Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Trigger jo

Default Trigger jobs

Hey all,
I've got a .223 Rem VLS with a stock trigger in it.I had the trigger adjusted once but still am not happy with it.I'm thinking of getting a new trigger but am not sure what to go with.I've read some on the timney and shilen triggers and they both seem alright.Does anyone have any experience with these triggers or use them?Info and opinions you may have on these or any other trigger you may use would be helpful in making my decision. thanx
Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
HUNTNUT

I put a Timiney on my Savage. It was easy to do and it works great. No overtravel or creep and a nice crisp break at 2.5lbs.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Dick284

Remington 700 triggers are available in a wide variety of makes and models.
You listed two of the more popular choices.
The thing to watch is what poundage they will go down too.
The ones that goe to lower poundage(actually ounces) have 3 transfer bars in the mechanism, as opposed to 2 transfer bars in the more hunter styled triggers. This of course makes the lighter pull triggers more expensive, because of more parts and fitting etc.
Do a google search and see what appeals to you just remember not everything listed states side is easily available up here.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:30 PM
Trigger Jo

Default Trigger Job

Call Henry Rempel (Gunsmith) in Calgary.
He is the VERY best at adjusting Remington triggers. I guarantee you will be happy at considerably less money than a replacement trigger. If you do go that way, spent the money and buy a Jewell (300.00)
Henry Remepel - 272 8416 after 4:00pm
Old 02-13-2007, 07:16 PM
chuck

Default Re: Trigger Job

Rifle Basix. $150 from Corlane Sporting Goods in Dawson Creek. Install it yourself and adjust it yourself. If you need help you can call Rifle Basix and they will walk you through it.

Chuck
Old 02-13-2007, 08:21 PM
harv3589

Default Re: Trigger Job

Rick at Alberta Tactical and Rifle in Calgary can really adjust a Remington trigger as well. I have tried several of his and have my VSSF II in there right now getting the trigger done. Picking it up tomorrow night.
Old 02-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Here's som

Default Here's some trigger info

www.quarterbore.com/libra...igger.html

the article says some rem triggers will not adjust very well
Old 02-13-2007, 10:32 PM
chuck

Default Re: Here's some trigger info

Harv, nice to see you.

Chuck
Old 02-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Re:Trigger

Default Re:Trigger jobs

I've decided that I'm buying a scale and am going to adjust the stock trigger myself,and see if it will safely go to two lb's.After puting the gun through rigorous tests with no mishaps I will keep the trigger.If it won't stay at 2 lb's then I will put in a Timney 1.5 to 4 lb trigger, and should have no problem setting it to the desired weight safely!Thanx for the info guys.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Have fun w

Default Have fun with the bounce test!!

That is if you like testing for accidental fires by dropping the rifle on the recoil pad from about a foot high, just don't seem right but better to be safe than sorry, two pounds may require a different weight spring if you had the factory 8-9lb pull, i don't think you'll hit two pounds safely with a heavy spring.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:39 PM
harv3589

Default Re: Have fun with the bounce test!!

Hey Chuck good to see you too...haven't seen you around for awhile on 24hrcampfire.