Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Dont go by the scale. Measure yourself as inches will fall off but weight we fluctuate

I noticed that, actually I stopped getting on scale for that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-11-2019, 10:02 AM

Week 3 ended today-What I have learned.

Insulin matters more than calories.

And Keto has it's own timelines and reasons that can be hard to expedite and bend to my will
Old 08-25-2019, 09:01 AM

2 more weeks on Keto tracking every bite-eating to my Ketogains macros. Diet doctor menu plan for all but 3 meals in the last 2 weeks and they were Keto.
Zero cheats.No snacking.
Beverages have been black coffee and water-no exceptions
Up a lb.
85% of 11 lbs of total weight loss in last 5 weeks happened on week 1.

Keto urine strips are showing moderate ketosis. I know not accurate, but do indicate a trend. Tape measure shows minimal change in last 2 weeks

Just confused as what to do next.So many conflicting ideas in my head. Lost confidence in Diet Doctor-Looking for a different site moving forward.

Last edited by omega50; 08-25-2019 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
2 more weeks on Keto tracking every bite-eating to my Ketogains macros. Diet doctor menu plan for all but 3 meals in the last 2 weeks and they were Keto.
Zero cheats.No snacking.
Up a lb.

Keto urine strips are showing moderate ketosis. I know not accurate, but do indicate a trend. Tape measure shows minimal change in last 2 weeks

Just confused as what to do next.So many conflicting ideas in my head. Lost confidence in Diet Doctor-Looking for a different site moving forward.
Same activity level? Sometimes you have to up the cardio when there is a stall..
Old 08-25-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Zero cheats.No snacking.
Up a lb.

Have you tried intermittent fasting with keto? I always maintained while on keto until i mixed in fasting.
Old 08-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Slightly more activity than normal.
Have not tried fasting, but I guess that is next on the list.

Have lost over 100 lbs on 2 occasions in the last 20 years with low fat diets.
Was on Atkins in the 90's eating mostly processed meats and piggy puffs and easily lost 40 plus pounds in 8 weeks, But this run at Keto has been much more researched and structured and much higher quality food than anything in my past and the results have been positive for joint pain, but disappointing for fat loss.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM

No matter what your eating style or diet is, fat loss is from a caloric deficit. You can’t be in a surplus of calories. Burn more calories than you take in. It’s that simple..
Old 08-25-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
No matter what your eating style or diet is, fat loss is from a caloric deficit. You can’t be in a surplus of calories. Burn more calories than you take in. It’s that simple..
Not sure what your macros are, but everyone I know use this calculator to figure them out. I follow it and its perfect.

https://www.ketogains.com/calculator/
Old 08-25-2019, 10:05 PM

I tried Keto and didn’t see the success I had tracking my calories. Went back to using MyFitnessPal. Counting calories but eating what I wanted. Not a ton of carbs cause I’m not a big carb guy but no need to fuss over having a slice of bread. Once I started tracking again, the weight started coming off. More work for sure but works me.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:31 PM

Default Couple of options...

Quote:
Zero cheats.No snacking.
Up a lb.

I don't follow keto myself, but do cook for (and listen to) a few folks that do. A couple of them had situations similar to what you've described here, so they did some experimenting to see what they needed to change. Both found that they needed to cut down on cheese and other dairy fats, and increase plant fats that occur with fibre. This did increase total carb intake, although they still maintained ketosis with net carbs of under 30g daily.

The increase in flaxseed, chia, nuts, avocado, peanuts / peanut butter, and the use of psyllium fibre for "bread-like items" brought their daily intake of fibre up well over 30g most days, which made their digestive systems happier, got things moving better, and seemed to change how everything was processed so that they started losing weight at a slow but steady pace.

I don't know whether it made any difference or not, but I noticed that they both also started having a wider variety of vegetables, too. They trimmed the portions enough to suit their macro needs, but were able to include a lot of different choices every week - which definitely helped meet their vitamin / mineral needs, and seemed to have a positive impact on their digestion, too.

Both folks who needed / made these changes originally tried keto to deal with inflammation / auto-immune disease, and did find that it made a difference even when they weren't losing weight. This was why they felt it worthwhile to spend some time experimenting to see whether some minor tweaks might make it work even better.

