Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 04:09 PM

Default Suffield Whiners

I'm getting tired of people complaining about the Suffield hunt. Success rates and sightings are still higher than the average elk hunting trip in other WMUs for most people. Most of the guys whining seem like they want elk farm type conditions.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:17 PM

Sorta ironic whining about the whiners.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:17 PM

Default and the point

of whining about whiners?
Old 11-24-2017, 04:23 PM

For fun.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:33 PM

I don't expect to shoot an elk every time I'm out hunting. Just seems like Suffield expect to get a monster bull every day and are now disappointed because herd numbers have been reduced to a sustainable level and it has become harder a harder hunt.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:02 PM
Banned

The problem is that most guys have what it used to be in their heads. Not what it is now.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:12 PM
Gone Hunting

Does anyone remember the howling by the guys with high priority when the very first hunt was announced and some people mentioned it should be a lottery draw ? ...now guys are howling that they wasted xx number of points on this hunt,,,,

Last edited by hal53; 11-24-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:03 PM

some things are better off not said
Old 11-24-2017, 06:08 PM

I have no problem with the hunt being offered, just with the illegal and dangerous behavior of some of the hunters.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:20 PM

That is not called hunting.
Its called Reduction Program.
Been there couple of times and see nothing wrong with feeling up a freezer full of a good meat , but would not call it a hunt.
Old 11-24-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter12 View Post
Been there couple of times and see nothing wrong with feeling up a freezer full of a good meat , but would not call it a hunt.
This is probably the case where the outcome overshadows the experience of the hunt.
I haven't been involved in the Suffield "hunt" but it sure sounds like better memories of field time would be gathered else where.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
This is probably the case where the outcome overshadows the experience of the hunt.
I haven't been involved in the Suffield "hunt" but it sure sounds like better memories of field time would be gathered else where.
I was there last year. Loved it. Stayed away from crowds of hunters. Was successful the first and third days.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
If you go off away from the crowds, you can sometimes actually hunt without interruption, but if you sit and wait for the elk to leave a closed area, it is no different that sitting at the mine by Cadomin waiting for the sheep to leave the mine.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you go off away from the crowds, you can sometimes actually hunt without interruption, but if you sit and wait for the elk to leave a closed area, it is no different that sitting at the mine by Cadomin waiting for the sheep to leave the mine.
I am not gonna argue none of that , but I will not exchange my opportunity to get my elk with a bow or mountain late November elk hunt ( does not matter if I get it or not) for 3 days of opportunity of "trying to staying away from the crowd" in the open field , with another "serious hunters" who is trying to stay away from me ..ish,,
Been there, done that...
Old 11-24-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
I was there last year. Loved it. Stayed away from crowds of hunters. Was successful the first and third days.
Good to hear.
Always good if you can find some room where you are not bumping to other hunters.
Probably similar to Cypress and Camp Wainwright then.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:50 PM

Their all introduced, I've yet to hear any complaining other then farmers in the area wanting them all gone lol
Old 11-25-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Put 40 to 50km on the boots to get my bull this week out of the NWA area of the base. If that's not hunting then I'm not sure what is.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
Put 40 to 50km on the boots to get my bull this week out of the NWA area of the base. If that's not hunting then I'm not sure what is.
When I was there last time two years ago it was quite different experience for me.
20-30 trucks circling around the big heard and when they are on a move shooting at 200-300 yards away .
Many wounded animals this is what I saw.
I guess your experience was quite different.
Good for you.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:25 PM

I think your right. The hunt has changed as the numbers have declined.
The biologist told me that he doesn't think the legendary bulls are out there anymore either, although we walked by a lot of their sheds, they may have been old, I have no idea how to age sheds.

As for the "whiners" the Elk are still there but you have to be willing to work for them.

Last edited by openfire; 11-25-2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:40 PM

I was trying to get one mountable bull for the house after hunting for forty years. Have killed lots of six point bulls but nothing big. I was a priority 10 this season and put in for another wmu. My son and I spent the last week hunting a zone that doesn't even have 20 bulls in it and we had a great time. Was so sad that I couldn't get drawn for the Block zones earlier but so happy to have a quality hunt in the mountains. Makes for way better pics and not a ****ty hunt. Too bad I didn't get a tag earlier before the big Bulls were done! .
Old 11-25-2017, 08:06 PM

ah let them whine. might turn some people off going there letting those who like it have a better chance!
Old 11-25-2017, 10:16 PM

I went last year, and the best day we had was just walking around the river breaks. Never even saw an elk.

There is a lot less native prairie left than pristine mountain views. The chance to see the biggest block of it in North America was incredible. Between mulies, antelope and just seeing bone white elk sheds on every hill, I would go back without a tag in my pocket every day of the week.

Seeing 3 herds of 500 elk running across the hill the next day was pretty special too. Once the whole gang showed up and the shooting got a bit busy, we walked away without a care in the world.

I seriously have no idea how you could not enjoy yourself down there.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
I went last year, and the best day we had was just walking around the river breaks. Never even saw an elk.

There is a lot less native prairie left than pristine mountain views. The chance to see the biggest block of it in North America was incredible. Between mulies, antelope and just seeing bone white elk sheds on every hill, I would go back without a tag in my pocket every day of the week.

Well said, indredible place.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post

Seeing 3 herds of 500 elk running across the hill the next day was pretty special too. Once the whole gang showed up and the shooting got a bit busy, we walked away without a care in the world.

X2. Well said
Old 11-26-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
It most definitely is called hunting, you still have to go and look for the Elk. But then again everyone just expects the Elk to run right to the truck. There are still some big bulls there, the sheds don't lie. Maybe get out of the truck and get away from the crowds you'd be surprised at what you find.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:10 AM

I hunted across the river this year. It is a beautiful area. We didn't see any elk until the last morning. .... across the river on the base. I'd do Suffield just for the experience/views. Hunting for me is more about the experience

Since I'm so lazy how my points does it take to go hunt a cow or bull at the base?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openfire View Post
Sounds like hunting to me too.
Congrats on the bull.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:06 PM

I am glad there are so many people complaining about it. Hopefully in a few years less and less people apply for the hunt and and then the people who live in the area (like me) can start getting drawn every couple of years.

My mom got drawn last year and we harvested two cows within 5 miles of the Trans Canada.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:55 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
I'm getting tired of people complaining about the Suffield hunt. Success rates and sightings are still higher than the average elk hunting trip in other WMUs for most people. Most of the guys whining seem like they want elk farm type conditions.
It's going to happen no matter what don't let it get to you.

Me I don't like those types of hunts but some do so enjoy what is a privilidge and hunt on....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 PM

I recently got my bull from sufield. One of the most satisfying hunts I've been on to date we worked our butts off packed my bull out on our backs 4km with no other hunters around can't wait to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk