Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-25-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Disgusted

So yesterday I find a small dead whitetail laying in the ditch, looks like a doe from the size of it but after closer examination it has 6" spikes with some velvet still attached .Appears to be a doe with antlers to me , must have been roadkilled .....until I turn it over to determine gender and it has been field dressed !! So looks like some one figured they would be in trouble because of gender ( no doe tag) and they pitch it. Only way I can explain it..If they thought it was a buck they should know enough about the regs to know that they just tag it as antlered. Some one on here may very well know the story and if they do they should read the regs and know the rules .

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 06:23 PM

Last Saturday my hunting partner and I came across two doe carcasses, one dressed and skinned, one dressed and cut in half, left to rot just off the road.

No idea what possesses people to do this.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:36 PM

Sick , even if mess up not leave the meat to rot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-25-2017, 06:43 PM

What a waste of an animal.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:43 PM

Sad in both cases and no reason for a total waste.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:46 PM

Last weekend I found a does head in the ditch. This WMU is a mandatory head submission unit too. I'm not sure why someone would do that, but it's disrespectful to the animal and the property owner.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
So looks like some one figured they would be in trouble because of gender ( no doe tag) and they pitch it.
More probable that they had antlerless tags and did not know this was antlered until after they shot it.

What a waste
Old 11-25-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
More probable that they had antlerless tags and did not know this was antlered until after they shot it.

What a waste

In cases like that the supplemental tags are the issue. Shoot one just over the max length allowed, by mistake, and walk away from it.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
In cases like that the supplemental tags are the issue. Shoot one just over the max length allowed, by mistake, and walk away from it.

Shouldn't blame the tag system for poor wildlife identification from said person who shot.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
. If you shoot an animal that doesn't meet the requirements, it's 100% your fault. If you aren't sure, don't shoot, it's that simple
Old 11-25-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
. If you shoot an animal that doesn't meet the requirements, it's 100% your fault. If you aren't sure, don't shoot, it's that simple
Exactly .
Old 11-25-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Alberta

Alberta is a lawless province that really doesn't care much about wildlife. I am at 42 days of hunting, from Manning, to South of Medicine Hat and West to the Livingstone. I have seen exactly one Fish and Wildlife vehicle on the highway in that time. I personally have not been stopped and checked in 4 years.
I've logged over 15,000 Km's since September this season! (And I'm not much of a truck hunter, most has been to and from location)
That right there is the problem.
Maybe if there was an enforcement presence maybe poachers would think twice, and land owners wouldn't be getting fed up and closing access.
It's high time we start demanding change.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post

I get that. Just makes things too tempting for those that don't follow the law is all I'm saying.

Not a big stretch to have small bucks, 4" and a bit, mistakenly shot as does and people that walk the legal line leave them behind. That small an antler can be hidden by ears, OR, the deer may only have one. Seen it happen lots where guys think they've shot a doe only to walk up on it an see it just became their antlered specimen for the year.

One deer should be lots anyways. Just my opinion.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
I get that. Just makes things too tempting for those that don't follow the law is all I'm saying.

Not a big stretch to have small bucks, 4" and a bit, mistakenly shot as does and people that walk the legal line leave them behind. That small an antler can be hidden by ears, OR, the deer may only have one. Seen it happen lots where guys think they've shot a doe only to walk up on it an see it just became their antlered specimen for the year.

One deer should lots for what?
Old 11-25-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Curl Earl View Post
Alberta is a lawless province that really doesn't care much about wildlife. I am at 42 days of hunting, from Manning, to South of Medicine Hat and West to the Livingstone. I have seen exactly one Fish and Wildlife vehicle on the highway in that time. I personally have not been stopped and checked in 4 years.
I've logged over 15,000 Km's since September this season! (And I'm not much of a truck hunter, most has been to and from location)
Maybe if there was an enforcement presence maybe poachers would think twice, and land owners wouldn't be getting fed up and closing access.
This. We could use 5x the number of enforcement officers...
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
You should swing by our place... There hasn't been a day this seasoning haven't seen a F&W truck go by. We sat in the blind one night and saw trucks 3 times. It's nice knowing they are patrolling but I'd agree they need to spread their wings abut and expand their range a bit further from town.

On the flip side I the last 5 years we've had 1 deer shot and drug off our place without permission. If they weren't around there'd be a lot more as there's a lot of traffic around here. Personally appreciate their presence.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
One deer should lots for what?

