Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2021, 07:48 PM

Default Leaders- Born or Created ?

The recent non-emergence of Geoff Ward as the Boss vs Assistant made me think of working people I've known. Not many seemed to transition well once the complete mantle of responsibility was on their shoulders.

Talking workplace here vs professional athletes/coaches.
Old 02-22-2021, 07:51 PM

Some people are natural leaders, others aren't. Some can become better leaders, some can't.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:07 PM

You need the mindset, some people are just happy to be led, some like taking a little leadership, but it takes a Trump , to run for president.

Grizz
Old 02-22-2021, 08:13 PM

just look at our "leader". he was hatched and raised by a pair of nitwits. don't know why you started this thread OP.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsik View Post
just look at our "leader". he was hatched and raised by a pair of nitwits. don't know why you started this thread OP.
He isn't actually a leader, he is a figurehead.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:02 PM

To me good leadership just doesn’t happen it is a recipe. Leadership is a skill set, but it is up to you on how well you wish to use those skills. In my time I have come to figure out that the most qualified person is not necessarily the right person for leadership. To me the key is communication, it about relating your valves or that of company with the people you are leading so that you are all on the same page.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:03 PM

Born leaders. Some have it, some don't. I've gone through it for almost 20 years now. We have an ex-janitor putting a lot of past supervisors to shame. Accountability, Organization and delegation. Goes a long way with that approach. He went from mopping floors to a production supervisor. Pretty proud of his progression.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:27 AM

It's neither one or the other. Some are born with personality traits and abilities that give them an natural advantage in leading, but those skills need to be developed properly through training and experience. Someone can also learn to be an effective leader.

It's also important to define an effective leader. Just because you like someone's policies doesn't mean they are a good leader. Trump got elected because of his policies and his personality, not because of his leadership ability. If he was a leader, he wouldn't have spent the last 4 years bickering with everyone including his own team and probably would have been re-elected. I would also make a similar argument that Obama and Trudeau are also a poor leaders.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:25 AM

The way we were judged at work, was more on the performance of our team, than on any individual accomplishments. If your team was healthy, and nobody was hurt, that was a huge part. If your team operated at high efficiency, and achieved high schedule attainment, that was a large part. If you had no call backs, that was very important. They looked at any innovations or changes made by your team to reduce costs or improve reliability, or to reduce down time. Then they looked at absenteeism, and individual issues in the team, and how you dealt with them. If you were involved with hiring, they looked at the records of the people that you hired. Then lastly, they looked at any personal accomplishments, or personal issues that you had. Those were the things that determined whether you received raises, or bonuses, and how big they were.
If you judged political leaders using similar criteria, you would look at the health and living conditions of the citizens, you would look at unemployment and whether you were operating at a deficit or a surplus, then you would look social issues in your own country. The issues in other countries would only come after your own country was looked after.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:18 PM

I think both come into play. The ration of born:fostered/learned depends on the individual.

I also think that certain traits need to be fostered early on in life (under 6 years old) to make being a leader easier.

In my very humble opinion, a lot of the mess the world is in currently is because there are lots of individuals that have no leadership ability in positions of leadership. What makes it worse is these folk think they got there by merit.
Old 02-23-2021, 05:06 PM

Money, power and the media create a Leader.

Any reference that promotes the choosen Leader is an illusion maintained by the money,power and media that originally placed them there.
Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 AM

The great leader of a powerful country died and he went to the pearly gates. There were two lines to chose from to stand in and wait his turn. One line for men who dominated and one line for men who were dominated. When his turn came up St. Peter asked the great leader why he chose the line up that was for men who were dominated. The great leader replied, " My wife told me to stand here."
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Tags
born