Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 06:07 PM

Default Possible drowning- Sylvan Lake

Hey all,

Anyone have first hand information on a possible drowning today?

Seems like alot of emergency personal as per the news.....
Old 08-21-2019, 06:28 PM
Banned

Man in his 20’s fell off a tube and never resurfaced (as per global news)
Old 08-21-2019, 06:32 PM

WHAT? No life jacket, personal floatation device. Never a good thing but got to be smart about it.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
WHAT? No life jacket, personal floatation device. Never a good thing but got to be smart about it.
I agree....How many times do you hear about amatuer rafters going down the Bow River without life jackets.....
Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 PM

We live just across the road from the marina, everyone was searching by the main pier, haven't gone back to see but as posted on "Meanwhile in Sylvan Lake Facebook" as of an hour ago (7:00 pm) they are still a number boats out on the water still searching.

Edit: .... can't confirm but someone just posted the following on Sylvan's Facebook site ... One survivor, two brought in deceased, recovering the last body now. Very very sad day. It's crazy busy, but eerily quiet. 😥
Four men on a capsized inner tube

Sad news.

D.

From Sylvan News Paper ...

RCMP and fire departments respond to possible drowning on Sylvan Lake

RCMP say they are actively searching for a man in his 20s with boats on the lake

Megan Roth Aug. 21, 2019 5:40 p.m. Local News posted

Sylvan Lake RCMP responded to a possible drowning Wednesday afternoon.

At 3:35 p.m. RCMP were alerted to a man in his early 20s possibly drowning.

A press release from the RCMP say the man fell into the water while on an inner tube and did not resurface.

Searches have been conducted for the man by Sylvan Lake RCMP, Sylvan Lake Fire Department and Red Deer County Fire Department.

RCMP say a helicopter has also been deployed to aide in the search.

As of publishing, the man has not yet been found.

RCMP say crews are still actively searching for the man, with boats still on the water.

More information to come as it is made available.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 08-21-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:57 PM
Banned

Darwin prevails ...God Speed..
Old 08-22-2019, 06:50 AM

Been following it on the Sylvan Lake FB site.

People get thinned out when the lifeguard for the gene pool takes a day off I guess..
Old 08-22-2019, 08:04 AM
Banned

My cousins were lifeguards at Fairmont Hot Springs Resort and say some people don’t know they can’t swim, most from foreign countries. We watched it happen this summer when a grown man, like this victim in his early 20’s had to be rescued in the dive pool because he jumped off the diving board then realized he couldn’t swim. So weird people can be so naive.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nfl...cid=spartandhp
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives
Old 08-22-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
My cousins were lifeguards at Fairmont Hot Springs Resort and say some people don’t know they can’t swim, most from foreign countries. We watched it happen this summer when a grown man, like this victim in his early 20’s had to be rescued in the dive pool because he jumped off the diving board then realized he couldn’t swim. So weird people can be so naive.
People like that should be treated like backcountry skiers and people who ride sleds who get lost or involved in an avalanche...

Make them pay for the rescue. $5000 - $10,000 sounds good.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:35 AM

I'm no expert on drowning, but to just fall off a tube and never resurface is weird, isn't it?
Old 08-22-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
I'm no expert on drowning, but to just fall off a tube and never resurface is weird, isn't it?
Yeah that's what I was wondering... how does that happen?!
Old 08-22-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Only things I can think of is the tube flipped completely over and the rider was knocked unconscious or the body got caught in something that was not visible from the surface like an abandoned net. Both seem unlikely though stranger things have happened. Drugs and or alcohol could be a factor as well.

The news shows normal float tubes like pool toys but is it possible they were being pulled behind a boat when the incident occurred?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-22-2019, 10:47 AM

Tube drifts out a bit. Victim is a non-swimmer who is now literally over his head. Six feet of water would be deadly for a lot of people.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly85 View Post
Yeah that's what I was wondering... how does that happen?!
Shallows at Sylvan go out a long ways.

Grizz
Old 08-22-2019, 12:57 PM

Caught the local news and as of this morning the search teams are still trying to locate one body, male early twenties. Very sad day for the families and the Sylvan Lake community. Having had a first hand experience with a drowning situation believe me when panic strikes the victim they will fight you to the bottom of the lake. D.H.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Prayers for the families affected
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Drove down Lakeshore at 1:30 this afternoon, they're still looking, most of the search/rescue boats are working the area just to the north east side of the main pier just past the buoy markers.

Lots of people on the beach watching, hope they find the fellow soon & his family can find some closure and he can rest in peace.

D.

Sylvan Lake News update.

Search continues for possible drowning on Sylvan Lake

Sylvan Lake RCMP and Fire Department continue their search for 20-something adult male

Megan RothAug. 22, 2019 9:50 a.m. Local News

Sylvan Lake’s RCMP and Fire Department are continuing their search for a possible drowning victim Thursday morning.

The search for the male in his 20s was called off Wednesday evening around 9 p.m. due to poor light conditions.

RCMP and the Sylvan Lake Fire Department will be joined by the Red Deer Fire Department and Fish and Wildlife to continue the search.

RCMP say the man they are searching for was on an inner tube when a wave knocked them him off his tube. Another adult male was also knocked from his inner tube but was helped out of the water but near-by citizens in a dinghy helped him out of the water.

RCMP officers say at no time were children in need of rescuing.

Officers were called to Sylvan Lake around 3:30 p.m. on Aug. 21 when reports of a possible drowning were made.

