Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-19-2007, 01:57 AM
smurph22

Default Question about Bird hunting regulations in Alberta

Glad to have finally found a true 'Alberta' hunting and fishing forum. I have a question. In the 2006 Hunting Regs, it states...

"It's unlawful to:
hunt any game bird using a shotgun in which the magazine and chamber combined will hold more than three rounds of ammunition"

Well... I own a single shot 12 Ga. and just replaced my POL with a PAL in the hopes of purchasing a 20 Ga. Benelli Pump. But it can hold 4 in the tube and 1 in the action. If I hunted with this firearm, it looks like I would be committing an offence if I was hunting Grouse etc. So do I stop looking for a pump and stick to a sxs or an o/u?

Any help would be great!

Scott
Old 02-19-2007, 03:09 AM
Northern Hunting Mom

Not at all. Many gun manufacturers offer a couple plastic dowels you can add into the magazine chamber behind the plug that will allow you to only add 1 or 2 shells. I know my Rem 870 Express 20 ga came with two dowels to accommodate both upland and waterfowl. Since Alberta seems to require one less shell int he magazine compared to a few other provinces etc then I will just use my waterfowl dowel.

If the Benelli does not have one (and if they didn't, i would be disappointed and demand one for no extra charge or the sale is off) then you can make your own with a piece of wooden dowel cut to fit behind the plug. Just take off the barrel and slide off the magazine; it shouldn't be too painful to do. If you are uncomfortable playing around with a new gun then take it to a reputable gunshop and have them do it.

I was kinda surprised with the lower number os shells allowed in a magazine for upland game too but I play by the rules.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:42 AM
RyanGSP

If you are hutning uplans you really dont get much chance for a 4th shell. The bird is probally too far away anyway. You may with huns just because of sheer numbers but do you really want 2 or 3 crack shots comin along and wiping out an entire covey?

The dowl works behind the plug. I used a pencil as long as it will prevent that 3rd shell from fitting into the mag you will be fine.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:34 AM
smurph22

Thanks for the quick responses... seems i'm not the only nightowl. I didn't consider the dowel option. Now i'll have to start another post with what you'd suggest for a good 20 Ga. around the $500 or less mark.

Thanks again,

S
Old 02-19-2007, 04:44 AM
RyanGSP

870 Wingmaster. If I were you I would buy a 12 gauge Rem 1100 3" with the interchangable chokes. This way you can use the gun for everything from huns, to geese. I have an 1100 and it hasnt let me down yet.

An O/U would be sweet too. You can pick up a stoger for 700 bucks.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Northern Hunting Mom

I wish I could get a Wingmaster for under 500. I spent 420 on my Express.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:01 PM
winged1

your sure to find plenty of wingmasters for under $500. I would advise against the pencil as a plug though. If it failed when an officer was plugging your gun, you'd lose it.