood and a few other brokers are only allowing selling now, probably so the hedge funds can actually find shares to cover their short positions. A lot of market manipulation happening from the big dogs and they are angry right now.
Old 01-28-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckistanian View Post
Yeah Robinhood and a few other brokers are only allowing selling now, probably so the hedge funds can actually find shares to cover their short positions. A lot of market manipulation happening from the big dogs and they are angry right now.
X2. The big players on Wall Street don't want anyone other than themselves being able to manipulate the market. The fact that they were able to create a sell only position for all those entities proves just how much power and influence they really have.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:03 AM

What do you think of some brokerage firms only allow you to sell GME now? I am thinking if there wasn’t stock manipulation before there definitely a stink of it now.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 AM

Wow looks like the house is closing a few of those table and force a sell on the players ...
Old 01-28-2021, 09:08 AM

Looks like a Wallstreet bailout.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:12 AM

Gamestonk to the moon!

Shows that no matter what we peasants will always loose a rigged game no matter how many pile on.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
What do you think of some brokerage firms only allow you to sell GME now? I am thinking if there wasn’t stock manipulation before there definitely a stink of it now.
Absolutely. I have no idea how this can even be legal.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:18 AM

Trading halted, GME -56%.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Trading halted, GME -56%.
Bid is currently $126.
Ask is currently $2000.

Imagine if someone accidentally hit "Market Buy" and got stuck paying $2000 per share!
Old 01-28-2021, 09:23 AM

Looks like the boats are pushing the panicking sardines in to a corner and the Whales are going to gobble it all up . The should be a sec investigation into all brokerage involved .
Old 01-28-2021, 09:26 AM

Fidelity is still taking. Definitely being throttled back.
Crazy, they don’t care how obvious the blatant disregard for laws and the average joe has become. Politics and money same same.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:34 AM

Price is still not low enough, to fix the short position situation though.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:34 AM

Watch Monday any brokerage that partook in this sell only scam will be out of business and Tuesday they will all have a healthy cheque for the company.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:46 AM

The fact that you can sell implies someone can buy, but not any day traders apparently. That is disgusting market manipulation. But it appears some are refusing to sell and price is going back up
Old 01-28-2021, 10:03 AM

robinhood app is the biggest fraud of them all. "Democratizing finance for all" except when we manipulate the market cause too many ordinary people are getting rich.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
Watch Monday any brokerage that partook in this sell only scam will be out of business and Tuesday they will all have a healthy cheque for the company.
Hedge-fund will invest a billion into the brokerage it’s a win win. Because they be able to pull this again rather then get catch off guard . Just like billionaire like to buy up the news papers and control the content.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:44 AM

trading in the stock has not halted, there are still brokerages that you can buy and sell through, only a few have stopped trading. They also have indicated they are not restricted to sell orders, they are restricted to closing out positions, meaning if you have stock you can sell, if you have a short position you can buy. I could still go to my traditional broker and buy Gamestop if I wanted to,its not like its completely closed off to buyers.
Old 01-28-2021, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
trading in the stock has not halted, there are still brokerages that you can buy and sell through, only a few have stopped trading. They also have indicated they are not restricted to sell orders, they are restricted to closing out positions, meaning if you have stock you can sell, if you have a short position you can buy. I could still go to my traditional broker and buy Gamestop if I wanted to,its not like its completely closed off to buyers.
So you think it's fair that millions of people that use Robinhood and a few other brokers can only sell their shares and can no longer buy from their broker? You don't think that's market manipulation when the stock price plummets on this news and those people have to transfer their accounts to new brokers meanwhile the multi billion dollar hedge funds can buy up shares at rock bottom? You don't think the hedge funds shorted the stock again at it's peak this morning then covered after the price hit the bottom?
Old 01-28-2021, 01:38 PM

Quote:
So you think it's fair that millions of people that use Robinhood and a few other brokers can only sell their shares and can no longer buy from their broker? You don't think that's market manipulation when the stock price plummets on this news and those people have to transfer their accounts to new brokers meanwhile the multi billion dollar hedge funds can buy up shares at rock bottom? You don't think the hedge funds shorted the stock again at it's peak this morning then covered after the price hit the bottom?
Who the **** is selling shorts knowing GME is gonna drop? GME will never hold that price, and will be back below $10 a share sooner rather than later.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:36 PM

The fact that this has so many people on both sides frothing at the mouth is something else.
2021 for the record books. When you have nothing to loose it’s an easy choice.

I like the stock.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmc View Post
The fact that this has so many people on both sides frothing at the mouth is something else.
2021 for the record books. When you have nothing to loose it’s an easy choice.

I like the stock.
2021 its only the begining....
Old 01-28-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
I think this is a classic pump and dump started by the fella on Reddit who captured the imagination of a bunch of millenials who by there own admission knew nothing about the stock market and got caught up on the "stick it to the establishment " message. They in fact manipulated the stock to an artificial high and once it started crashing back to earth want to complain about market manipulation when that was the whole point of what they were trying to accomplish in the first place.
Don't scream manipulation when the regulatory checks shut down the manipulation that you started. Buddy on Reddit I am confident dumped his position days ago leaving the Naive first time "investors" hanging.
Robinhood was touted as the program that was anti establishment giving all the masses the ability to manipulate the market and make the playing field level, again a naive perception
Exactly the same scheme is being hatched right now in an attempt to run up Silver, again classic pump and dump using social media and unsophisticated investors. So yes, people are being played but not by who you think they are. its a well crafted play taking advantage of people who have no idea how the market works.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
Is Blackberry really worth triple what it was less than a month ago- and almost double what it was just last week? Is Tesla really worth triple what Toyota is worth???

There's going to be a major evaporation of wealth when people figure it out.
Man, I know zero about the stock market, but holy hell this sounds crazy. If Tesla is valued greater than Toyota then major voodoo is at play. Yikes.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:17 PM

You might be right.
However the free market as it was sold is limiting access and the media is “selling” a different story. If it was a guy just trying make money on his original by crowd source manipulating it seems that people have completely lost faith in the market and don’t care to spend the last hundred they have.
I think we can all agree it’s broke and a tilted table
Old 01-28-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Man, I know zero about the stock market, but holy hell this sounds crazy. If Tesla is valued greater than Toyota then major voodoo is at play. Yikes.
Tesla was shorted and managed to survive. Maybe you would want revenge?
I’m no smart man at all but Soros shorted the British pound, pocketed around 1 billion bucks and he still roams the world wreaking havoc.
Who gives a crap if people throw down to spite Wall Street. The fact that they care shows how vulnerable our markets are.

I live in a culvert so maybe I’m just a tinfoil hat.