Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Default The Truth .. ?

... everything you ever wanted (or needed) to know about modern LR hunting, bullet design and terminal ballistics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBDm41duCTo
Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 PM

Man this old guy... cant decide if I should listen or fall asleep... seems to have good points... but at times it feels like watching his videos... could be better edited or summed up... he’s only 65... those young whipper snappers... where’s my waggling stick...
Old 09-26-2018, 05:42 PM
Banned

Why does the Creedmoor have you so frieghtened?

Lol!
Old 09-26-2018, 05:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Man this old guy... cant decide if I should listen or fall asleep... seems to have good points... but at times it feels like watching his videos... could be better edited or summed up... he’s only 65... those young whipper snappers... where’s my waggling stick...
Reminds me of someone.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Why does the Creedmoor have you so frieghtened?

Lol!
I love the creedmoor. its the best 300 meter antelope cartridge ever invented!
Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I love the creedmoor. its the best 300 meter antelope cartridge ever invented!
It’s great you’ve come to terms with your ability, it will serve you well.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:26 PM

Old 09-27-2018, 09:55 AM

I got this far and that was enough. "a boat tail bullet will shed its lead core on impact very easily." and, what? Transport to another realm or keep plowing forward destroying flesh and killing the animal. Of course it kills the critter, jacket or not.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I got this far and that was enough. "a boat tail bullet will shed its lead core on impact very easily." and, what? Transport to another realm or keep plowing forward destroying flesh and killing the animal. Of course it kills the critter, jacket or not.
He has another video even better where he talks about Ballistic coefficient. Apparently a high ballistic coefficient will result in less windrift, your bullet will fly flatter but it doesn’t affect its energy somehow?

I’m sure he can tell stories about the old days till the cows come home though.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
He has another video even better where he talks about Ballistic coefficient. Apparently a high ballistic coefficient will result in less windrift, your bullet will fly flatter but it doesn’t affect its energy somehow?

I’m sure he can tell stories about the old days till the cows come home though.
So many of these experts are only credible as long as you are prepared to suspend rational thinking. LOL
Old 09-27-2018, 12:34 PM
Banned

Watching his videos I’m surprised he doesn’t have a blog going out on the HAM radio....
Old 09-27-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Watching his videos I’m surprised he doesn’t have a blog going out on the HAM radio....
He may not be a star but he has the experience and knowledge that most current"stars" lack. You're pretty quick to criticize, as usual.
Check out his credentials before you start up your turnip truck.
Old 09-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
He may not be a star but he has the experience and knowledge that most current"stars" lack. You're pretty quick to criticize, as usual.
Check out his credentials before you start up your turnip truck.
What does being a star have to do with anything? He’s just like you, he’s afraid of the Creedmoor.

I can’t for the life of me understand your fear of a cartridge? It really is quite funny.

He goes on about how guys with a Creedmoor will shoot off a box of ammo at an animal at 900yds and only hit it two or three times.... News flash for ya, it’s not just the guys with Creedmoor’s lobbing lead! Heck, I’ll bet my house that even guys with a Swede have tried the same dam thing.

As soon as he said ballistic coefficients are just number that don’t have anything to do with energy he proved he doesn’t know what he’s talking about, he’s merely speaking his own biased opinion, like you.

Whether you like it or not, math doesn’t lie. It’s just something you’ll have to either accept or continue to live in a world where your feelings can alter reality.

Now, as far as my turnip truck goes, I’m guessing you’re referring to something from the dirty 30’s? You’ll have to explain what you’re talking about so I can somehow relate it to his credentials.

My Father is a older than this fella and has been hunting longer than your buddy has been alive, does that mean his opinion trumps math too?

Last edited by Kurt505; 09-27-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:55 PM

FA4C11C2-DA5E-4D48-9102-A33991BA5873.jpg
I’m starting to think creedmor shooters are in the group as born again Christian’s, cross fitters and vegans. I’m sure it’s a fine cartridge but a 140 projectile going 2700-2800 FPS is nothing new.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Banned

Here’s another video from the same fella.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5KDrLsnt2MM

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say this is where his hate for the Creedmoor comes from. He sounds like he messed up trying to build Creedmoor’s and is looking for someone else to blame. I could be wrong but I did a ton of research before choosing to build a Creedmoor and never once read about this wide spread problem he’s talking about. I think it was a case of a short action rifle being a bit shorter than he first anticipated.

Watch the video and see what you figure.

The same guy figures a 7mm mag is a 400yd max elk cartridge.

The Truth...... well I guess it’s out there somewhere.

Last edited by Kurt505; 09-27-2018 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
So many of these experts are only credible as long as you are prepared to suspend rational thinking. LOL
Yup, I watched this am while packing lunches and making breakfasts...entertaining as heck! The hypocrisy was running so thick that he couldn’t see he’s no different than anyone else who’s gone down this path, then or now. Out one side his mouth he couldn’t stand to see the animal suffer but out the other side he was dang sure it was 600 yrd shot even though long before rangefinders etc. Then does it again by saying all these new fangled bullets etc yet he was first on the bandwagon with the new 175 gr 7mm boattail whatever or barnes 140 monos etc.

A walking talking hypocrisy not a bit different from anyone else. He has about as many answers as a good many of us too...he’s just maybe not quite processing the data the same as some of us lol.

Not a great example to parade around Salavee, maybe watch that again.

You listen though and you’ll hear the truth in those stories and experiences. One he was happy as heck to ignore.

I’ll spell it out nice and clear. Shot placement trumps all. Magnums and super tough bullets can save the day for crap placement only a fraction of the time lol. It’s all in the video if you’re paying attention.😉✌️

Seriously though, I almost couldn’t laugh this morning how he went on about guys going long now with today’s cartridges and gear, that that’s not hunting and hunters should aim to get in their skills ranges etc. Then he brags about a 600 yrd shot he took at an elk that was apparently still and broadside in an era where that would equal a 1000 yrd shot now.....where was the hunt? C’mon, I won’t argue he’s got some data to glean...but the processing and logic simply wasn’t there. Nor was any self reflection or accountability. He was blaming anything but himself...bullets mostly, and the new shooters making same mistakes as him next.

There’s some reality for ya...

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-27-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by urcayuse View Post
Attachment 149216
I’m starting to think creedmor shooters are in the group as born again Christian’s, cross fitters and vegans. I’m sure it’s a fine cartridge but a 140 projectile going 2700-2800 FPS is nothing new.
Lol, good one, you might be onto something...

That’s why I went a little further to 123 gr at 2550...the 6.5 Grendel, the Creedmoor was way too overhyped for me.

Really though, I like o get close to perfection then back it off a touch. If I wanted perfect...I’d shoot a Creedmoor no doubt.✌️

Reality check...the build is in my head, it will happen someday. It’s that good.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Yup, I watched this am while packing lunches and making breakfasts...entertaining as heck! The hypocrisy was running so thick that he couldn’t see he’s no different than anyone else who’s gone down this path, then or now. Out one side his mouth he couldn’t stand to see the animal suffer but out the other side he was dang sure it was 600 yrd shot even though long before rangefinders etc. Then does it again by saying all these new fangled bullets etc yet he was first on the bandwagon with the new 175 gr 7mm boattail whatever or barnes 140 monos etc.

A walking talking hypocrisy not a bit different from anyone else. He has about as many answers as a good many of us too...he’s just maybe not quite processing the data the same as some of us lol.

Not a great example to parade around Salavee, maybe watch that again.

You listen though and you’ll hear the truth in those stories and experiences. One he was happy as heck to ignore.

