Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Default Best scabbard and way to carry it

Lookin for input on what you folks with scabbards think is the best and also the best way to carry it on a horse

Lever action and bolt

Thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2018, 11:53 AM

Carry it on the off side scope down, buttstock forward. Properly designed scabbard does not put pressure on the scope.
Your local saddle maker should have a pattern
If you ask a dozen guys you will end up with a dozen answers. Carry it a few different ways and you'll find what works for you
Old 01-15-2018, 01:48 PM

Default cant recall where I got the pattern

made my own and as bob said scope down and it served me well on 3-4 NWT hunts. Leupold scope never required any adjustments in 4 trips. Hasnt been used since 2003 but pretty sure it is still around here.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:45 PM

I have a couple but the one i use mostly was made by Welsh's Saddlery in Edmonton. Full protection with lots of scope room. Never had any issues in spite of a few rodeos on the trail.
Personally I carry mine lower and parallel to the horse with the barrel forward. Maybe isn't the most popular but it suits my horse and me well.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM

Carried for years under the stirrup leather parallel to the body of the horse. As my hips got older and my horses fatter this became quickly uncomfortable. I now carry upright beside the front leg.

I have all leather scabbards as well as the heavy molded nylon. Each has benefits and drawbacks.

Try several ways until you find one that suits your style. For other ideas, look at old pictures and see how it used to be done.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:29 PM

Get one made for your rifle. I hang mine down off the saddle horn in front of my right leg. Put the scope back towards your leg. This allows me to pull the rifle out while seated in the saddle if I need. I tie the bottom strap to the breast collar. I’ve tried under the leg thing but found it uncomfortable. Try different ways and go what works best for you.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
Carry it on the off side scope down, buttstock forward. Properly designed scabbard does not put pressure on the scope.
If you ask a dozen guys you will end up with a dozen answers. Carry it a few different ways and you'll find what works for you
This works for me also.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
Get one made for your rifle. I hang mine down off the saddle horn in front of my right leg. Put the scope back towards your leg. This allows me to pull the rifle out while seated in the saddle if I need. I tie the bottom strap to the breast collar. I’ve tried under the leg thing but found it uncomfortable. Try different ways and go what works best for you.
X2, I would get one custom made for the rifle you want to carry. Then see which position fits you, your tack and the horse best.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:42 AM

Smile

[QUOTE=LKILR;3709985]Get one made for your rifle. I hang mine down off the saddle horn in front of my right leg. Put the scope back towards your leg. This allows me to pull the rifle out while seated in the saddle if I need. I tie the bottom strap to the breast collar. I’ve tried under the leg thing but found it uncomfortable. Try different ways and go what works best for you.[/QUOT

Do you shoot from the saddle? They say you can shoot off of any horse.....once.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:55 AM

I usually carry mine on the offside as well with the scope down and the butt forward and very high and of course under the stirrup leather below the knee. With the butt high I can make sure it doesn't get hooked on any willows or branches that could cause problems. I also have a small cover to slip over the rifle butt as most of the scabbards don't cover this area of the gun, this keeps all the snow and debre out of your scabbard. I've seen rifles frozen into scabbards so bad they needed to be taken into the tent to thaw before they could be removed.

If I am carrying a chainsaw on my saddle as well I do the exact same thing just on the front side with the scope up. The only reason I don't do this everytime is you cannot put the scabbard on until your cinched up, so the off side becomes more convenient since the scabbard can stay on the saddle when saddling and unsaddling.

Always remember to remove your rifle as soon as you get your horse tied up, even if only stopping to cut a windfall. Many of scabbard strings and rifles have been broke from keeping your rifle on a tied horse.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:22 AM

I also carry mine on the offside butt High I’m a big fan of the Trailmax synthetic scabbards they have an oversized one that works well with large rifles and large objective lenses I originally got one to fit my Blaser works like a charm
Cheers Tony
Old 01-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I do the same but on the on side as I’m left handed.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-16-2018, 12:22 PM

What works best, a lined leather scabbard or a unlined leather scabbard?
It seems that a lined rifle scabbard would provide better protection for a rifle but I have seen both lined and unlined leather scabbards. Would moisture in the scabbard be a issue if the leather scabbard is lined?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:36 PM

I use a Trailmax as well. Lots of protection for larger scoped guns. On the off side with scope down and butt forward. I put it more forward in front of my knee so it's not under my leg at all. I hate riding with a scabbard under my leg.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=Jack Hardin;3710231]
Quote:
Get one made for your rifle. I hang mine down off the saddle horn in front of my right leg. Put the scope back towards your leg. This allows me to pull the rifle out while seated in the saddle if I need. I tie the bottom strap to the breast collar. I’ve tried under the leg thing but found it uncomfortable. Try different ways and go what works best for you.[/QUOT

Lol. I haven’t yet... but I would on my horse Rudy. He’s not shy of gunfire at all. Or anything for that matter.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
It seems that a lined rifle scabbard would provide better protection for a rifle but I have seen both lined and unlined leather scabbards. Would moisture in the scabbard be a issue if the leather scabbard is lined?
I'd go unlined, moisture and will keep it less bulky for under your leg. I find if its not under my leg and your horse does anything faster than a walk your gun will be bouncing and flying all over the place, my experience, not meaning it won't work for you.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athabasca1 View Post
A lined scabbard would take a long time to dry out.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=Jack Hardin;3710231]
Quote:
Get one made for your rifle. I hang mine down off the saddle horn in front of my right leg. Put the scope back towards your leg. This allows me to pull the rifle out while seated in the saddle if I need. I tie the bottom strap to the breast collar. I’ve tried under the leg thing but found it uncomfortable. Try different ways and go what works best for you.[/QUOT

Makes me wonder how the Calvary did it in the Indian Wars.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM

The only problem with carrying with butt forward and high is getting a tree between it and the horse. Will make a rodeo go from bad to worse. Been more than one stock busted like that. Seen it happen minus the busted stock. I used to carry like that, but have since switched. Right handed action, right side, butt back, bolt to the outside
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 PM

Rode hundreds of miles on horseback. Always with a good quality scabbard, rife but stock to the rear. Carrying your rifle this way does put a little more weight rearward on your horse. Compensate and balance the weight
with some weight on the off side. Your axe, spotting scope or just a saddle bag with your lunch or whatever. Advantage, you do not have to worry about your rifle catching oncoming bush and it is a position to get a hold of quickly when you need it. Everyone to their own. This works for me.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:03 AM

Just as someone has mentioned, Welsh in Edmonton make good quality leather scabbard. I use mine on snowmobile as well for fast draw for wolf on trapline.