Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-07-2021, 06:25 PM

Default Euro Rod Length

Looking for input from the euro-nymphers on this board.

I'm looking to get my first euro setup and would love to hear why you prefer a 10' or 11' rod. I fish mostly mountain streams like the Livingstone, Oldman, Ram Rivers, and in Jasper.

It seems generally that the shorter rod will be more nimble in the smaller streams, while the longer rod would be of more assistance in the bigger waters. That being said, I'd love to hear from you guys with real world experience on what you prefer.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:08 PM

I use a 10ft 3wt for all the rivers you have mentioned. i haven't had an issue yet and have caught and brought to hand some fairly good sized fish. The only time I wish I had a longer rod was for some areas on the bow. I think for the majority of the Eastern slope streams a 10ft 3 wt rod is all you need.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:19 AM

I use a 10’6” 3wt. It’s perfect on rivers the size of the Ram, and where euro can work on the bow I haven’t fished down south. The 10’ would be better for smaller streams, but just using euro techniques with a normal small stream rod would probably be better for really small stuff.

It’s probably more preference than anything but I think the extra 6” just felt better to me. I think it meant an extra 3-4 feet of reach on my actual drift. Bigger increases in reach will come from working on your cast and your ability to use thinner and thinner leaders. I’m also more confident in it to protect my tippet. Who knows if any of that is actually real, but it works for me.
Old 02-09-2021, 12:09 PM

10'6" 3wt is a great versatile rod.

I use a 10' 4wt which does double duty as a dry fly rod. it has a bit more backbone for when the bull trout eat my nymphs but it's not as sensitive.

I have euro nymphed on a regular 9' 5wt before as well, it's not terrible with a bit of practice

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 02-09-2021, 02:26 PM

I appreciate the feedback. I ended up splitting the difference and ordered a TFO Stealth in 10'6" 3wt. Any of you have any experience with the TFO Stealth line? I couldn't find much for reviews, but I think TFO generally delivers a great product for there price point so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Looking forward to diving into the world of EuroNymping.
Old 02-09-2021, 03:14 PM

Good choice, pretty sure that rod from TFO is new for this year. You can’t go wrong with their products and customer service. Great value and the best part is, if you break it, you wont have to send it to the states.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:34 PM

Been FF'ing for 40 years....had to do a google to find out what the heck "Euro Nymphing" is...
Must have been doing something wrong all these years....

BTW careful when you do that search...lol
Old 02-10-2021, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Been FF'ing for 40 years....had to do a google to find out what the heck "Euro Nymphing" is...
Must have been doing something wrong all these years....

BTW careful when you do that search...lol
Gotta love marketing eh? People are eating it up too, like no one has ever drug a nymph along the bottom of a creek before.

Some call it euro nymphing, polish nymphing, czech nymphing.....who cares where it was invented. Check this video out, it's just fishing to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdXIHsGgIQM
Old 02-10-2021, 05:12 PM

Just classic tight line nymphing with a longer rod. We did this back in the '60s,

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-11-2021, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Gotta love marketing eh? People are eating it up too, like no one has ever drug a nymph along the bottom of a creek before.

Some call it euro nymphing, polish nymphing, czech nymphing.....who cares where it was invented. Check this video out, it's just fishing to this guy:

Interesting video, I can't imagine tying flies like that.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:

What a great video!!!
Lots of lessons, not only of fishing but of life.
thx for posting this.
Old 02-12-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
What a great video!!!
Lots of lessons, not only of fishing but of life.
thx for posting this.
Its a good video to watch every now and then. Sometimes we overcomplicate things as fisherman, its good to step back and simplify our methods.

Fighting a fish on that homemade rod looks divine
Old 02-12-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:

Drugging a nymph is probably illegal. Now if you were to drag a nymph...probably OK