Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-19-2020, 03:06 PM

Default Fluorocarbon line....

... what is the best line for spinner rigs and river rigs, 15lb test. Would prefer a pony spool and not leader material because of cost.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-19-2020, 03:56 PM

i use seaguar invisx. awesome line.

dont use the trilenne stuff. its garbage
Old 09-19-2020, 04:11 PM

I've used a few brands of regular fluorocarbon (regular line not leader) like Berkley, Seaguar and P-Line to do exactly what you are doing (tying up some spinner rigs) and they all work quite well. I can't really see a big benefit or advantage of any of those brands to be 100% honest with you.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:29 AM

I tie all my spinner rigs with 20 lb segaur leader material. It seems to handle pike teeth better than regular floro. Especially mid summer, I find a lot of big pike at walleye depth. I figure line cost is small compared to blades and especially this year it's hard to find the blades I find most productive.
Old 09-20-2020, 09:44 AM

i tie all mine with fire line , never loose one to a pike. and it doesnot seem to bother the fish. as you are trolling and have beads and floats ect covering the line. for still fishing thats another story i do use floral .
Old 09-20-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
I tie all my spinner rigs with 20 lb segaur leader material. It seems to handle pike teeth better than regular floro. Especially mid summer, I find a lot of big pike at walleye depth. I figure line cost is small compared to blades and especially this year it's hard to find the blades I find most productive.
I use the same with same results
Old 09-20-2020, 04:40 PM

I tie all mine with leader material only. It is a lessons learned for me after trying many types of lines and lost lot of fish. Finally
settled with leader material. Using Pline and seagaur for now. Tried trilene and Maxima before and both of them broke once, so stopped using it. Bought a new stretchable fluorocarbon leader line from cabelas called SOFT STEEL. Haven't used it yet.
Old 09-20-2020, 05:27 PM

I ordered a spool of Seaguar Red off of Amazon. The stuff I had was old, 5 or more years. Broke off 3 fish on friday after I switched to it from a super line of some sort. Was not happy.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-21-2020, 10:20 AM

8 lb Seguar flouro Premier. Tough and smallest diameter. I've brought in 20 lb pike with this 8 lb leader no prob. I have used 10 & 12 lb as well but I honestly think the big old girls can feel the stiffer, heavier flouro. It's all supposed to be virtually invisible under the water but im not so sure. 10-15 lb will work fine for eyes if they're in a mood but on finicky bodies of water I generally go with 8 lb.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:00 AM

Seaguar TATSU is a mainline flouro that is actually just as good as leader material in the smaller tests. Pricey but overall saves a lot....
Old 09-21-2020, 12:57 PM

Not personally a big fan of any fluoro I've tried to date. I find fluoro has less stretch than mono, knot strength isn't as good, and abrasion resistance to be much less than mono in similar line diameter. I'm not convinced there is much improvement in visibility (or lack thereof) also at least from what I see when the line is in the water. Just great marketing. I find it does cast slightly better.

I run a good quality braid for my main line and switched back to a good quality mono for a short leader on all my reels. I still catch plenty of fish and don't appear to break as many off. My 2 cents.