Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-21-2019, 06:33 AM

Default Best tripod for spotting scope?

I'm looking to get a new tripod for my spotting scope (80mm). Anyone have one they recommend? Thinking of the vortex high country, although I'm wondering if it would be too lightweight. Also, has anyone had any luck with some of the cheapo tripods on amazon? Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 AM

I run the vortex summit ss on my 80mm swaro it seems to work well and they don’t break the bank. I got it as a cheap one so I could save up for a better tripod but it worked well enough that I never replace it.
Old 08-21-2019, 08:09 AM

Have a look at the outdoorsmans. I've had mine for 4 years and love it. I used the cheapo ones for a few years and bought a new one every year as they fall apart and can't handle the 85mm objective.

The outdoorsmans Compact or compact medium with the pan head is the best i've seen.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:53 PM

I've heard great things about the outdoorsmans as well.

I run the high country with my Vortex Viper 20-60x80mm and I wouldn't want to put a scope any heavier on there. Having said that it works just fine and it's a pretty lightweight tripod.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 08-21-2019, 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info so far guys. Sounds like vortex has some pretty solid tripods that don't break the bank. I'm also running the vortex 20-60x80mm so good to know the high country is doable. Any thoughts on the swivel ball head VS pan/tilt? Any complaints with the high country?