Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 PM

Default Garmin Pro 550 Plus

Anyone have any experience running the Pro 550 plus in Canada? I have read that they do not sell it in Canada due to frequency used but I am wondering if one was to go to the states and buy the unit....would it still work in Canada?

Really like the simplicity of the unit with the track/train ability.

Thanks!
Old 08-26-2019, 05:49 PM

I had heard that the software in the newer units would automatically deactivate the collar if the GPS detects that it is in Canada, and this seems to confirm that.

https://www.gundogsupply.com/astro-a...anada-use.html

Quote:
The radio function that allows the dog collars to communicate with the handheld will be deactivated when used outside of the US
The handheld will still function as a GPS outside the US but without any dog tracking/training capability
Old 08-26-2019, 08:23 PM

Garmin 550 plus runs on MURS frequency hence why not available in Canada yet Amazon.com will ship it here, sure it would work but not legal.

The Garmin Astro 900 and T 9 Dog Device would an alternative as this uses 900 MHz FHSS, approved for operation in Canada and the U.S.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Garmin 550 plus runs on MURS frequency hence why not available in Canada yet Amazon.com will ship it here
Some units which run on MURS frequencies are available on amazon.ca and through Canadian retailers, which makes it even more perplexing.
What is really needed is for Industry Canada to open the MURS frequencies. They were going to do it 5 years ago, but were convinced that it wasn't necessary. They aren't likely to do it for the hunting community, I don't imagine.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor