Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-20-2020, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Hardest part of elk hunting is finding the elk, once you know where the elk are you can kill them. You might have to think outside the box to get it done consistently however.

LC
100% correct.I find elk fairly straightforward to hunt, especially in the rut. After that its harder(at least from my experience)

Finding them can be tough though,they seem to have areas they move back and forth from.It may take a week or more in the areas I hunt before they show up, if at all.

I hunt mostly the 400 zones,I have found that if the wolves are around the Bulls can be silent and will come in without bugling.

Persistence and a positive attitude are needed for elk. Oh and a little luck!!
Old 06-20-2020, 05:28 PM
Banned

Finding elk is hard part even easier if you choose the private land part elk are not hard to locate or hunt.
Old 06-20-2020, 07:59 PM

I think “obsessed” along with being the OP of this pretty great thread, is exactly what it takes to kill elk

For years I hunted elk for a couple weeks here and there, got close (mostly because I covered a lot of ground) but never got it done. Last year I went all in all season long and killed my first bull. If someone hunted elk exclusively, every opportunity/day off from opening day archery to last day rifle they’d probably have an elk in the freezer more years than not. It’s simply a much harder animal to hunt, you can’t take a deer level of effort into an elk hunt and expect success.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 AM

Some very good elk hunting knowledge has been posted, new hunters read it carefully. Just my last point it takes one hell of lot more hunting skill to shot a bull elk out of a foothills WMU with total harvest of 5 elk compared to Grande Prairie or Peace River Zones that produce 2000-3000 elk/year.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Some very good elk hunting knowledge has been posted, new hunters read it carefully. Just my last point it takes one hell of lot more hunting skill to shot a bull elk out of a foothills WMU with total harvest of 5 elk compared to Grande Prairie or Peace River Zones that produce 2000-3000 elk/year.
You sir are right.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info, great discussion
Old 07-11-2020, 12:03 AM

This is awesome info. I hunted for elk, but never successfully.
How important is calling in the early season? Are the bulls with the herds from the beginning?
Old 07-11-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltorro View Post
This is awesome info. I hunted for elk, but never successfully.
How important is calling in the early season? Are the bulls with the herds from the beginning?
In my experience if you don't call in early season any sightings will be by chance. My hunting area is thick timber so glassing is not an option. If you want to make something happening locate through calling. In areas where glassing is doable you should be able to spend time behind some glass to locate them then attempt to close in. Sitting a blind over wallows or water can also be effective and produce results however it's a waiting game at that point.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:04 AM

Right now based on what I’ve seen on my 2 game cams and me doing early morning hiking-spotting

They are all over the place and really quite spread out. I’ve found singles and small groups doing their 6AM morning grocery grab in draws I usually never see them in.

Many seem to be cruising along... real high up.

Bulls Are velvetted up nice nice. It’s easy eating as everything is so dang lush.

If this water stays around till Sept.... setting or concentrating on water sources may not be a great idea. Lots and lots of water everywhere.

Plenty of small bears around..... I’ve spotted very few ‘shooters’

3 griz seen so far, which is odd..... but maybe they’re down in the valley with all that yummy camper garbage that’s abounding everywhere.

From mid Aug to 1st week of sept..... you have a great chance at finding wandering bulls...
The herds are just starting to form up and the hierarchy dynamics haven’t really set up solid yet.
Last week of sept... first week of oct, you’ll have wanderers again either looking for second estrus cows to breed or satilite bulls that have given up competing with the herd Bull and want to find easier pickings.

Courting mews work great at these times.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-11-2020, 01:28 PM

Some great information for the new elk hunter. My only piece of advice for early season success is to keep that bugle in your pack as much as you can. Get into your area and listen! Sit down and listen. If theres a bull/elk in the area, you will hear them. Then get as close as possible with wind/thermals perfect then soft cow/calf mew. You blow on that bugle and you put every bull in the area on guard! You will end up chasing the elk from behind all day. Most bulls when they hear that bugle start herding their cows in the opposite direction. Im not saying don’t use it but it’s a last resort when it’s been daylight for an hour or two and I haven’t heard anything. I way more prefer to bugle at night to locate.
My 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobblerguy View Post
Some great information for the new elk hunter. My only piece of advice for early season success is to keep that bugle in your pack as much as you can. Get into your area and listen! Sit down and listen. If theres a bull/elk in the area, you will hear them. Then get as close as possible with wind/thermals perfect then soft cow/calf mew. You blow on that bugle and you put every bull in the area on guard! You will end up chasing the elk from behind all day. Most bulls when they hear that bugle start herding their cows in the opposite direction. Im not saying don’t use it but it’s a last resort when it’s been daylight for an hour or two and I haven’t heard anything. I way more prefer to bugle at night to locate.
My 2 cents.