As of the morning of Aug. 22 no further information is known.

More to come, as is made available.

Edit from my earlier post: .... can't confirm but someone just posted the following on Sylvan's Facebook site ... One survivor, two brought in deceased, recovering the last body now. Very very sad day. It's crazy busy, but eerily quiet. 😥 Four men on a capsized inner tube

The foregoing was fake news, the thread/comments the individual posted on "Meanwhile in Sylvan Lake - Facebook" have been deleted by the Admin. I don't understand why or how some people would make this stuff up.

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 08-22-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-22-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
People like that should be treated like backcountry skiers and people who ride sleds who get lost or involved in an avalanche...

Make them pay for the rescue. $5000 - $10,000 sounds good.
Kinda hard to make him pay when they're dead! Can't fix stupid, no matter how hard you try.
Old 08-22-2019, 09:56 PM
Banned

Default They found him.

Great work by search and rescue, the family can now start to get closure.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:49 PM

Noticed a number of RCMP & other Emerg vehicles pulling boats going by our place headed back towards the detachment, pleased to read the search is over and the fellow can be returned to his family & RIP.

D.

Sylvan Lake News Update:

Megan Roth Aug. 22, 2019 9:15 p.m. Local News

Body of 19-year-old drowning victim recovered from Sylvan Lake

RCMP say the body was recovered the evening of Aug. 22.

Sylvan Lake RCMP have confirmed the body of the drowning victim has been recovered.

RCMP say the body of the 19-year-old was recovered from Sylvan Lake around 6:30 p.m. Thursday.

He was discovered near the location where he was reported as being last seen.

RCMP agencies, fire departments, Fish and Wildlife and other departments, along with many volunteers, worked together to locate the man.

RCMP and the Sylvan Lake Fire Department were first call to the lake on the afternoon of Aug. 21 after reports of a possible drowning.

Two men were knocked off of their flotation devices by a wave. RCMP say one man was pulled out of the water by nearby citizens.

The other man, identified by a family friend as Palwinder Singh of Edmonton, did not resurface.

RCMP said his body was found close to where he was last seen.

Local RCMP do not expect any further updates to the incident.

“Friends, family and members of the public have been deeply affected by this tragic event,” an RCMP press release says.

Old 08-22-2019, 11:21 PM

Really unfortunate.

To those who post things like “stupid”, “Darwin at work”, etc: you are all ridiculous and hypocrites. Either too young to realize or too old to remember, or not of the brightest bunch yourselves. Most everyone does dumb **** when they are that age, including yourselves in all likelihood. Fortunately, 99.9999 whatever percent of the time outcome is different than it is in this situation, so you all came back home in one piece and so did your kids. Some parents, however, get the call instead of the kid coming back home. Tomorrow it could be any of your kids that age, you know. You should be ashamed of your posts.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 PM

Don't wanna say it but have to "DRUNK STUPID OR STONED" maybe all three
Nobody get's on my three person tube without a life jacket or floatation device. Pretty weird he went under that quick. They might have knocked heads together before being launched from tube. Did they have a spotter watching? Was the driver just trying to throw them off by going as fast as he could in circles? Even knocked out I don't think you would sink to the bottom till you totally fill your insides ( lungs and stomach )with water. Guess we won't know until the interviews are done. Bad situation all round for sure. No one that young deserves to have his book closed. Just a short story now
Old 08-22-2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
To young guys from a foreign country went down by the train bridge in kenora Ont last summer,one fell in and the other tried to save him and both drowned.18 and 19 years of age. They moved to Winnipeg and there first trip near fast water and there last. Sad deal for all involved .

There was some article written about how many of this people don't know how to swim.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Really unfortunate.

To those who post things like “stupid”, “Darwin at work”, etc: you are all ridiculous and hypocrites. Either too young to realize or too old to remember, or not of the brightest bunch yourselves. Most everyone does dumb **** when they are that age, including yourselves in all likelihood. Fortunately, 99.9999 whatever percent of the time outcome is different than it is in this situation, so you all came back home in one piece and so did your kids. Some parents, however, get the call instead of the kid coming back home. Tomorrow it could be any of your kids that age, you know. You should be ashamed of your posts.
I agree with you as I reflect on things I did at the age of 18-22 years old and I can think of at least twice were I could of died and didn’t.

Terrible day for the family’s/community.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:13 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/5801316/s...-edmonton-man/
Old 08-23-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Really unfortunate.

You nailed it. A lot of guys with either halos or short memories in here. Wonder what they'd have to say if it was their son.

There but for the grace of God go I.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Really unfortunate.

Couldnt agree more with this!!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:15 AM

Sounds like they were floating on a tube in the swimming area and were swept away out into the lake, one who couldn't swim didn't make it.

Most 20 year old's wouldn't be wearing a PFD in that situation.I know I wouldn't have back then.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Don't wanna say it but have to "DRUNK STUPID OR STONED" maybe all three
Nobody get's on my three person tube without a life jacket or floatation device. Pretty weird he went under that quick. They might have knocked heads together before being launched from tube. Did they have a spotter watching? Was the driver just trying to throw them off by going as fast as he could in circles? Even knocked out I don't think you would sink to the bottom till you totally fill your insides ( lungs and stomach )with water. Guess we won't know until the interviews are done. Bad situation all round for sure. No one that young deserves to have his book closed. Just a short story now
My understanding is they werent being towed behind a boat.
they were just out from the beach floating on a tube like 100s of people do every day.

so lets not jump to conclusions.
Closed Thread