I’ll spell it out nice and clear. Shot placement trumps all. Magnums and super tough bullets can save the day for crap placement only a fraction of the time lol. It’s all in the video if you’re paying attention.😉✌️

Seriously though, I almost couldn’t laugh this morning how he went on about guys going long now with today’s cartridges and gear, that that’s not hunting and hunters should aim to get in their skills ranges etc. Then he brags about a 600 yrd shot he took at an elk that was apparently still and broadside in an era where that would equal a 1000 yrd shot now.....where was the hunt? C’mon, I won’t argue he’s got some data to glean...but the processing and logic simply wasn’t there. Nor was any self reflection or accountability. He was blaming anything but himself...bullets mostly, and the new shooters making same mistakes as him next.

There’s some reality for ya...
Yep, you've got it all together all right. Here we have a guy with decades of solid hunting experience, several years in the firearms and bullet making industry, a well respected custom firearms builder and a wealth of first hand knowledge from both the past and present and along comes Stinky and Kurt to call him out. You two make a great pair !.. reality being what it is.
Enjoy your trips.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yep, you've got it all together all right. Here we have a guy with decades of solid hunting experience, several years in the firearms and bullet making industry, a well respected custom firearms builder and a wealth of first hand knowledge from both the past and present and along comes Stinky and Kurt to call him out. You two make a great pair !.. reality being what it is.
Enjoy your trips.
Lol, it just goes to show that along with expirience you have to understand the physics behind why things happened the way they did. Stinky nailed it when he the guy is full of hypocracy and constantly blames everything else around him but fails to see his mistakes. You two are two peas in a pod, no wonder you love him.

The guy builds a bad rifle, it was 6.5 Creedmoor’s fault...... HAHAHAHA!
Old 09-27-2018, 09:02 PM
Banned

He’s got the experience, and I gladly listened to it...some of us just hear it, some of us don’t. Not really too different from my own experiences or others I know. How you respond and grow is an entirely different thing salavee. Some have zero humble, zero accountability, always pointing the finger as cant be them...anyway, we can get all psychological if you like but when you have a narrow range of behaviours and patterns it really will become an exercise of falling on deaf ears. There are growers and then there are....well...I’ll leave that with you to ponder.✌️
Old 09-27-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
He’s got the experience, and I gladly listened to it...some of us just hear it, some of us don’t. Not really too different from my own experiences or others I know. How you respond and grow is an entirely different thing salavee. Some have zero humble, zero accountability, always pointing the finger as cant be them...anyway, we can get all psychological if you like but when you have a narrow range of behaviours and patterns it really will become an exercise of falling on deaf ears. There are growers and then there are....well...I’ll leave that with you to ponder.✌️

Your experiences are similar to his?
..and you're a phsycologist as well. Gad fella, you are talented.
My humble apologies for even thinking about questioning your credibility, but it still lingers.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your experiences are similar to his?
..and you're a phsycologist as well. Gad fella, you are talented.
My humble apologies for even thinking about questioning your credibility, but it still lingers.
Yup, all our experiences are similar to his. We all go through the learning curves, we all typically make the same mistakes or have the same learning experiences. The difference is his 600 yrd f-ck up he blamed 100% on bullet where if I had the same situation I’d have blamed myself. To me that’s a joke. Where was his accountability? Nope...anything but him, and his shat decision making ability at the time. And make no mistake...we all get in the moment and make very similar mistakes, however, we all respond differently. Some blame equipment or gear, the bullet is an easy out. Reality check though...he had no right touching off on a 600 yrd elk and he should damm well have known it. He did so because he though he was shooting the ultimate cartridge with the ultimate bullet at the time...he got sh-t house lucky he recovered that bull at all! No range finder era...are you kidding me? The arrogance of him is outstanding...met many like and will meet many more. There are so many people walking that can’t look in the mirror, that’s life.

Judge me if you like but you’ll get it wrong, sadly have endured some things that have forced the learning of these things about people/self that you may mock. All good, I’m starting to get the picture of where you slot into all this and why we will never see eye to eye. All the best, keep that mind open best you can.✌️