Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-12-2018, 07:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
iam sure those conduits can be cover up nicely , i saw a video back with the 3d concrete printer they were putting up house in 24 hours , if that technology comes on its will put lot of people out of work( as we start to see in manufacturing and service industry like amazon and walmart is using automation to replace warehouse worker ) and drastically lower the cost of labour , would not be surprise to see it commercialized 10-15 year down the road, can't controller material cost but they can definitely control labour cost and efficiency .
A lot changes in 15 years. I can gaurantee it is more cost effective to stick frame your house than concrete 3D print it right now.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
If you can swing it, build it yourself. I built my own house 2800 ft for under $40/sq ft. That was in 2001 when lumber prices were a hell of a lot higher than now, other than particle board which is at a real high, not sure the reason for that other than greed.
Paying someone $6000 to shingle a house in a day or $6000 to side a house in 2 days or $14,000 to mud and tape 2 floors in 3 days is insane.
Take the time, learn a few trades and do it yourself like I did. Start to finish it took me 7 months and I saved I would guess $250,000.00 - $350,000.00. Then a couple years later I built my shop, 40x50x12 and saved another $100,000.00. I had guys begging me to build shops for them here.
When I built my house, I was also running my main business, and was running the arena. I would get up at 5am, go work on the house until 4pm, run the arena until midnight and get a few hours sleep. Repeat until the house was done and saved how many thousand per day?
My only costs were feeding friends and family that helped, $2000 for blow-in insulation and $500 to get a guy to tape and mud the basement in 2 days. It's real good to know 'a guy'. I had friends that knew how to survey the footings, neighbor dug the basement with a payloader for $500. I had a floorlayer do the lino and carpet for $500 as well. As much as they want you to think all of this is rocket science, it is not.
I took out a homeowners permit for the gas, electric, heat. Minimal cost. Nelson lumber did the Blueprints.
Like I said, if possible at all look into it. It is wonderful having intimate knowledge of every single nail screw socket window door corner and flooring that you put in yourself, PLUS you know it is going to be square!!!
Hey Ken
My daughter and her husband are in the middle of building a cabin. It has been 4 months and we are ready for drywall. Only things done by contractors so far have been digging the hole, lifting of rafters and 24 ft wall, electrical service and natural gas fitting. Everything else has been done by us and there have been few minor deficiencies in the framing and electrical inspections. Seeing how they are connecting to a holding tank we were able to do the plumbing as well. 1300 feet, two stories with vaulted ceilings in half of it. Hoping to complete the build for $100,000 not including the land. Codes have really changed in the last few years so it been a big learning curve as well. Had never built using lvls and full length ibeams, so a few things to learn there also.
So I agree with you, lots of savings possible if you the work yourself. And like you mentioned, you have to be dedicated.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benamen View Post
Hey Ken
My daughter and her husband are in the middle of building a cabin. It has been 4 months and we are ready for drywall. Only things done by contractors so far have been digging the hole, lifting of rafters and 24 ft wall, electrical service and natural gas fitting. Everything else has been done by us and there have been few minor deficiencies in the framing and electrical inspections. Seeing how they are connecting to a holding tank we were able to do the plumbing as well. 1300 feet, two stories with vaulted ceilings in half of it. Hoping to complete the build for $100,000 not including the land. Codes have really changed in the last few years so it been a big learning curve as well. Had never built using lvls and full length ibeams, so a few things to learn there also.
So I agree with you, lots of savings possible if you the work yourself. And like you mentioned, you have to be dedicated.

Very cool Ben! Put up some pics when done

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-14-2018, 10:51 AM

Just two additional points for build as much home yourself. You need to earn around $1300 to have $1000 to pay contractor. Thus major additonal savings. The second point is when you sell the $400,000 home that cost you $200,000 to build you get to put the $200,000 in "tax free cash" into your pocket. Only farmers get tax breaks anywhere near this.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Very cool Ben! Put up some pics when done
A picture in the middle of framing