Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-06-2008, 10:13 PM
gitrdun

Default Mentoring a new hunter

My wife's music teacher has announced that her 19 year old son wants to get into hunting. My name came up and the lady even offered to pay for mentoring services for her son. I declined the pay and offered my services just for the pleasure of bringing up a young lad into the game as well as I can. Now, this young man knows nothing. So here's my approach, please let me know if I'm on the right track and feel free to correct me at anytime.

1. I will get him to get his paper work in order, WIN card and PAL.
2. Then, first and foremost....gunsafety.
3. What does he want to hunt?.....caliber choice.
4. Take him to my range (yes I have a shooting range). Shoot at 100, then 200 and so on. Get comfortable with a suitable caliber choice.
5. Take him out hunting with me. Teach him good ethics. Tracking, etc.
6. Now, that he's taken his game. Dressing out, etc.
7. Meat preparation.
8. Cooking.

That's just a rough outline fellows. I'm so much looking forward to teaching a newbie the "right" way, I'm opened to suggestions you seasoned hunters may have, I want to do it right. Any suggestions are welcomed.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:24 PM

I would add Hunter Training course, get his Wildlife Cert
Old 12-06-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
My wife's music teacher has announced that her 19 year old son wants to get into hunting. My name came up and the lady even offered to pay for mentoring services for her son. I declined the pay and offered my services just for the pleasure of bringing up a young lad into the game as well as I can. Now, this young man knows nothing. So here's my approach, please let me know if I'm on the right track and feel free to correct me at anytime.

1. I will get him to get his paper work in order, WIN card and PAL.
2. Then, first and foremost....gunsafety.
3. What does he want to hunt?.....caliber choice.
4. Take him to my range (yes I have a shooting range). Shoot at 100, then 200 and so on. Get comfortable with a suitable caliber choice.
5. Take him out hunting with me. Teach him good ethics. Tracking, etc.
6. Now, that he's taken his game. Dressing out, etc.
7. Meat preparation.
8. Cooking.

That's just a rough outline fellows. I'm so much looking forward to teaching a newbie the "right" way, I'm opened to suggestions you seasoned hunters may have, I want to do it right. Any suggestions are welcomed.
dont forget Hunter Training other than that sounds like you have it going on. goodluck and congrats. I have taken and done this with 7 or 8 people and they are hunters now and have a successful season every year weather they get one or not
Old 12-06-2008, 10:29 PM

9. First aid...how to tie a tourniquet.
10. Orientation/map reading/GPS use.
11. Lifestyle and habits of selected prey....and predators.
12. Physical conditioning.
13. Survival.
14. Reg.'s.
15. Draw strategy.
16. Animal identification.
17. Tree/vegetation identification.
18. Topography.
19. Weather analysis.
20. An appreciation for what can go wrong.

While firearm proficiency is vital, you'll have many more enjoyable experiences if you also focus on the individual and the environment. The arrow is important, but without a good Indian behind it.......

Last edited by pogo; 12-06-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 08:55 AM

First thing I think I would do is give him some personel basic safety lessions. Then maybe take him out target hunting with a .22. see how he does. Then continue on with your list.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 AM

Trappers course. He may never do it, but it teaches a lot.

I took the BC one back in (about) 90-91. Have never regretted it.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
First thing I think I would do is give him some personel basic safety lessions. Then maybe take him out target hunting with a .22. see how he does. Then continue on with your list.
+1 Big Red.

That's how me and my four Brothers were taught.Dad let us use a single shot .22 and we learned to make every shot count.If we forgot a safety rule we were reprimanded and the privlidges were revoked until we could prove we fully understood the reasons why they were there.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:15 PM

The first few times you take him out, neither of you should have firearms. Orientation, tracking, local terrain and where the animals could/should be.

Introduce to bird hunting with wing shooting and a dog if you can. Practice with the trap machine.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:40 PM

Sounds like he is a fortunate 19 y/o to get you for a mentor. But for you, what a tremendous responsibility & honor & privilege. Been there too, brings a big smile to my face. My advice would be have fun, treasure every minute. Good Luck, good hunting, enjoy and be safe!!!