Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Default Got my first deer ever yesterday

So after being skunked last year, I decided to up my game.

Went and got some trail cameras, did a bunch of scouting over the spring and summer, and got my spots dialed in.

I also was seeking someone more experienced to go out with me, and Sceptreguy answered my post in "Hunting Partners".

We went out on Nov. 10th and spent the entire day out in the mountains. Saw one young buck first thing after daylight, and sat at our spot until about 1pm until we gave up after zero activity. Saw a few does driving around after hiking back to the truck, but couldn't get any of them to stay in place and wait for us to shoot them

So after leaving empty handed we decided to head out again yesterday. We got to the spot about 45 minutes before legal light, and decided to hike out to our new spot that we figured would be good after our last trip. It was mostly uphill in the dark with no trails, and the snow was crunchy and loud. We treaded carefully and as slowly as possible, with as many breaks in between. Once we got to our spot we setup and waited for the light to come in a bit, then glassed and glassed for a bunch of hours. Saw nothing but a cow moose sitting in a bough field surrounded by spruce trees, and a few other hunting groups moving through the hills.

As we were having an early lunch in our spot, talking about hopefully getting drawn for some Suffield elk tags next year, we spotted two does walking about 200 yards across the valley, which is exactly where we thought they might funnel through.

There we no bucks following them, so we decided to go after them since we're both looking to fill the freezer.

We tracked them in to about 75 yards. Sight was set and pulled the trigger, and I got my first deer.

Needless to say, lots of mixed emotions there.... on one hand you're satisfied because you've worked so hard between all the gear research/purchasing, all of the hiking and scouting, early mornings, sore legs, marksmanship practice etc... Now we both have some meat and can say that we know where it came from and how it got there.

On the other hand you just ended something's life, and you can't escape from that.

I have another tag, but I don't think I'll fill it this year, not for any other reason than my freezer is full
Old 11-27-2017, 02:26 PM

Awesome ... you will only have 1 first deer .. and you will remember it forever .. good job
Old 11-27-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
Awesome ... you will only have 1 first deer .. and you will remember it forever .. good job
X2. Congrats. Well earned. Enjoy.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:11 PM

Thanks for sharing. Look forward to following in your footsteps in the next couple seasons.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Good for you!!, I have felt this way every time I kill something. I think it's good that you feel something when you end something's life, you appreciate and respect the animal and you put it to good use. You are not our for the thrill of killing. Everyone is guilty of pulling the trigger every time you get meat from a store or go out for fast food.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Needless to say, lots of mixed emotions there.... on one hand you're satisfied because you've worked so hard between all the gear research/purchasing, all of the hiking and scouting, early mornings, sore legs, marksmanship practice etc... Now we both have some meat and can say that we know where it came from and how it got there.

On the other hand you just ended something's life, and you can't escape from that.
This tells me all I need to hear. Congrats on your first deer, it will be something you'll remember a long time! Enjoy!!
Old 11-27-2017, 03:50 PM

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Just wanted to follow up my long post with a quick thank you to this entire community. I've learned a lot over the last few years about both shooting and hunting, and couldn't have done it without all of the wise (and not so-wise) advice from the more experienced folks in these parts.

I didn't grow up shooting nor hunting, so it was invaluable to have a place where one can turn to for information and to ask questions if needed.
Thanks again!

Also wouldn't have met my hunting partner this year, who showed me a bunch of stuff as he's much more experienced than I am. And it sure is different gutting and skinning an animal for the first time than watching some YouTube videos.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Banned

Right on.

Well done in putting in the footwork and then some in going out. That's hunting
Old 11-27-2017, 03:57 PM

Good job!!!! Better than my first. My wife asked if I shot a dog. She was only half joking. He was not difficult to heft into the trunk.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:27 PM

Congrats on your 1st deer!
Old 11-27-2017, 04:29 PM

Congrats on the first. Your doing it right if you feel the remorse after. What non hunter fail to realize is we honor that kill by always remembering the event as it unfolded and eating what we harvest. 30 + yrs later I remember my first WT harvest like yesterday. And I still feel the emotions of remorse when I harvest an animal.

Congrats again
Old 11-27-2017, 04:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yeah the reality sets in when the hunt is complete, something die's but you get to eat and respect the critter for that, some will never get that sorta empty yet complete feeling that only a hunter will, congrats.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-27-2017, 06:42 PM

You never forget your first
Old 11-27-2017, 06:49 PM

Good work!

Enjoy the eats. Pick up some good cook books and truly savour. I'm really enjoying that part of my active participation.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2017, 06:58 PM

Well done.
That will be a memory that lasts forever.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:59 PM

Congrats!
Old 11-27-2017, 07:37 PM

Good show. There is so much more to this adventure than just collecting meat. Glad to hear you found success and got to experience a bunch of other things along the way.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:11 PM

Congratulations on your first deer. There are definitely some strange emotions when you kill your first big game animal. It is very different than killing your first fish.

If you have never tried them, I recommend making jalapeño deer poppers. They're best made with the backstrap meat. Cut into cubes, cut up jalapeños and put a bit of cream cheese on them. Put together with meat, wrap em in bacon put on a skewer, or use a toothpick, and BBQ till bacon is crispy. Delicious!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2401.jpg (83.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-27-2017, 08:26 PM

Great story and congrats on your first deer.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:33 PM

Nice write up, and congrats!

Thomas Sowell