Per hunter.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:05 AM

Default Nice

Sounds like maybe that officer hunts in that area, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K View Post
You should swing by our place... There hasn't been a day this seasoning haven't seen a F&W truck go by. We sat in the blind one night and saw trucks 3 times. It's nice knowing they are patrolling but I'd agree they need to spread their wings abut and expand their range a bit further from town.

On the flip side I the last 5 years we've had 1 deer shot and drug off our place without permission. If they weren't around there'd be a lot more as there's a lot of traffic around here. Personally appreciate their presence.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:25 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Nope, the province is far from lawless,few Fish cops out and about because they are always getting calls and chasing down leads etc on call ins. Just because you don't get stopped does not mean they are not watching you in your areas.
I spoke to a few over the years and the smart ones hunker down and watch from a distance...this I know because I was muzzleloading many moons ago and came out of a long draw, walked a road then was going to scoot back up into another draw...did not take the cap of the nipple of my muzzleloader..fish cop showed up, made conversation and I decided to pack it in and go back to camp, he offered me a ride but asked me to remove the cap off the nipple...crap..he said he was watching my and others in this area from 2 clicks away with his spotting scope...

I know we want change but in the mean time we have to be the eyes and ears out there to report poachers or suspicious activities.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2017, 07:36 AM

Sad to see the waste. Came across a decent 4x4 whitetail shot and gutted then left behind a couple of years back. Why someone would do that baffles me.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:49 AM

Quote:

One deer sure doesn't make many meals. If you are single and don't eat much meat a deer goes a little further.... for a family a deer doesn't last long at all.

LC
Old 11-26-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Per hunter.
How do you figure that? One deer wouldn't last two months at my place.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
There are a lot of idiots out there, but it's not a total waste. The predators are getting fed and in the end it may save the life of a live animal that the predators wouldn't take down. I don't let that ***** bother me, if you did you'd go crazy.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Per hunter.

You do realize that we would have to significantly increase hunter numbers just to manage deer populations if we limited everyone to one deer?

Didn't think so.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 11-26-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Our system seems to rely on "hunter ethics" for the laws to be adhered to.
I spoke to a ranch manager in the 212 bow zone who said he stopped calling F&W about poaching because he knows it's ineffective and they're spread too thin.
I hunted over 20 days in the field this year, almost all on crown land/grazing lease. I saw one Conservation officer, as he drove past me while I walked along the ditch carrying a bow, obviously hunting, he never stopped.

So you're experience isn't unique, unfortunately.

Boone and Crocket is making hunter ethics something they want people to think more about. I agree it's needed here in Alberta, but I wouldn't mind seeing more officers on patrol too.

John
Highlander Hunting Podcast
Old 11-26-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post

Boone and Crocket is making hunter ethics something they want people to think more about. I agree it's needed here in Alberta, but I wouldn't mind seeing more officers on patrol too.

John
Highlander Hunting Podcast
Unfortunately on the other hand the bad part of B&C is that it has inadvertently spawned a cult of conscienceless lawbreakers who will do anything and break any law seeking the notoriety from killing trophies that will put their name in that book.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
No ... raven's ... magpie's ect eat to ... the only waste is if the critter is burry'ed in a landfill !!!

See the big picture boy's ...
Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb356 View Post
No ... raven's ... magpie's ect eat to ... the only waste is if the critter is burry'ed in a landfill !!!
No then the maggots etc have a go....I think people are just saying hey you shot it, gutted it so why not tag it and take it home...fine line between hunting and poaching but you know when it is crossed...slobs,criminals,poachers not hunters.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
Our system seems to rely on "hunter ethics" for the laws to be adhered to.
The success of any system, not just hunting laws does rely on good ethical people who know the law and obey the law because it is the right thing to do.

There is not enough enforcement people that can be put in the field to enforce against just the very few that will deliberately violate the law.

If there were no enforcement people out there the good ethical people would still be good ethical people and not turn into poachers.

That said, I wish there was a bit more supervision in the field to remove the poachers who call themselves hunters.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
No then the maggots etc have a go....I think people are just saying hey you shot it, gutted it so why not tag it and take it home...fine line between hunting and poaching but you know when it is crossed...slobs,criminals,poachers not hunters.
Oh ... I forgot that a person has to be an up standing human to voice an opinion on AO ... sorry !!!