Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 07:08 PM

Default Need Plumbers Feedback

So we are remodeling our house and I am need of a new toilet. I like Kohlers flush system and am leaning towards them but having read reviews on alot of toilets (Kohler, Amer. Stnd, etc...) most toilet brands out there dont seem to get any good reviews. I dont want to break the bank either, would like to stay under $500. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly helpful right now. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:49 PM

I think Kohler is as good a toilet as you can get.
And when a big box store has them on sale, they usually can't be had cheaper.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:20 PM

I've been talking to some of my older peers and myself as well. The universal recommendation is for one of the taller units.

Grizz
Old 02-23-2021, 09:21 PM

Pm Cabertosser. He is the official AO plumbing god if he doesn't chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella View Post
So we are remodeling our house and I am need of a new toilet. I like Kohlers flush system and am leaning towards them but having read reviews on alot of toilets (Kohler, Amer. Stnd, etc...) most toilet brands out there dont seem to get any good reviews. I dont want to break the bank either, would like to stay under $500. Any suggestions or feedback would be greatly helpful right now. Thank you.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:22 PM

Make sure you get a longer toilet than your old style round toilet. We have an older toilet downstairs, and I only use it (#2) when I absolutely have to. Having to tuck, and lean forward so you don't make contact with the rim doesn't make for a relaxing experience.

I'm not even sure if they still sell the round toilets.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:16 AM

The oblong bowl, comfort height is the way to go. I would just buy whatever Costco has in stock. i have had issues with Kohler, the flush mechanism n non slam seat seem to be poorly made, but that likely not unique to Kohler.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:39 PM

Default toilets

Comfort height, Elongated is the way i would go. You want a great flushing toilet go with the toto drake. it also comes in regular height. All 100-200 dollar toilets are basically the same. Remember that all toilets are low flush now (6-litres)so if your not willing to give it a courtesy flush have an auger or plunger on hand!! (gone are the 20 litre flush toilets)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:47 AM

Just replaced a few toilets for my parents (mid-80s) putting in chair height ones for them. I was going to pick up the elongated ones but my sister had done a bunch of research which pointed out the accessibility benefits of round bowls over elongated ones for the elderly. I didn't question her, just went with the round ones.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:12 PM

I’m partial to Gerber Avalanches, American standard cadets and Toto drakes. Simple toilets with 3” flappers and universal fill valves.

Kohler makes a good looking toilet, but good luck getting parts to fix it. I had to wait 3 weeks for parts once to fix a kohler toilet.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I’m partial to Gerber Avalanches, American standard cadets and Toto drakes. Simple toilets with 3” flappers and universal fill valves.

Kohler makes a good looking toilet, but good luck getting parts to fix it. I had to wait 3 weeks for parts once to fix a kohler toilet.
I just had a plumber put in 2 Gerber toilets - the ones removed were dual flush high end Kohlers that sometimes needed some plunging. Seemed to be very susceptible to clogging. Not sure what size throat.

These simpler, single flush, large 3" throats seem to be far less prone to not evacuating and clearing big poops. Very happy and saved some money as they were half the price compared to replacing what I had.