Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 09:20 PM

Default CRA: Medical expenses

Well I got old, had some heart trouble and spent the last 6 months roaming Alberta prior to surgery.
I guess I’m seeking for guidance as far what the CRA defines as a medical expense claim. We live more than 80k from any hospital, over nights and food receipts accounted for.
I’ve read what’s available online. Food, lodging, gas, mileage?
We have done our own taxes for a long time, this is a new one.

Thanks
Old 02-25-2021, 09:41 PM

Not sure what your expenses were, but I think you need over $5000 to make a difference.

It sounds like you may have racked up quite a few receipts. I'm not sure what qualifies
Old 02-25-2021, 09:56 PM

Parking fees if applicable
Old 02-25-2021, 10:04 PM

Wish I had information to share that might help.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:30 AM

A bit of a calculation at the link:
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...ax-return.html
Old 02-26-2021, 12:43 AM

Use the simplified method outlined on the CRA website. You will win every time. I can provide more details if necessary.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:50 AM

I use Alberta Tax to do my taxes and have done so since the 80's, I have medical claims every year for my trips to the CCI in Edmonton, I keep an excel spread sheet with the dates etc, you can claim round trip mileage at the government approved rate which in Alberta is .47 cents per KM.

If you overnight in a hotel you can claim that also but must provide a receipt ( our daughter lives in Edmonton so we never claim hotels ) you may also claim 3 meals per day to a max of $69 per day without receipts for every day for both yourself and your spouse or traveling companion, there is no compensation allowed for parking.

This was the way it was in 2020 when I filed my 2019 taxes, I have not filed yet this year so it may have changed slightly, the Kevin will know if it changed and claim accordingly.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I use Alberta Tax to do my taxes and have done so since the 80's, I have medical claims every year for my trips to the CCI in Edmonton, I keep an excel spread sheet with the dates etc, you can claim round trip mileage at the government approved rate which in Alberta is .47 cents per KM.

If you overnight in a hotel you can claim that also but must provide a receipt ( our daughter lives in Edmonton so we never claim hotels ) you may also claim 3 meals per day to a max of $69 per day without receipts for every day for both yourself and your spouse or traveling companion, there is no compensation allowed for parking.

This was the way it was in 2020 when I filed my 2019 taxes, I have not filed yet this year so it may have changed slightly, the Kevin will know if it changed and claim accordingly.
It is unchanged for this year.
If you paid any insurance premiums to a health care plan you can use those as well.

Last edited by FCLightning; 02-26-2021 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post

^ This. The current rate per km is $0.47. $23 per meal for up to $69.

See google for distance from your house to the hospital or doctor’s office. Multiply that by 0.59 and then by 2 (round trip). Depending on the length of the appointment and time of the day, add an appropriate number of meals at $23 per. Same for the person traveling with you, if any. You don’t need the receipts for any of this, hence it is a simplified method. You will never get ahead doing it the other way. The only paperwork you need is a proof that you have actually been there, which any physician can provide if necessary. Do that for every trip. Then add prescriptions, any payments you made to the doctors (or the balance paid by you if it was covered by an insurer), hotel stays that were related to the medical appointments, if any, etc. Add health premiums if any. Do the same for your spouse/partner and dependents, if any. Repeat for dental. Claim on yours or spouse’s tax return, whichever makes more sense.

The best way to do it is to run a spreadsheet, like the previous poster suggested. Keep the spreadsheet for your records in case the CRA decides to take a look.

The process is very simple.

Link to the government: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...-expenses.html
Old 02-26-2021, 09:52 PM

If anyone is interested in having a spreadsheet to input these items on I would send you one. Just send me a PM with your email address and whether you would be using it in Numbers or Excel so I could send the proper format. You just input your kms, #of meals, amount for parking and hotel stay if used - it will do all the calculations. Other expenses you simply enter directly in the total column. Attached is a screenshot of what it looks like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Medical.jpg (39.2 KB, 22 views)