Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM
Banned

Default to 3wt fly rod users???

Thinking of making my next fly rod a 3wt, but have little experience with them....

How do you like them?
What conditions do you use them?
How are they in gusty wind conditions?
What's the biggest fish you would go for with one?
How are they with heavier dries or nymphs?

Any info would help....thanks
Old 03-19-2013, 06:42 PM

Ive got a 3wt tfo finnese rod, with a nice smaller reel I use on the small mountain streams. its 6 ft long so pretty mobile.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:57 PM

It is very "refreshing" using a 3 wt rod if you are used to heavier rods like 5 wt and up. They really need to be balanced, I think it is more important with the lightweights then the heavier rods. Going out on a windy day with a 3 wt is an exercise in frustration. I would not bother ever hucking anything but small drys. Someone will probably disagree but... You want to really use your three wt for its best attribute, laying out your line just off the water with a dry....and stick with the DT lines. The 3 wt and lighter deserve DT lines IMO. As for the size of fish, I have used 2 and 3 wt on every southern drainage in alberta many times. You will run into bigger fish and the best way to handle bigger fish is to take bigger risks for the fish's sake.I would suggest if you think you are into to big a fish and you are going to harm it by playing it to long just point the rod at the fish, your"troubles" will be over. Your ft/rotation on your reel is going to be much less than the bigger stuff too.
If you are considering a lightweight go for it, you will love it! It is just plain fun.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 PM

I have a couple...

A 7'6" Redington CT and and 8' 5 piece custom DanCraft. The Redington is the rod for streams such as the Liv, Jumping Pound, etc., and the DanCraft is for Oldman sized streams. Anything smaller (eg Corral Creek) I would use a 2 wt 7' or maybe a 6'6" (If I had one). I have caught up to a 22" rainbows with the Redington and the same sized cutties with the DanCraft and neither have I had issues with up to Size 8 hoppers (might be pushing it with size 8 though)... Wind has definitely been an issue for the Oldman! But certainly would depend on the action of the rod... Both of mine are medium and med/fast (read soft) and great for dry fly fishing with size 20 - size 8 (I haven't fished anything smaller or larger)...

P
Old 03-19-2013, 07:35 PM

I have 2 3wts. One is a loomis stream dance, the other is an orvis zero gravity. They dont see much use anymore... but thats because i dont spend much time anymore fishing small stuff.

That being said, i've used them for cutts to 4lbs, and have had zero issues. Biggest fish i landed was a 23" rainbow out of beaver lake 4 years ago. Again zero issues with the proper tippet.

Like someone said above, up to size 8 flies are doable, biggest i've fished is a 4 with heavy dumbell eyes... (thats only because i had a bull chasing my cutty and didnt have a bigger setup) It was stressful on the rod, and not something i'd do on a regular basis.

But if mountain streams + dry flies are your thing, then a 3wt is for you. Thats about all it really covers.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
I have 2 3wts. One is a loomis stream dance, the other is an orvis zero gravity. They dont see much use anymore... but thats because i dont spend much time anymore fishing small stuff.

That being said, i've used them for cutts to 4lbs, and have had zero issues. Biggest fish i landed was a 23" rainbow out of beaver lake 4 years ago. Again zero issues with the proper tippet.

Like someone said above, up to size 8 flies are doable, biggest i've fished is a 4 with heavy dumbell eyes... (thats only because i had a bull chasing my cutty and didnt have a bigger setup) It was stressful on the rod, and not something i'd do on a regular basis.

But if mountain streams + dry flies are your thing, then a 3wt is for you. Thats about all it really covers.
Yes...Mtn streams is exactly my intent.....I have 4,5,6 weights for bigger waters and what it holds.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Great for dry flies in a creek. Helios is like casting a stalk of grass, but with power.
But, I've watched my buddy land lots of 7-9lb trout in a lake with his 3wt. The only way to do that is to use some strong leader 8-10lb. I think he even used his 2wt one time just for fun. He lands fish faster than most would with a 7 or 8wt.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM

Unparalleled as mountain stream rod. Unless your fishing the Oldman gap most days of the year..... lol. My 6 1/2 3wt doesnt fight a real big wind. It handles 14 - 20 in Cutties just fine tho.....
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 PM

I had a 10ft 3wgt GLoomis IMX,, best float tube rod I ever owned!!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 AM

Fished my 7'9" 3pc St Croix Legend Ultra extensively for cutts on Livingstone R. and Racehorse Creek. Handled fish up to 17" easily. Now I primarily use 7' - 7'6" bamboo on those waters, but that's another story.