Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2012, 07:46 AM

Default Water Softener advice

Can anyone recommend a reliable brand of water softener? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 AM

I use North Star, I've never had a problem with them.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 AM

I ended up getting mine off ebay.. it was a Fleck 5600 controller head, most systems use these same heads regardless of the model.. think of fleck as the Briggs and Strat of the softener world.

Anyway.. mine was less than half the price delivered to my door than the local guy was going to sell me the same unit for.. its been going 7 years with no issues..

Make sure you get a water test done and that will tell you want kind of system and what settings you need to make.

Here is a guy on ebay that is in alberta.. free shipping in canada and a website I am sure he will tell you what system you need to get.. about $850?? depending on model I guess..

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Fleck-5600-SX...item43adbe335d
Old 03-08-2012, 04:29 PM

I'm putting an Aquamaster Pro in our house due to the strong recommendation of my plumbing wholesalers. They tell me that they haven't had any coming back or requiring warranty; and as I have a working relationship with them they don't pump me full OD sunshine because they know I stake my reputation on what I install. The units also have lower water consumption that most other units during their regeneration phase and a host of other positive features. You can use either salt or potassium chloride in them. I also like that the unit is quite compact and 'stylish' and can fit under a workbench I'm putting in my mechanical room.

http://www.aquamasterpro.ca/?page_id=7

Last year I had seen one that looked the same using the same outer tank at of all places Costco, marketed under the Watts brand name; but I've been assured that the innards are quite different.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:08 AM

Go to Bartle & Gibson. They sell the 5600 valve, bullet proof valve. I think the guy to talk to is CORY. Most knowledgeable guy I know in the industry. His pricing is really good as well.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:12 AM

I have a Sears Kenmore Ultra Soft 800 and no problems yet. We've had it for over 6 years now. I think the new ones are called MD800 Ultrasoft. Easy installation and I did it myself in around 2 hrs and I'm not even a plumber. Instructions were very straight forward.

http://www.sears.ca/product/kenmore-...er%20softeners
Old 03-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Water softner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I'm putting an Aquamaster Pro in our house due to the strong recommendation of my plumbing wholesalers. They tell me that they haven't had any coming back or requiring warranty; and as I have a working relationship with them they don't pump me full OD sunshine because they know I stake my reputation on what I install. The units also have lower water consumption that most other units during their regeneration phase and a host of other positive features. You can use either salt or potassium chloride in them. I also like that the unit is quite compact and 'stylish' and can fit under a workbench I'm putting in my mechanical room.

http://www.aquamasterpro.ca/?page_id=7

Last year I had seen one that looked the same using the same outer tank at of all places Costco, marketed under the Watts brand name; but I've been assured that the innards are quite different.

what's the cost of these Aquamaster Pro units?

Tags
water softener