Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 12:11 PM

Default WMU 350 Whiteails

Hey All

Anyone have any luck in 350?

I spent the weekend hunting there just SE of Slave Lake and there wasn't a deer to be found in the area. Put many km's on the boots and a few on the truck, saw some tracks but that's it. I'm sure the warm weather and the clear nights didn't do me any favors.

The amount of bears in this zone is unreal, counted at least a dozen on Friday. Does the bear population have any effect on the deer population up there?

Old 09-21-2020, 01:30 PM

Hello,

Let me be the first to tell you, that bears eat deers! Bears will in deed have an effect on the deer populations. Not only in 350, but all wmu’s that have bears.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makes no scents! View Post
Hello,

Let me be the first to tell you, that bears eat deers! Bears will in deed have an effect on the deer populations. Not only in 350, but all wmu’s that have bears.
HAHAHAHA I know Bears eat Deer. I worded it wrong...my bad. What I should have said was..."is the lack of deer in the area due to the large bear numbers?"

Tried deleting the post so I don't look like an idiot, but too late.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrayedknot View Post
HAHAHAHA I know Bears eat Deer. I worded it wrong...my bad. What I should have said was..."is the lack of deer in the area due to the large bear numbers?"

Just teasing! Haha
Old 09-21-2020, 06:30 PM

Default Wmu 350

10 years ago we used to hunt whitetails in 350. There were some giants roaming around the woods. There were also very good numbers of deer too. About 6 or 7 years ago they had to try to get through a couple of very sever winters. Most didn’t make it. The wolves also have had an impact on what’s left. The last few years have been totally different, and not for the better. Areas we hunted used to be covered with tracks, but now they are few and far between. Best buy some bear tags and clean up a few of them.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 09-21-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: I xtra info
Old 09-21-2020, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrayedknot View Post

Theres always been lots of bears in the area, they're a minor issue as they're omnivores and eat mostly plants. The issue is the wolves. Tons in the areas I hunt there. Also the supplemental tags need to be cut in 350. The supplementals have helped severely cut the deer numbers down. 10 years ago driving down the highway you'd easily see 20-30 deer in the ditches. Now you're lucky to see 1.
“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.” John Stuart Mill
Old 09-22-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Theres always been lots of bears in the area, they're a minor issue as they're omnivores and eat mostly plants. The issue is the wolves. Tons in the areas I hunt there. Also the supplemental tags need to be cut in 350. The supplementals have helped severely cut the deer numbers down. 10 years ago driving down the highway you'd easily see 20-30 deer in the ditches. Now you're lucky to see 1.
Crazy..I didn't see any signs of wolves where we were. I wish I would have seen a couple though lol.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
10 years ago we used to hunt whitetails in 350. There were some giants roaming around the woods. There were also very good numbers of deer too. About 6 or 7 years ago they had to try to get through a couple of very sever winters. Most didn’t make it. The wolves also have had an impact on what’s left. The last few years have been totally different, and not for the better. Areas we hunted used to be covered with tracks, but now they are few and far between. Best buy some bear tags and clean up a few of them.

What he said. Also, there is quite a lot less logging going on so that has lowered the Whitetail population too. For many years there were some real cranker bush bucks shot in that area. Have not seen or heard of a real big one in at least 6 years and overall numbers are way down. In fact, the whole north half of the province seems to have suffered from bad winters, wet springs and too many predators. I find deer numbers are down over a large part of that range.