Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 05:21 PM

Default local FUNERAL home dies

play on words ok

am surprised but one of them just closed down

no big funerals any more or services, just plain box or cremation

maybe walmart or liquor stores or pot stores can take up the slack and offer a funeral service on the side?
Old 02-25-2021, 05:25 PM

Buried in a Wall Mart casket, I like that.

Grizz
Old 02-25-2021, 05:49 PM

I have seen ads online and on facebook constantly, funeral homes and funeral insurance looking for people to invest in their death.

I understand that it is a job that nobody wants, but the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ some of them charge for a funeral is just absolutely disgusting.

All it means is the other one will be able to charge more now.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-25-2021, 06:02 PM

Having a Mennonite father converted to Catholic when he married my mother, I've been to a few Mennonite funerals. They build a pine or plywood coffin, dig the grave, the women friends of the family prepare and dress the body. Open coffin service with everyone contributing to the food etc. for afterwards. Not many people that can handle taking care of what are basic tasks in their world. Costs very little if you roll up your sleeves. Most in today's world don't have the ability or stomach for a very basic and inevitable happening.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:20 PM

From what is have seen/heard the biggest two problems is that the average person does'nt deal with death andfunerals very often so we put trust in the "experts" to help us along (kind of like we do with lawyers and politicians) . Second problem is that "some" funeral homes try to sell up or guilt the clients with " wouldnt (loved one) be more comfortable in this better coffin " even though (loved one) had already pre chosen the coffin he/she wanted when they were very much alive .
Old 02-25-2021, 07:25 PM

My sister was very frugal and didn’t want a bunch of money wasted on a fancy funeral. She was cremated as per her wishes and the cost was $1200.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have seen ads online and on facebook constantly, funeral homes and funeral insurance looking for people to invest in their death.

I understand that it is a job that nobody wants, but the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ some of them charge for a funeral is just absolutely disgusting.

All it means is the other one will be able to charge more now.
It’s a price that love ones will fork over the money for ... 20k-40k. Casket , Plot, tombstone and such adds up real quick .... have heard stories of furneral home Will hold the ashes and Urn until the balance is paid in full , and if you want to enter the crematorium to push the furnace button for your love one it’s another $1k ..
Old 02-25-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schleprock View Post
My sister was very frugal and didn’t want a bunch of money wasted on a fancy funeral. She was cremated as per her wishes and the cost was $1200.
That's wisdom and what my very plan is.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:44 PM

I can remember when people used to say that a funeral home was a safe business to be in, because you never run out of customers, but apparently things have changed.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:19 PM

Ive engraved a few headstones, and WOW i was contacted pretty quick by a funeral place aith thier displeasure. Thier mark ups on people in a vulnerable emotinal state is absolutely insane. I charged $400 to etch a decent granite stone, westlawn funeral..... $8500. i did two before they just put in writing if you want a spot there you have no choice but for them to supply the headstone and etching.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:36 PM

I donated my body to science, I think they even put a plaque on the wall somewhere. Then( if I go first) my wife will do a BBQ at the farm, should only cost a few bucks. Cheapest was to get rid of a stinky old body.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Then( if I go first) my wife will do a BBQ at the farm, should only cost a few bucks. Cheapest was to get rid of a stinky old body.
Old 02-25-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
Ive engraved a few headstones, and WOW i was contacted pretty quick by a funeral place aith thier displeasure. Thier mark ups on people in a vulnerable emotinal state is absolutely insane. I charged $400 to etch a decent granite stone, westlawn funeral..... $8500. i did two before they just put in writing if you want a spot there you have no choice but for them to supply the headstone and etching.
I nearly puked when I read that.

I guess I should not be surprised, they were offering 'family keepsake necklaces' to the mil when the fil died, they put a couple grams of grampa's ashes in a little necklace for $700.00.

I was going to ask him how he slept at night, but the answer would be like a baby, in a california king in a 12,000 ft mcmansion with servants. 'why do you ask?'

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-25-2021, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Having a Mennonite father converted to Catholic when he married my mother, I've been to a few Mennonite funerals. They build a pine or plywood coffin, dig the grave, the women friends of the family prepare and dress the body. Open coffin service with everyone contributing to the food etc. for afterwards. Not many people that can handle taking care of what are basic tasks in their world. Costs very little if you roll up your sleeves. Most in today's world don't have the ability or stomach for a very basic and inevitable happening.
Yes, been to a couple of those Mennonite funerals as well, both here and in Bolivia. I was called on to help carry the pine box and shovel afterwards. It puts you so much more in touch with the reality of it, and I believe people actually are helped by it, as it is part of the grieving process. I much prefer it to the way death has been commercialized for profit now. It's the death industry.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-25-2021, 10:10 PM

Default Self Induced

If they are suffering, they did it to themselves.

I have been to a few where a family of very modest means got talked into a very expensive casket (to honour the dead), some of them had to finance the ordeal. They pick on a person in a very vulnerable time and once it's signed off the money flows.