Hope some minor tweaks make things work better for you!

"Pulling together is the aim of despotism and tyranny. Free men pull in all kinds of directions....It's the only way to make progress." - from Sir Terry Pratchett's The Truth
Old 08-27-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDemeter View Post
I don't follow keto myself, but do cook for (and listen to) a few folks that do. A couple of them had situations similar to what you've described here, so they did some experimenting to see what they needed to change. Both found that they needed to cut down on cheese and other dairy fats, and increase plant fats that occur with fibre. This did increase total carb intake, although they still maintained ketosis with net carbs of under 30g daily.

The increase in flaxseed, chia, nuts, avocado, peanuts / peanut butter, and the use of psyllium fibre for "bread-like items" brought their daily intake of fibre up well over 30g most days, which made their digestive systems happier, got things moving better, and seemed to change how everything was processed so that they started losing weight at a slow but steady pace.

I don't know whether it made any difference or not, but I noticed that they both also started having a wider variety of vegetables, too. They trimmed the portions enough to suit their macro needs, but were able to include a lot of different choices every week - which definitely helped meet their vitamin / mineral needs, and seemed to have a positive impact on their digestion, too.

Both folks who needed / made these changes originally tried keto to deal with inflammation / auto-immune disease, and did find that it made a difference even when they weren't losing weight. This was why they felt it worthwhile to spend some time experimenting to see whether some minor tweaks might make it work even better.

Hope some minor tweaks make things work better for you!

I appreciate the thoughtful insight.

I have relied heavily on cheese to increase fats to my macros. Biggest struggle on Keto has been increasing fats to my macros, so this is a bit of a light bulb going off as even eating strictly to keto plan, most sites also rely heavily on cheese and dairy fats in their recipes.
At no point have I exceeded 1700 calories in a day, but mostly the fats have come from meats, butter and dairy.
Carbs have been on average 18 -25 grams a day
Protein is about 140 grams a day

Worthy of re-consideration.

Last edited by omega50; 08-27-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:

I have relied heavily on cheese to increase fats to my macros. Biggest struggle on Keto has been increasing fats to my macros, so this is a bit of a light bulb going off as even eating strictly to keto plan, most sites also rely heavily on cheese and dairy fats in their recipes.
At no point have I exceeded 1700 calories in a day, but mostly the fats have come from meats, butter and dairy.

Also alot of peoples macros are out of wack with cray high fats. I always recommend the ketogains calculator I posted a link to previously.

Keto is more than losing fat to. If I eat breads, starches etc I lose all energy, want to sleep, high blood pressure etc. I sleep like a champ to but if I carb out im up all night. So many advantages to this way of life.
Old 08-27-2019, 06:22 PM

Default keto

I agree its a life style. If I say diet, it seems like I set myself up for failure. Have lost almost 50 pounds in 15 months. First few months , i lost most of it. Pant size from 44 to 36 currently. The tummy still needs some work They say its first on and last off. Within 7 pounds of my goal...
Some friend s have had amazing results... psoriasis reduced. diabetes almost gone

its worth giving it a try !!!
Old 08-27-2019, 09:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citysfs View Post
I agree its a life style. If I say diet, it seems like I set myself up for failure. Have lost almost 50 pounds in 15 months. First few months , i lost most of it. Pant size from 44 to 36 currently. The tummy still needs some work They say its first on and last off. Within 7 pounds of my goal...
Some friend s have had amazing results... psoriasis reduced. diabetes almost gone

its worth giving it a try !!!
Old 08-28-2019, 05:19 AM

Quote:

Omega, if you have not checked it out, have a peruse through the KetoGains Facebook page.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:17 PM

My biggest complaint about the keto diet...is I need to buy new damn pants!

These were snug the last time I wore them. Mind blowing!

Old 09-03-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Omega, if you have not checked it out, have a peruse through the KetoGains Facebook page.

I did join KetoGains Facebook a few days ago. Looks ok , but not geared specifically to fat loss.

I will go hard on Keto 2 more weeks which will make 2 months, but then will go back to other diet restrictions which have worked far more effectively in the past.

