Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM

Default What a Bloody Nightmare!!

Been waiting for some time to get my trophies back from Africa. This is the week. Supposed to be the week.
I have received an email from the broker that the original paperwork for the shipment has been misplaced. CFIA will not proceed with releasing the trophies without the originals. Meanwhile, they are sitting in good ol' YYC racking up storage fees, and I'm out a ton of cash and time if this continues to go south
Anybody else have this issue, and any suggestions to getting things happening? Even the broker is a bit stumped as they have never had this happen before. Lucky me
Old 07-19-2019, 02:27 PM

Could be sabotage. You didn’t kill a lion did you ?
Old 07-19-2019, 02:45 PM

Default trophy nightmare

No, no lion, but the thought of sabotage has definitely crossed my mind.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
No, no lion, but the thought of sabotage has definitely crossed my mind.
The way the antis are coming down hard on hunters as of late I’m surprised it doesn’t happen. I sure hope this works out for you.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Call Talon Distributors in Edmonton.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:04 PM

Default Sometimes it’s just not your day.

Yup happened to me one single line was filled out wrong in the paperwork supposedly and they would not tell me what it was, a bit of a scam if you ask me.
Cost me 650 more in storage fees because customs arrogance.

Your pretty much at the mercy of the customs agency because they are untouchable.
All I could do is harass the broker so intern they harassed the shipper and customs.

At least it wasn’t as bad as my brothers experience from Argentina as his horns and capes took three years and a lot of constant calling and harassing even confronting the outfitter at thier Sportsmans show booth.
By the time they got them there were missing boar teeth, broken stag tips and some of the capes were not in that good of shape.
Once you get your critters and hang them on the wall you’ll forget all about the runaround you got from customs.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Call Talon Distributors in Edmonton.
X2
Old 07-19-2019, 08:33 PM
Banned

Ah the joys of hunting out of country!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Ah the joys of hunting out of country!

For that exact reason, no thanks!!
Old 07-20-2019, 12:38 AM

Call Turdo and tell him his customs agents are out of line.
Better yet,call your Conservative MP
Old 07-20-2019, 05:26 AM

Default nightmare

The call to my MP is definitely on the list. I just wanted to see if this was a common occurence, and how others have handled it. Who are Talon Distributors and what do they do for you?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Banned

Talon distribution is a wildlife broker for importing and exporting trophies
Old 07-20-2019, 01:44 PM
Banned

Talon for sure
Old 07-23-2019, 07:55 AM

Default Hope?

Received an email from the shipper out of Africa. They assured me that they are going after the airline, and if the documents are not recovered by end of the week, they will get them to draft a letter regarding the loss, and have new documents issued on their end.
Everyone claims that this is new and unheard of; this just never happens!
Lucky me to be the game-changer!
Even contacted my PH in Namibia, and he went after the shipper too, cause he uses these guys regularly.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:02 PM

Default Nightmare

I have had so many wars with customs on African trophies that it just about drives me nuts.

Examples:

We have seized your leopard because it is endangered so we are going to destroy it. (it has been mounted in my home since about 1980)

You can not bring an elephant into Canada. How could the agent in Calgary not know the laws regarding something so legendary … it was not a stupid toad or butterfly .. ?

You need a zoo permit to bring a dead swan into Canada? Why would I need that? It is dead and those are all of the necessary hunting and export permits.

We have seized your spotted hyena because some kind of hyena is endangered somewhere...

Come up to Calgary to clear your animals. So I go to Calgary and when I got there it was late in the day .. 1/2 an hour before closing. We are closed! No you are not .. I come all the way here to clear them .. No problem .. we will ship them all back to your city..

The only animal that I ever lost was a monitor lizard. They sent 4 agents to seize it from the taxidermist as the shippers had put down the wrong scientific name … I decided to spend the rest of my life without a monitor lizard in my home .. Too bad …
Old 07-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy View Post
I have had so many wars with customs on African trophies that it just about drives me nuts.

Examples:

We have seized your leopard because it is endangered so we are going to destroy it. (it has been mounted in my home since about 1980)

You can not bring an elephant into Canada. How could the agent in Calgary not know the laws regarding something so legendary … it was not a stupid toad or butterfly .. ?

You need a zoo permit to bring a dead swan into Canada? Why would I need that? It is dead and those are all of the necessary hunting and export permits.

We have seized your spotted hyena because some kind of hyena is endangered somewhere...

Come up to Calgary to clear your animals. So I go to Calgary and when I got there it was late in the day .. 1/2 an hour before closing. We are closed! No you are not .. I come all the way here to clear them .. No problem .. we will ship them all back to your city..

The only animal that I ever lost was a monitor lizard. They sent 4 agents to seize it from the taxidermist as the shippers had put down the wrong scientific name … I decided to spend the rest of my life without a monitor lizard in my home .. Too bad …
Lol
Old 08-25-2019, 09:22 AM

Default update/ Happy Ending!!!

It only took a month, but the new paperwork from Namibia was finally received and all the mounts released. They are currently sitting at my shop in the process of being unpacked!
Old 08-25-2019, 09:56 AM
Banned

Great that it finally worked out for you!
Old 08-25-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
It only took a month, but the new paperwork from Namibia was finally received and all the mounts released. They are currently sitting at my shop in the process of being unpacked!
Thank goodness! Must be a relief
Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Glad you got them.