I would agree to a point. Most guys start out with a lip bawl and think every Elk.in the woods will come looking for a fight. Learning how to be subtle with the bugle tube and playing off the elks emotion will lead to success.
Old 07-21-2020, 07:25 AM

Ok so we all have a desire to shoot bulls in bow season but what about those meat hunters who would be happy arrowing a cow just to fill up freezer space? All my cows I have taken are during rifle season ( draws) any one out there whacking cows with a bow consistently? What are you doing to be successful? Tips? Tactics?
Old 07-21-2020, 07:29 AM

I would be using more calf cow calls, calf in distress call.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Cows are easy they are so curious. Cold calling works good . Or sit on water or gas leases where the clover is thick
Old 09-15-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Learning how to be subtle with the bugle tube and playing off the elks emotion will lead to success.
This is key. Locate the bull and see what he does.

And to this point, those interested can watch this YouTube video by Paul Medel:

https://youtu.be/gvwn8MgI6Ms

In the video he says that it can take 10-15 minutes. In my reality, it takes up to 40 minutes for a bull to let you know about his presence, if you play your cards right.

I went out today about 1-1.5 hours past sunset to a couple of points up the valley to listen and they are bugling; while there was some action, they weren’t as vocal just a few days ago. Exciting times. A couple more days until rifle season. Last year I shot my bull on the evening of the 20th of September and my cousin shot his in the morning of the 21st. We located the bull he shot on Thursday evening, deep in the bush, and he shot him right in the exact same spot on Saturday morning at first light. I called mine up to a field from the valley and it took about 1.5 hours for him to come up, mostly silent. He was up on the field when he bugled the first time. I was about to leave, actually.

Will see how it pans out this year. Good luck to all!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:18 AM

Standing behind a bale on the field in the evening today (had an hour to get out), I was thinking I only hunt elk in the morning or in the evening. Because of where I live, I have a luxury of hitting the bush in the morning, head back home before noon (or even earlier), and then go back for an evening hunt if I want to and time allows.

I have a couple of weekdays when I can be in the bush by 2PM or so this week, so I was wondering how do you approach your hunt in those hours? I searched a little on the net but couldn’t find much. It appears while some say that most elk was killed between 10am and 2pm, most seem to be of an opinion that a guy should head back to camp after the morning hunt (which, I guess, is what I do heading back home).

What do you guys do in the middle of the day when looking to put down a bull? It’s a river valley, I know where they bed (unless they moved out from the area for a day or two). There isn’t one specific place though since it’s a large area without much pressure. What about calling? What calls do you use in those hours?

I was thinking to create another thread, but thought this one would be appropriate and others may find the info useful if anyone replies and it has everything to do with tactics.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Standing behind a bale on the field in the evening today (had an hour to get out), I was thinking I only hunt elk in the morning or in the evening. Because of where I live, I have a luxury of hitting the bush in the morning, head back home before noon (or even earlier), and then go back for an evening hunt if I want to and time allows.

I have a couple of weekdays when I can be in the bush by 2PM or so this week, so I was wondering how do you approach your hunt in those hours? I searched a little on the net but couldn’t find much. It appears while some say that most elk was killed between 10am and 2pm, most seem to be of an opinion that a guy should head back to camp after the morning hunt (which, I guess, is what I do heading back home).

What do you guys do in the middle of the day when looking to put down a bull? It’s a river valley, I know where they bed (unless they moved out from the area for a day or two). There isn’t one specific place though since it’s a large area without much pressure. What about calling? What calls do you use in those hours?

I was thinking to create another thread, but thought this one would be appropriate and others may find the info useful if anyone replies and it has everything to do with tactics.

Basic Elk day schedule. Feed at night, travel to bed by morning, bed until the sun goes down, travel to feed, feed all night, repeat.. Usually from sun up until 10-11 am Elk are traveling to bedding areas. It's my experience you won't call them off course to you. They have a destination in mind and are not easily swayed. Once bedded a hunter has better than average chance to call Elk. Locate a bedded bull by blessing ( if possible) or location bugle. Often bulls will bugle from their bed giving away their location. That's when you pull out your calling skills to bring those bulls to you. Honestly check put Paul Medel the Elk nut. He's one of the best at calling and killing lazy bedded bulls. Check put his " slow play" sequence. Exactly what your needing
Old 09-21-2020, 11:31 AM

Haha. You mean the guy whose video I put a link for just above my previous post?

