Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 10:50 PM

Default Factory loads over chronograph

Just wondering how many of you have ran factory loads of a chronograph that ran faster than advertised? I ran some Hornady GMX 180 grain over mine that were advertised at 2960fps but they averaged 3010fps. I’ve ran them where they came close to what was advertised but I’ve never had a load exceed advertised specs this much. Wondering if this odd or if other people have had the same experience. Ammo was the outfitter line and gun was tikka t3x.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:03 AM

Usually the velocities are lower than advertised, but I have seen a few instances of up to 50fps or so above advertised velocity.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:23 AM

Lot to lot differences in ammo, chronograph to chronograph accuracy, they all play into factory published velocities just being a ball park value.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-26-2021, 08:34 AM

If you are using a longer barrel, tighter chamber etc you may well get higher velocity. You are correct that they are more often lower than published, but I have occasionally seen it go the other way. However, I shoot very little factory ammo so my data set and range is pretty limited.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:19 AM

Thanks guys, just seemed a little out of the ordinary and as of now all I shoot is factory. Wanting to get into reloading myself but not sure where to even begin. Is it best to start off with a kit or is it better to buy the individual pieces your will use? Not to derail this just curious.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:47 AM

If you search reloading in the gun forum you will find some great recent threads on getting into reloading and what to think about. This is just one recent thread.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ight=reloading
Old 02-26-2021, 11:16 AM

There are actually some really good deals on reloading equipment in the AO buy and sell. Guy could put together a nice basic setup for pretty reasonable dollars.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:56 AM

Thanks Dean2 ill have a look.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by house21 View Post
Thanks guys, just seemed a little out of the ordinary and as of now all I shoot is factory. Wanting to get into reloading myself but not sure where to even begin. Is it best to start off with a kit or is it better to buy the individual pieces your will use? Not to derail this just curious.

I got a Lyman kit in the fall to get me started. So far so good. It’s worth it to spend hours researching everything and get a feel for it. YouTube is super helpful too if you find the right sources. I found Gavin toobe ultimate reloaded helpful as well as the bolt action reloading channel helpful to navigate things. Dick284 helped me get into the right direction too; I told him my goals and he helped me narrow them down. Actually lots of folks here have helped, it’s awesome.

My one piece of advice is that when you do secure some components, stick to one set of components and build out from there. I didn’t realize the volatility that can exist between batches (rl22) and how that can hamper load development. I was originally going to try a few different things and upon further review it’s going to help me go nowhere fast lol. Keep it simple when starting out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2021, 09:47 AM

Default Temperature

Temperature has not been mentioned but it plays a larger role than people seem to account for. You can easily get a 50 fps shift in large temperature swings. Hot faster - cold slower. I have no idea what temperature baseline an ammo manufacturer would use to produce their test velocity results.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:21 PM

KazIce which Lyman kit did you end up getting? I’ve been looking at the all American reloading kit but most guys I’ve actually talked to about it recommended the hornady lock’n’load kit or to RCBS rock chucker. Still lots of reading to do about it but I have a feeling it’ll be an obsession and it’ll feel kind of like catching your first fish with a fly you tied yourself when you shoot your first animal with your own reloads.
Old 02-27-2021, 03:32 PM

Lyman actually makes very good reloading gear but doesn't get much air time for some reason. After trying most other makes I have a Lyman trimmer, balance beam scale and I use 8 Lyman 55 powder throwers. I tested the 55 against all the high price competition and they are more consistent and more accurate than even the Harrels that cost 2 times as much. I also use Lyman primer pocket uniformed, and neck turners. I have never tried one of their presses, I am still using the Texan turret I got back in 1970. I have tried rockchucker and Dillons and use a small Lee's for precision seating 17 and 22 caliber loads. Nothing says all your stuff has to be made by the same company. I concentrated on finding the best made tool for each job and have rcbs, redding, hornady, lyman, Wilson and a bunch of others in the mix.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:02 PM

Yeah I’m not a brand specific guy myself as long as it does the job it a suppose to and does it well. Really appreciate all the info guys, hope you all have a great weekend.