They have certain guilt phrases that are meant to hit a nerve...I recall the first funeral guy talking to us about honouring my dads legacy (as if he ever knew him) and needing an urn for like $1000 to hold the cremains. I still recall the minimum he could sell for the cremation was something called the "Dignity Cardboard" series (I'm not making that name up)

Folks, when not clouded with grief, will look around and these overpriced guilt sessions will wane. Guess this means a funeral home will have to figure out how to be profitable on a $2000 funeral instead of a $10,000 one. Parasites
Old 02-26-2021, 08:40 AM

A fella should be able to send whomever to the crematorium and hand over the coffee can he asked to be placed in.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
If they are suffering, they did it to themselves.

I have been to a few where a family of very modest means got talked into a very expensive casket (to honour the dead), some of them had to finance the ordeal. They pick on a person in a very vulnerable time and once it's signed off the money flows.

They have certain guilt phrases that are meant to hit a nerve...I recall the first funeral guy talking to us about honouring my dads legacy (as if he ever knew him) and needing an urn for like $1000 to hold the cremains. I still recall the minimum he could sell for the cremation was something called the "Dignity Cardboard" series (I'm not making that name up)

Folks, when not clouded with grief, will look around and these overpriced guilt sessions will wane. Guess this means a funeral home will have to figure out how to be profitable on a $2000 funeral instead of a $10,000 one. Parasites
I remember the suggestion of having a pillow made of your loved ones shirt, so you could still snuggle up to them.

Grizz
Old 02-26-2021, 12:00 PM

Costco is in the casket business surprisingly enough.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:49 PM

This pic is from 1910 taken in Alberta. This would be my idea of a nice view for the afterlife.

Worst part is some idiot would probably use my platform for a deer stand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blackfoot tree burial 1910.jpg (69.8 KB, 117 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-26-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Costco is in the casket business surprisingly enough.
Well they certainly have enough cardboard boxes to choose from.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Well they certainly have enough cardboard boxes to choose from.
Classic!
Old 02-26-2021, 02:24 PM

I just went through this with process helping my mom with grandma's funeral. An eye opener.

My grandma had her plot beside her hubby done 60 yrs back. Saved there on plot costs but still quite expensive to finish the deal. And only 20 of us can go.

While there my mom picked hers and dads final resting spot. Dad will go in the ground when his time comes, mom cremated and on top when her time comes. Just under 40G.

No way I am giving up that kind of money from my estate to a funeral home to put me in the ground. I would rather the kids get it. My kids know to burn me at cremations are us(cheapest place they can find). I have 3 spots they can accidently dumps my ashes at. If they want me close, they can share the last 1/4 of me and put that in a vessel so that they can keep me in their houses. A nice pickle jar would be fine with me.

I got a kick out of the lady trying to convince me I should buy my plot now, so my kids will have a "spot" to come and say hi to dad. Umm, ya, not.
Old 02-26-2021, 02:31 PM

Just under 40G

I read that and my eye brows go up, but then I think of what people spend on weddings these days, only to get divorced a couple of years later. We have way to much money.

Grizz
Old 02-26-2021, 02:49 PM

I mentioned this on another thread - at one of the most memorable funerals I attended, the casket was rough plywood with hardware that looked like it was straight from Home Depot. At the end of the funeral, the kids were given markers to write messages on the casket, to say goodbye to their uncle.

Pretty sure it was homemade. That's my kind of casket.

Other friends of mine - and these were some who were very careful with their money - had the cardboard caskets, wrapped in a material similar to Mac-Tac to make it look presentable.

I don't care where I'm buried - the more remote and desolate the better. Just borrowing the space temporarily, anyhow.

Funny thing about my dad - he wanted a simple casket, then, just at the last minute, he says, "You know, may as well get a nicer one... There's going to be some important people there." Still makes me laugh.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:03 PM

I'm thinking I will build my own casket. Make a weekend project out of it. 3/4" plywood, good one side, and a nice light stain. Maybe bubble wrap interior so I will be comfortable.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-26-2021, 03:18 PM

People prepaying years in advance is just insane. I imagine the funeral homes laughing all the way to the bank then when it is finally time crying because they have jacked their prices up 40x.

It's gross. $40g for a hole in the ground and some natural gas.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:57 PM

I work for a small community in the last year we only did 2 full graves and about 10 cremains.
Old 02-26-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I'm thinking I will build my own casket. Make a weekend project out of it. 3/4" plywood, good one side, and a nice light stain. Maybe bubble wrap interior so I will be comfortable.
G1S? Fancy!

Don't forget to add a little bell in case they catch you napping and take you for dead...
Old 02-26-2021, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
G1S? Fancy!

Don't forget to add a little bell in case they catch you napping and take you for dead...
Adding options really drives the price of a coffin up. No bell. If I was napping, and they bury me, soon enough I will be dead anyway. Who is gonna know the difference?

Old 02-26-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Like when Oscar from Corner Gas built his own coffin. Freaked himself out with he tried it for size. Ended up as a bookcase that fell apart when Emma put something on the shelf.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets