Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-10-2010, 02:24 AM

Default foiles busted

Looks like another big time celebrity got greedy

http://www.sj-r.com/breaking/x192199...owl-violations
Old 12-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Banned

Default Foiles

Should be interesting to see how this plays out. Confiscating the gear won't matter as it is all sponsor supplied. He's a pretty popular "redneck roadshow" in the US, so I wonder how much this will actually hurt him. Maybe some sponsors will pull out? If he can't hunt in Illinois or Canada after this, well then he's pretty much hooped after that. Will be something to watch I guess...does this mean I have to throw away my new Foiles hat I bought in South Dakota this fall???LOL Pretty sure a lot of guys could get nailed like this, SOME outfitters etc, but the amount of time and money it would take I can't see it happening, could likely be made an example of for sure. Good lesson to keep the BS off the videos like shooting a falling bird 3-4 more times, the "Killem" phrase, and the list goes on I guess. If yer gonna do some of that stuff, don't put it on a video. If anyone hears more, please post, thanks.

Last edited by lilsundance; 12-11-2010 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 06:54 AM

Default Glad he got caught

I have the video mentioned in the story and it is a real kill fest. I actually didn't like it as much as some other waterfowl videos I've seen, as it is really focused on just the killing and not the hunting experience. I thought the "kill'em!" thing was a bit over the top as well. If this is all true, I hope he loses a ton of business and his sponsors all pull out on him.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Canada after this, well then he's pretty much hooped after that. Will be something to watch I guess...does this mean I have to throw away my new Foiles hat I bought in South Dakota this fall???
I wouldn't be caught dead wearing a Foiles hat after this if he's convicted- and if undercover officers were involved, he is likely toast.
I won't have anything to do with those two pieces of work Knight and Hale as well, not those two idjits Italo and Henry!

if he's guilty I hope he does time and is not allowed to operate inside Canada.
Cat

Last edited by lilsundance; 12-11-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: language in quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:52 AM

I agree with you Cat; hope he never comes across the boarder again. Well maybe only to go to court. My buddy has his videos and told me that you can see him loading 4 shells into his shotguns as well.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Maybe some sponsors will pull out?
I can't see any sponsors NOT pulling out. I don't think anyone wants their name associated with someone like that. Well.........maybe Henry's Bail Bondsman Inc. Anyway, it looks good on him!
Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I can't see any sponsors NOT pulling out. I don't think anyone wants their name associated with someone like that. Well.........maybe Henry's Bail Bondsman Inc. Anyway, it looks good on him!
Many have already pulled out, and more are on the way!
From what I am to understand, his outfit has been for sale for a while.....
Cat
Old 12-10-2010, 11:34 AM

there is a reason he cant hunt in alberta or sask anymore........it all stems from a series of incidents in the last 5 years or so.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:43 AM
sheephunter

When the Feds pull out the Lacey Act, they are serious.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM

Default Foiles

This just adds up to a few more birds for those hunting in Central Alberta with him out a here....Had more than one run in with his trailer couple of years back not to mention the his fence line shooting incident.... That was fun

HT
Old 12-10-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair trigger View Post
This just adds up to a few more birds for those hunting in Central Alberta with him out a here....Had more than one run in with his trailer couple of years back not to mention the his fence line shooting incident.... That was fun

HT
can you elaborate?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Now if he could turn in all the other outfitters who shoot to many as a plea bargain we might get some where.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:20 PM

Or the freelancers that come up for a week and shoot several limits of ducks that they kindly donate to Alberta "orphanages"

Marshall McLuhan
Old 12-10-2010, 03:28 PM

Paragraph 24 of the Indictment:

In or about the Fall of 2005, FOILES . . . drove to a city park in Loveland, Colorado, after learning that numerous Canada geese with leg bands and neck collars were at the park. FOILES used bread to entice banded geese near his vehicle, shot the geese with a pellet gun, retrieved the geese, and removed their leg bands and neck collars. FOILES called this method of collecting goose bands "parking," and subsequently used the collected leg bands to decorate his duck and goose call lanyard, which he wore prominently on his commercial hunting videos to advertise his skill and experience as a migratory waterfowl hunter.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post

In or about the Fall of 2005, FOILES . . . drove to a city park in Loveland, Colorado, after learning that numerous Canada geese with leg bands and neck collars were at the park. FOILES used bread to entice banded geese near his vehicle, shot the geese with a pellet gun, retrieved the geese, and removed their leg bands and neck collars. FOILES called this method of collecting goose bands "parking," and subsequently used the collected leg bands to decorate his duck and goose call lanyard, which he wore prominently on his commercial hunting videos to advertise his skill and experience as a migratory waterfowl hunter.
I guess WTJ isn't the only one......jk bud
Old 12-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Quote:

Do you have a link for the rest of it?
Old 12-10-2010, 06:28 PM

If convicted, he could lose everything! Jail time could very well be a reality. I would sum up Jeff Foiles's situation at the current moment as "Falling Skies" and as "Strait Meat"...................
Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM

a human peice of garbage...

I hope it gets time for it...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arn?Narn. View Post
a human peice of garbage...

I hope it gets time for it...
Completely agree. Super douche. But then all the "black hoodie kill 'em for TV" gang are. Turning waterfowling into a body count/band collection activity. No respect for the game.

I watched a Jeff Foiles vid where they shot in Argentina. Over 100 kill shots but they never took the time to tell me what they shot. The species and Argentina are so different from ours but they couldn't even take 10 seconds to tell me what they were. It was all about the kill. Watching his vid made me want to hunt ducks LESS! And I am a born and dyed in the wool duck hunter.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 12-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Banned

Great stuff, and I agree with the earlier comment that when someone is charged under the Lacey Act, that's serious.

Question I have is why do we still have an Alberta outfitter who did time due to the Lacy Act, who also has been charged and convicted many times in Alberta, still have a license from APOS?

Yeah, I know that he has lawyers, but APOS should grow some testicular fortitude and not allow our homegrown criminals (and he is a criminal, as he has been convicted) a license to outfit here.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 AM

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/media/Indictment.pdf
Old 12-11-2010, 11:37 AM

spudislander;761292 --- thanks for the link. Quite the read. I certainly hope all those "nails" listed at the end stick in his hide.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
When the Feds pull out the Lacey Act, they are serious.

X2
I Know two guys who killed a cougar on an Indian rez and then took it to a taxidermist.
The shooter had no tag so used his buddies tag. Because it was killed on the rez and the rez is classed as a separate nation the Lacey act applied.
They each paid 10,000 in fines.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 12-11-2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
Completely agree. Super douche. But then all the "black hoodie kill 'em for TV" gang are. Turning waterfowling into a body count/band collection activity. No respect for the game.

I watched a Jeff Foiles vid where they shot in Argentina. Over 100 kill shots but they never took the time to tell me what they shot. The species and Argentina are so different from ours but they couldn't even take 10 seconds to tell me what they were. It was all about the kill. Watching his vid made me want to hunt ducks LESS! And I am a born and dyed in the wool duck hunter.
I almost stopped watching videos all together. It seemed like "Hunting Videos"
had been replaced by "Killing Videos". The respect for the animals and obviously repect for themselves, was non existent.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:

What a puke!

For what it's worth I'm going to send an e-mail off to his sponsors.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM

Angry Foiles...

I live for goose hunting, and we all need to represent what we do in a good light.

I was watching one of these videos a couple years back and he held up this wounded honker in front of the camera and said "You're gonna die Mr. Honker!" as the bird was bleeding out of his mouth. It was awful footage and definitely something that shouldn't have been put on a video. Bad enough to not just finish off the bird instantly, but then to put something disgusting like that out in public is just too much. I was so offended that I almost (and should have) contacted RealTree. I can't believe that they would allow that to go out with their name on it.

And as for the killing sprees, I've never counted, but if you ever look at the number of blinds in the spread and count how many birds they kill, they've got a pile of guys sitting in the truck with extra licenses for sure.

Brutal! Just terrible representation of what I know MOST of us stand for out there.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:37 PM

I think as a hunter I see something disgusting almost every day on wildTV. Even a show this morning where some redneck stated he was going to pop the next doe he saw cause "it is fun to kill stuff and he likes a full freezer".
if long term hunters can be offended by this blood lust imagine what it is doing for our image with those who don't hunt.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:52 PM

Foiles, he is the ultimate Bonehead for sure, but his 'situation', if we will, should remind us how fortunate we are to have the opportunity to hunt and harvest wildlife such as migratory birds. What J. Foiles has supposedly done is flat out wrong, and paints all hunters with the same brush, and that should not be!

For myself, it is all about the hunt itself; setting up decoys, watching the sunrise, seeing your breath in the cool morning air, the faint, distant honking of big geese, or the squealing of specks, and then the hope that they will come! This is what we need to teach the newer generation, the experience and not the greedy pleasure of 'whack 'em stack 'em' mentality. Guys like Foiles teaches us what NOT to do.

And hey, nothing wrong with legally getting your limit of ducks and/or geese, but appreciate the privilege and RESPECT the game. Shooting geese in a park with a pellet gun to acquire bands to then place on your lanyard to make yourself look like the ultimate waterfowler.........should really say it all, if it is indeed true.

Really neat to watch a 'first timer' be it a kid or adult that hs never watched birds decoy to a well placed spread and some duck/goose notes from a call..........then to end the day with laughter and food/drink. Never lose sight of that.
Later
Old 12-16-2010, 04:45 PM

I don't own any of his videos but he'll be back. He'll make his public apology, donate a few hunts for a good cause (sick kids or injured war veteran), give some money to a conservation association and then he'll be back again.

Some people have short memories. How many people remember that Italo Labignon and Henry Waschuk got into some trouble with the law while filming their fishing show? Aren't both those guys on tv again?

If you want to find illegal activity, look for the money. Some sponsors will pull out for a while but if it looks like Foiles is back to making money again, they'll be back.

(Gee, I'm not usually this cynical at this time of year.)
Old 12-16-2010, 04:47 PM

Default Italo and Henry

Angling show hosts fined for snagging fish to fake their catch

The Toronto Star reports two television fishing stars have been fined after pleading guilty to snagging fish in the Trent River.
Henry Waszczuk and Italo Labignan, hosts of Canadian Sportfishing; broadcast weekly on TSN, were fined a total of $1,800 and will be meeting with network executives about the consequences of the convictions.

The 13-year television fishing experts were each ordered to pay $800 on one count of using a hook to snag whitefish in body parts other than the mouth.

Waszczuk, 47, and Labignan, 41, snagged as many as 30 fish Nov. 6, 1995, hooking them in the body so they could re-hook them in the mouth and film their retrieval, court heard. Labignan also pleaded guilty to another charge of failing to release a lake trout and was fined an additional $200.

Rick Brace, president of TSN, admitted the fines could hurt the integrity of fishing shows.
Crown Attorney George Archer dropped five remaining charges against them.

Another TV fishing host, Karen Monaghan, 37, of The Natural Angler (which used to air on WTN) was found guilty of snagging whitefish, then re-hooking them for camera purposes. She was also fined $800.

Waszczuk, a former CFL center for the Hamilton Tiger Cats, faces two more court appearances in Burlington and in Peterborough on charges of fishing in a sanctuary and taking bass during a closed season.