Thanks for the reply, obsessed. I am assuming for them to let their presence known during day hours is the hardest part. I don’t want to make too much racket out there because I want to keep it as a “low pressure” area. I think I will head out and see if I can locate a bull without getting too close and go from there. If none respond, I think I may just leave and go back to my regular “routine”.

Most bugles I hear this year are in the morning or just past legal time, as if they have a clock to know when it’s over. A bull started bugling yesterday as I was packing myself into the vehicle. I pulled the tube back out and got him to close in and chuckle. It’s fun getting them going. But yes, they aren’t as vocal as they were last season at this time of year.

Today would be a good day to put one down: 17 high during the day (probably cooler in the bush) and as low as 2 during the night (probably a bit warmer in town). All other nights are significantly warmer. So it would be nice to let it hang in the shed overnight and then pack it to the freezer tomorrow morning. I may head out today. Will report back if I go.
Old 09-21-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Haha. You mean the guy whose video I put a link for just above my previous post?

Thanks for the reply, obsessed. I am assuming for them to let their presence known during day hours is the hardest part. I don’t want to make too much racket out there because I want to keep it as a “low pressure” area. I think I will head out and see if I can locate a bull without getting too close and go from there. If none respond, I think I may just leave and go back to my regular “routine”.

Most bugles I hear this year are in the morning or just past legal time, as if they have a clock to know when it’s over. A bull started bugling yesterday as I was packing myself into the vehicle. I pulled the tube back out and got him to close in and chuckle. It’s fun getting them going. But yes, they aren’t as vocal as they were last season at this time of year.

Today would be a good day to put one down: 17 high during the day (probably cooler in the bush) and as low as 2 during the night (probably a bit warmer in town). All other nights are significantly warmer. So it would be nice to let it hang in the shed overnight and then pack it to the freezer tomorrow morning. I may head out today. Will report back if I go.
Lol yup. Sorry didn't look at the poster.
If you think They are bedded in the area get within 200 yds and start the slow play and draw him to you. By the time you start making a huge racket you will have him hooked and be moments away from killing him. I'm assuming by pressure you mean you don't want to draw other hunters to the area. By by using other less known Elk sounds to draw his attention you will be staying on the down low with other hunters

Last edited by obsessed1; 09-21-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 04:09 PM

Great advice.

I would add.

Never call unless your setup and ready to shoot.

Never call and then move right away.

Your much better off to let the Elk do the moving.

Never call when your exposed where a distant Elk can pinpoint your location.

Never cow call too loudly on calm days....Cow Elk don't call half as loud as most hunters do.

Don't draw your bow or move when the Elk is looking at you or for the source of the call ....wait until he is moving and his head goes behind a tree.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:06 PM

Here now. Took about an hour and 15 minutes to locate a bull. As I am texting my cousin that there may very well be a kill today, he calls and says he is going elsewhere and won’t be able to help. (many bad words in my head at this point).

Looks like I am going to leave him be today. I will post another reply later. Still debating what to do. Too tough to get one out of here by oneself, especially this time of the day.

P. S. While I wrote this, another contender is bugling on the left (the fist guy is on the right). And now one more further down the valley, lol.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:23 PM

If it hasn't already been mentioned checkout the Remi warn podcast cutting the distance. For elk checkout #52-57. Lots of useful information. I listen to alot of podcasts on my drive to and from work. This is one of my favorite. Always like learning new tactics and remembering others.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Here now. Took about an hour and 15 minutes to locate a bull. As I am texting my cousin that there may very well be a kill today, he calls and says he is going elsewhere and won’t be able to help. (many bad words in my head at this point).

Looks like I am going to leave him be today. I will post another reply later. Still debating what to do. Too tough to get one out of here by oneself, especially this time of the day.

P. S. While I wrote this, another contender is bugling on the left (the fist guy is on the right). And now one more further down the valley, lol.
I say shoot one and figure the rest out later!
Old 09-22-2020, 01:10 AM

^ Haha. I’ve done that before and it wasn’t fun. Likely that’s how I know not to do it again. Still takes a while to leave when I know it’s the best way to proceed

So yes, no dice today. After the short talk with my cousin (pretty sure he understood I was a little upset) I stayed a bit longer and then left. If I could be back in the morning, I’d probably smack one down (or at least try) and pack out half or so today and the rest first thing in the morning. I will briefly write about it, maybe tomorrow, in the other thread I have going (“first day out” or something like that) in order not to derail or “pollute” in this thread.

