Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 PM

Well than at least 4 hit the ground today cause i got a lil 5point bull (200ish score) and the last truck off 15 mins late lol didnt get the final count for the day from the troops they wanted us outta there lol but will have to go back to retrieve it tomorrow good mile and half drag through the nwa (ill take any excuse to walk back in there )

Also anyone else noticing some deer and elk shedding already on the base? We ended up seeing 2 mule deer with 1 side sheded, a spiker elk with one side hanging off didnt look like much holding it on ( maybe broken weird it be at the base of skull tho) and came on top of a mule deer and could actually see the rings of his missing antlers seems 2 months to early for this

Last edited by Eat-my-rack; 01-17-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:20 AM

[QUOTE=E( maybe broken weird it be at the base of skull tho) and came on top of a mule [/QUOTE]

I was watching a bull in the NWA back in November that had its Antlers splayed out looked like it was broken but it was holding on fine probably banged it on a tumble weed in Velvet.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:51 PM

Default CFB Suffield Elk Hunt

I have a question. I am going to be my cousin's helper, who has the elk draw. His PAL may not get here in time for the next hunt, as there was a glitch. Can I bring my firearm in with my PAL, and just accompany him.
I would hope it would be similar to having a 16-year-old kid who has the draw but doesn't have a PAL, and the parent accompanying the kid on the hunt.
How does it work at check-in? What are your thoughts?
thanks
D
Old 01-18-2018, 10:00 PM

Yes, you can hope for that.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:10 PM

Does anyone know what this weeks total bull and cow killed on the base was? I’m heading out next week.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLT7 View Post
I have a question. I am going to be my cousin's helper, who has the elk draw. His PAL may not get here in time for the next hunt, as there was a glitch. Can I bring my firearm in with my PAL, and just accompany him.
I would hope it would be similar to having a 16-year-old kid who has the draw but doesn't have a PAL, and the parent accompanying the kid on the hunt.
thanks
D
I really don't know how it works on the base, but legally there is absolutely nothing wrong with doing just that. I would assume (and ass-u-me and whatnot) you should be fine.

P.S. Yet, if one gets caught shooting an animal that their buddy/family member/etc has a tag for, one can get in a lot of trouble.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krborde View Post
Does anyone know what this weeks total bull and cow killed on the base was? I’m heading out next week.
Not sure what the total was yesterday, Chinook rolled in, roads were greasy/soupy and trails all but impassable. Running total including Wednesday was 15/16 animals, mostly bulls. I was out every day, covered a lot of ground and did not see an elk.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:19 AM

Thank you lone wolf.

Did you hunt primarily in the main base or did some time in the NWA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
thanks
D
I know they checked to see my PAL Every day not sure about using your PAL for him to shoot worth a call to range Control.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Default CFB Suffield Elk hunt Jan 15-18

HI all,
I have just returned this morning and thought a Suffield Elk hunt report is in order.
My overall opinion is that this is a stellar hunt that is organized extremely well by our wonderful military community, They really do a great job and should be thanked for their efforts.
Even though I was not successful at harvesting a nice bull, I did have the chance. Albeit, not an ideal opportunity.
-Three big bulls at 500 yards running into the Out of Bounds. If I had taken the shot the bull would have easily made it the 50 yards in to the OUB and at 5:00pm at -35c I made a call that surely I will think about for years kicking myself. Shoulda ,coulda ,woulda. My hunting partner will never let me live this down.
If you have been to Camp Wainwright on those hunts and you think that Suffield is the same, you will be shocked to see that the hunts do not in any way resemble each other. Suffield is a beast with astoundingly beautiful geography with so much stellar habitat.
My hunting partner and I saw a small elk herd on Monday(150)(-40c) and the numbers of elk dwindled to non existent yesterday(+9c) If you are planning your next hunt with the mindset that the staggering herds will be present and that you will fill your tag you should not come. Incredibly small numbers of elk are present the daily success was as follows:
Mon:6
Tuesday:4
Wednesday:3
Thursday:? I left at 2:00 pm and no registered heads at that point.

Expect the following:
-Daily morning briefings that guarantee you miss the best of the morning hunt. This is not worth discussing or whining about. The briefings are mandatory and are one of the conditions of being allowed access to the facility. The Base commander is explicitly concerned with his personnel's safety and yours. Dont be late. 6:00 am start. Lots of paperwork and lots of waiting in lines. Bring doughnuts and coffees for the Military lads, they will appreciate it.

-Expect to have your truck tossed. We did not have ours searched but we witnessed others get the treatment. I had to do a kit inspection on my tailgate, which certainly brought me back to my days in BMQ. If you get drawn for the NWA as we did each day, you have to prove that you have the survival items.

-No speeding! you will get caught, you will get kicked off and you will get banned for life. Range patrol are everywhere and are zealous in their authority.

-No solo hunting in the NWA.

- No cross country driving. You will get caught and banned.

-No alcohol. not a drop. you will get caught, and you will get banned for life.

-No photos! they will search your phone and if they see photos of the base, you will be banned for life. You do sign a waiver giving them full rights to search your personal possessions.

-No drugs. seriously, I cant imagine that this has to be stated, but if you are a hippy hunter this is not where you get to exercise your 4/20.

-The roads are literally hundreds of times better than they portray. I was expecting Wainwright road conditions and was shocked to see roads that are better than most rural Alberta roads. A fellow was hunting in his VW SUV. he did just fine. Bring shovels in case some of the small snow drifts that crest the road high center you though. Very rare, but did see that in a few places.

If you like looking at antelope, you will be in heaven. we counted easily 500+ per day . Some absolute gagger trophy bucks.
Mule deer are everywhere and I only saw a few good trophies.

Hunt the NWA if you can. put in your draw and if you get drawn and make some miles. Sadly, no photos are allowed, but the scenery is memorable.
the south east side was the only good opportunities for us this week.

Bring your Binos and look at elk at +3500 yards. This will get you into trouble quick. Most of my scenarios could have got me into shooting well beyond my capability. You will see elk and spend lots of some just driving to them. the land is quite the expanse.

The base commander gives a really amazing speech. One you will not forget soon. Take it in stride and do not let it ruin your experience.
remember: You are a guest on a secured military base. The personnel are helpful ,accommodating and great people but they do not work for you on this hunt. The Base commander is only concerned about safety, and not your hunt in any way. He doesn't agree with hunting or civilians accessing his base.

Sadly it looks like this hunt will be cancelled based on the feedback form the AEP. Maybe one more season. Get in just for the hunting experience if you are waffling on whether to go. I found it to be extremely rewarding. The Base commander indicated he wished he could have cancelled it entirely this year so my priority was put to good use.

The CANEX has a Timmies in Ralston. Stop in and load up. I didn't learn of that until day three.....

Hunting is an amazing privilege and hunting at Suffield falls into a wonderful opportunity.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 AM

with such small numbers of elk being taken this year, the effort to cull those far outweigh the results.

first i heard of cancelling the hunt, which would be another lost opportunity for hunters if they did. my feeling is that is was just starting to get normalised as a great hunting opportunity and would only get better in the future.

a shame if it gets cancelled.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:02 AM

The old base commander wanted this hunt. He was concerned about the elk and the possibility of a accident that would be a PR nightmare.
The new base commander hates the hunt, looks at it as a waste of time and personal, as well as he does not agree with hunting in general.
This does not bode well with the possibility of the hunt continuing in the future.
Low numbers so not worth it.
From my understanding he is lobbing for the end of the hunt.
ANd he does have alot of pull to make it stop, and we are guests on the base, and certainly have zero rights once there.
I think the hunt should continue or better yet relocate the elk into the foothills.
But time will tell what is going to happen.
I have been there before and it is a very unique experience. And like others have stated it is totally different than anything else.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:30 AM

You and your cousin will be ok i had a issue with my pal but had my dad accompany me with his there is a waver form they give you the first morning where you will put that info on there and i was fine no issues got my elk
Quote:
thanks
D
Old 01-19-2018, 11:51 AM

Also i left base 7 last night they told me this was an extremely slow week but for those attending next hunt we had found 20 elk sheds and a ton of sign in the nwa straight east where mule deer road curves at the south its a good mile walk in and a hell of a drag out depending how far you go ( used sleds on melting snow and sucked i recommend wheels now that snows gone) we saw only about ten elk but herd lots of other shots in the area yesterday just a little more south of where we were at

also thanks to the butt hole calling in noises of driving in that area without seeing a truck got us held up 45 mins last night when what I'm pretty sure you herd was us dragging my elk on sleds but was not fun being accused of it at exit point after spending all day dragging my elk out 2 miles
Old 01-19-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeelmer View Post
The old base commander wanted this hunt. He was concerned about the elk and the possibility of a accident that would be a PR nightmare.
The new base commander hates the hunt, looks at it as a waste of time and personal, as well as he does not agree with hunting in general.
This does not bode well with the possibility of the hunt continuing in the future.
Low numbers so not worth it.
From my understanding he is lobbing for the end of the hunt.
ANd he does have alot of pull to make it stop, and we are guests on the base, and certainly have zero rights once there.
I think the hunt should continue or better yet relocate the elk into the foothills.
But time will tell what is going to happen.
I have been there before and it is a very unique experience. And like others have stated it is totally different than anything else.
While yes he has a lot of influence quite frankly could cancel it with a stroke of a pen. They typically only hold these positions for 2years rarely three so depending on when he took over he could be gone soon. Key is to not give them a blatant reason to cancel ie safety violations wait him out and hope for better the next time around.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
While yes he has a lot of influence quite frankly could cancel it with a stroke of a pen. They typically only hold these positions for 2years rarely three so depending on when he took over he could be gone soon. Key is to not give them a blatant reason to cancel ie safety violations wait him out and hope for better the next time around.
This base commander took over this past summer, so he is in the chair for one more hunting season.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:30 AM

Default Canadian?

Is the base commander Canadian or Brit?
And all this talk about being guests is nauseating. This is your land, paid for by your dollars, plenty of bases have hunting.
Every base commander answers to someone, so the lecture of his dislike of the hunt seems out of place, inappropriate and Whiney. Clerical staff...
Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
And all this talk about being guests is nauseating. This is your land, paid for by your dollars, plenty of bases have hunting.
Every base commander answers to someone, so the lecture of his dislike of the hunt seems out of place, inappropriate and Whiney. Clerical staff...
He is from Regina SK
Old 01-21-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
LtlCol Miike Onieu according to what I googled, CAF.
The base commander has some jurisdiction over who comes and goes on the base for sure, but II don't think he has Carte Blanche to do that.
I know that there has been certain groups lobbying for a deer and goose hunt at Connaught for years, and it has been met with opposition even though several of the base commanders in charge were in favour of it.
That place is a nightmare when it comes too managing their wildlife.
Cat
Old 01-21-2018, 06:26 PM

Default Shouldn't be a problem

Quote:
thanks
D
My dad does not have a PAL but I do. As long as he is hunting beside me he is perfectly legal. When we checked in at Suffield last year, I just showed mine and he was good to go. He got a big old 6 point bull in the NWA. We hiked to high ground and spotted him bedded in a coulee.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:44 AM

Interesting read about the sheds .
I got drawn for the last season for a bull elk.
So what do I get to shot if all the bulls have dropped their horns ?
Are they allowing hunters to pick up sheds?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Interesting read about the sheds .
I got drawn for the last season for a bull elk.
So what do I get to shot if all the bulls have dropped their horns ?
Are they allowing hunters to pick up sheds?
The picking up and removal of sheds is expressly forbidden ......... and a big no, no. Not sure how it would play out if you could somehow prove it was from your specific animal.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
The picking up and removal of sheds is expressly forbidden ......... and a big no, no. Not sure how it would play out if you could somehow prove it was from your specific animal.
Pretty early for elk sheds imo.
Still packing here and its usually late March before they are dropping.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
Scru-nailer and Putty Stix.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:02 PM
Banned

My buddy got his bull yesterday morning after deciding to hike a mile or two in the section you can't drive. He said no one bothered them while they stalked a large herd.

He's pretty stoked. He booked a few days off to fill his tag but didn't need more then a few hours.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM

Any of you guys seeing much for cows on the hunt?
Old 01-23-2018, 06:10 PM

South nwa was open for lottery walk in this week. First time this hunting season. Quite a few cows are in there. My friend taged out within an hour of hunting. Still lots of elk out there, you just have to hunt for them now.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Any of you guys seeing much for cows on the hunt?
my buddy was on a massive herd when he got his bull. Said there were hundreds
Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 PM

Default Going Again

I'm going as a Sherpa with some friends for the week of Feb 5. Looking forward to it. We were their in November and had a good time.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:49 AM

My son got a 6x6 bull (240ish) in the North NWA on Monday, was out of a big herd with 4-500 hundred of cows. Lots of hunters were on them and there was a dozen or so spikes in the bunch. Very well organized at the briefing.