Must be a damaged metabolism as now I am gaining at a slow rate with my KetoGains macros and a 30% deficit.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:48 AM

Snake diet... it is a fasting based lifestyle.
I never thought I would be able to fast for any length of time as I love food but it really isnt all that bad. Get on the snake juice and fast away the fat. Has worked better for me than Keto did. Cole is crude but that's how he motivates people, and it works.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post

Fantastic

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 09-03-2019, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeforthree View Post
Fantastic
X2
Old 09-05-2019, 01:31 PM

Default energy .. I need energy

I want to say congratulations to all in your journey to a healthy and more fit lifestyle.. holy hell this is a journey that I can't believe we don't learn in schools for goodness sake!
Personally I began my journey on Aug 3rd 2019, too date I'm down 27.7lbs(yes, I now count EVERYTHING even my steps lol. Ketones in pee, now those in my blood(since the beginning) weigh everything on my Hornady scale(cause im too cheap to buy a designated food scale, yet. and Ive been supplementing with omega 369, calmag & zinc.. zero cheat days.. my cheat days are eating like 10 carbs more than normal.. or more fat and protein than what "my" (personal) macros call for.
at this time I am about to chow down on my first steak (big ole ribeye) and yup it counts. everything else has been lots of chicken breast, was eating lots of tuna(although "Keto induced gout" in my left toe ended that fun) anyhow... my diet now consists and will be that of wild shot ducks and geese.
I've now got nearly our total limit on geese, and max out on my ducks until I eat more lol. its been a great season thus far, and I don't think its even very well begun(migration) mind you I did harvest my first Speck of '19 yesterday.. quite a few birds up high mostly ducks, yet. and of course our beloved resident Honkers. (I haven't seen many lessers just yet, not as many as im hoping) of course I am in the Lloydminster area.
Anyhow what this is about is, on opening morning I hunted with a pal.. Monday and Yesterday(Wednesdasy) I hunted solo. (being disabled((8 fractured vertebrae)) I have the time if I can pull it off that day) my setting of the decoys was trying.. more yesterday than on Monday (still a lil exhausted from Sunday and Monday.. yet as long as im still kicking im going to do my damnedest to live some sort of quality of life. I can do this as being in a Laydown blind is the supine position I need to randomly be in, almost constantly. As you can imagine it takes me a good 3 hours to pack my decoy trailer with my 8+ dozen decoys.. lots of crawling in my trailer to lie down for ten minutes when the back flares up. this stuff is no problem for me while solo. its my life.(im now making my hunting cot a full-time resident of the decoy trailer
what im getting at is I don't know, but I truly feel that lots of my resting was necessary due to lack of energy! holy hell I struggled.. I do consume a smoothie almost daily (which consists of most of me daily carbs) with1 scoop of ON iso whey protein, coconut oil, frozen blueberries, pineapple chunks, and even coconut chunks. As I was drinking this in my blind yesterday I wasn't sure if that's enough.
So in trying to stay away from seafoods and my beloved red meat(meaning not as much as I normally would).. although I absolutely love most all of it.. not sure if its full of energy.. im kind of confused at the moment too, lol..

Does anyone know of a great way to replenish energy, while on this "starvation" lifestyle lol. ive spent so much time trying to raise my ketones and eating a balanced diet... im sick of Pork rinds... can't put another one in my mouth for the past few days.

thanks in advance
JS
Old 09-05-2019, 10:48 PM
Banned

Not on keto due the gf being able to eat whatever she wants and not gain weight and since she cooks its whatever she wants to make for dinner.

But

I thought I'd recommend people on keto to go to a store in Edmonton or airdrie called "Johnny B Sweet" they carry a lot of American products and lots of keto products. Stevia sweet drops for coffee, for example. They have Instagram and a website. Could be a good option for some people here.
Old 09-06-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seige View Post
I want to say congratulations to all in your journey to a healthy and more fit lifestyle.. holy hell this is a journey that I can't believe we don't learn in schools for goodness sake!
Personally I began my journey on Aug 3rd 2019, too date I'm down 27.7lbs(yes, I now count EVERYTHING even my steps lol. Ketones in pee, now those in my blood(since the beginning) weigh everything on my Hornady scale(cause im too cheap to buy a designated food scale, yet. and Ive been supplementing with omega 369, calmag & zinc.. zero cheat days.. my cheat days are eating like 10 carbs more than normal.. or more fat and protein than what "my" (personal) macros call for.
at this time I am about to chow down on my first steak (big ole ribeye) and yup it counts. everything else has been lots of chicken breast, was eating lots of tuna(although "Keto induced gout" in my left toe ended that fun) anyhow... my diet now consists and will be that of wild shot ducks and geese.
I've now got nearly our total limit on geese, and max out on my ducks until I eat more lol. its been a great season thus far, and I don't think its even very well begun(migration) mind you I did harvest my first Speck of '19 yesterday.. quite a few birds up high mostly ducks, yet. and of course our beloved resident Honkers. (I haven't seen many lessers just yet, not as many as im hoping) of course I am in the Lloydminster area.
Anyhow what this is about is, on opening morning I hunted with a pal.. Monday and Yesterday(Wednesdasy) I hunted solo. (being disabled((8 fractured vertebrae)) I have the time if I can pull it off that day) my setting of the decoys was trying.. more yesterday than on Monday (still a lil exhausted from Sunday and Monday.. yet as long as im still kicking im going to do my damnedest to live some sort of quality of life. I can do this as being in a Laydown blind is the supine position I need to randomly be in, almost constantly. As you can imagine it takes me a good 3 hours to pack my decoy trailer with my 8+ dozen decoys.. lots of crawling in my trailer to lie down for ten minutes when the back flares up. this stuff is no problem for me while solo. its my life.(im now making my hunting cot a full-time resident of the decoy trailer
what im getting at is I don't know, but I truly feel that lots of my resting was necessary due to lack of energy! holy hell I struggled.. I do consume a smoothie almost daily (which consists of most of me daily carbs) with1 scoop of ON iso whey protein, coconut oil, frozen blueberries, pineapple chunks, and even coconut chunks. As I was drinking this in my blind yesterday I wasn't sure if that's enough.
So in trying to stay away from seafoods and my beloved red meat(meaning not as much as I normally would).. although I absolutely love most all of it.. not sure if its full of energy.. im kind of confused at the moment too, lol..

Does anyone know of a great way to replenish energy, while on this "starvation" lifestyle lol. ive spent so much time trying to raise my ketones and eating a balanced diet... im sick of Pork rinds... can't put another one in my mouth for the past few days.

thanks in advance
JS
Fats are energy

Try cheeses.

I also liked to whip some cream with a few berries in it.

Bacon. Yum.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-06-2019, 03:16 PM

Been off Keto for 4 months

Have not put any weight back on.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-06-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwackwabbit View Post
They are similar in the initial phase in that carbs are limited. They differ due to the amount of protein consumed in Atkins. Too much protein (above your macros) on Keto and the body starts to convert it to "sugar" and treat it as it would carbs for fuel or storage (fat).

Here is my before and after pictures so far.

Cheers,

Scott.
Ad agencies couldnt do better thats uplifting before and after stuff
Old 09-06-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxman View Post
Ad agencies couldnt do better thats uplifting before and after stuff
Cheers

Cheers,

Scott.
Old 09-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post

Great work. I have also had to trim down my wardrobe in the last 6 months. Suits are a happy pain and finally I gave up and just went to thrift stores and mixed and matched suits and pants. Have gone from 48 waist to 38 waist so far, down 96 lbs with about another 30-40 to go.
I wish I had kept my old jeans just for fun but it is very satisfying donating your too big clothes.

This thread is a great inspiration, keep up the good work everyone.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:09 AM

Default Hair loss

I have lost 80 lbs and feel great only thing is my hair is falling out and really thinning where I had a normal head of hair.Any thoughts on what to do
Old 09-08-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I have lost 80 lbs and feel great only thing is my hair is falling out and really thinning where I had a normal head of hair.Any thoughts on what to do
They say a collagen supplement works.
I've reached my goal weight now at 185 started at 250ish
Old 09-09-2019, 06:41 AM

Default keto

I too have been on keto with the wife. I have lost 29 lbs since march!
Just feel better overall...