As for tactics... What did I do? Nothing special, really. I’ll just outline what did, step by step sort of thing. I sent a bugle (locator) when I was closing in. Maybe about 300 meters to the destination. Like someone mentioned above, never move immediately after the call. Give it at least a minute. I didn’t expect any response and there wasn’t any. I threw my backpack off about 30-50 meters before my “approximate” destination and proceeded with my rifle, knife, bugle, cow call, phone, water, and range finder. When I got to where I was going, I just sat quietly for about 10-15 minutes, observing and listening. The listening part was hard and next to impossible because the wind was quite strong and I doubt I would hear any normal game movement 10-20 yards from me. By now, to approximate, it was about 25-30 minutes since I sent that first bugle. Nothing was happening or nothing I heard anyway. I then sent another bugle and 3-4 cow calls shortly after. There was no response of any kind. Sometimes, this time of year, you won’t hear back vocals but they would let you know otherwise: some type of noise that doesn’t belong in the empty bush, some kind of movement. Often, all would be quite as if there is no life present. I usually know why I am going to any particular spot when elk hunting and know that unless they moved on for a couple of days, elk would be there. So I waited a bit longer, sending an occasional cow call (2-4 at a time). Before sending another bugle, I decided to move to the other end of the hill, maybe 75-100 meters to the side. This wasn’t random because I know where a bull would likely be and, given strong wind, I wanted him to hear me moving as well after I make the call. So I got into the position, sent a bugle and maybe half a minute later (I don’t know how long, I didn’t time it) I rubbed some bush next to me with a stick I picked up on the way. Not sure if it matters, but I like a dry crazy looking stick with some thinner parts that can break away with a crunching sound during the process. Anyway, a couple minutes (maybe less) after the rubbing, I sent some good mews out. Yet, still nothing have happened after all my effort, lol. I was about an hour into it by now since that first bugle I sent. I did some more rubbing with the same stick on the same bush about 5 minutes later and then another round in another few minutes and followed up with a bugle. That was about an hour and 15 minutes into the whole thing. The response was almost immediate this time and I knew he was pretty close.

The rest is described in my previous post above. While I am typing up the text to my cousin, he calls...

While talking to my cousin and writing the post above, the bull bugles a few more times and he is ready to go. At the same time a couple other bulls warmed up and let their presence be known.
Old 09-24-2020, 11:02 PM

For all the elk experts. I am currently hunting elk and have bumped/ran into a few cows that are alone right now? What would be the reason they would be alone right now and not with a herd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Ok so we all have a desire to shoot bulls in bow season but what about those meat hunters who would be happy arrowing a cow just to fill up freezer space? All my cows I have taken are during rifle season ( draws) any one out there whacking cows with a bow consistently? What are you doing to be successful? Tips? Tactics?
I got a cow tonight with my bow. I tried sitting water holes, hiked way too many miles and plum wore myself out. This morning it rained and the Bush was super quite, I stumbled on a cow and a bull and got lucky enough to hit the cow with an arrow. Persistence always wins out.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:34 AM

As a new hunter this year I appreciate this thread. Thanks for posting!
Old 09-25-2020, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summit151 View Post
For all the elk experts. I am currently hunting elk and have bumped/ran into a few cows that are alone right now? What would be the reason they would be alone right now and not with a herd?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sometimes they get seperated/lost.

Hence why "lost cow" is an effective calling tactic.

I have seen cows or heifers alone many times.

When a Cow is being need the heifer or calf is usually left alone.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:30 PM

Copied from other post. Trying to keep info easily found for new hunters.
Question was how far do Elk travel from food to bed.? How to hunt them?

My experience. Elk will travel as far as necessary to find good bedding that covers off all their needs. These needs include but are not inclusive.
#1 good cover ( safety) sometimes they bed in stuff a rabbit would have trouble getting through
#2 cool spot ( Elk are built for cold weather.) They look for the coolest spots and will sometimes move during the day to keep cool/ shaded
#3 water. Elk will usually bed with water within a short safe distance. They need water multiple times a day. They don t need a river, sometimes it's nothing more than a large puddle.

Look for Elk possibly bedded on the shady side of a hill. Look for small benches( sometimes only feet wide) Elk typically bed 2/3 up the shady side of the hill.
Old 09-25-2020, 01:32 PM

Copied from other post

Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Lots of good info. Obsessed, this calling situation your describing, would you only do this close or during prime time? Or would you still try this mid day?

Mid. Day. While they are bedded.
When Elk are moving you will have a hard time calling them of their intended path. Generally they have a destination in mind and wont easily be swayed. You need to be in their parth to connect. While bedded though you have a captive listening ear. Your trying to play on their needs and emotion to draw them to you