Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-22-2019, 12:39 PM

Default 2019 Father and Son Hunt. The Scout.

My Son and I put in a fair bit of time scouting some land we hunt this year. He just finished high school and has enlisted in the military, so who knows what opportunities we'll have to hunt together in the coming years.

This will be his first year bow hunting and he's ready and raring to go. I've been practising too.

We have a cow moose draw and a couple of whitetail tags. We had 5 cameras out starting in May and got a good idea of what's in the area.
There are about 10 different moose with bulls and cows with calves.
The whitetail herd there is good and the buck to doe ratio seems to be 50/50 or so, with several fawns.

In abouts 2014 the deer took a pretty good hit with hard winters and the population seemed to be quite low. They look like they've recovered nicely and the moose have always done well here. Whitetail bucks of all ages but nothing over 5 1/2 or so. Hard to say for sure. Looks really promising overall though.

We set up our blind, cleared lanes, etc., and set up cams last weekend. Strategy and plans made. Now we wait. Really looking forward to opening day.

I posted some of the moose pics in the other thread I made today (asking about how to post pics ). There are two sisters from last year that hang out together. One of those would be perfect.

These are the best bucks we've seen:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Will update about our hunt as it progesses. Stay tuned.......