Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-21-2007, 12:25 PM
340 Weatherby

Default 340 Weatherby

:rolleyes
I have shot my Sako 300 for years, and every year I get older the weight had become a factor. I sold it at the gon show , and my best friend sold me his 340 Weatherby. I had been a diehard Sako fan shot many animals with it. This 340 dances all over the preformance of the Sako less weight and kicks less I love it. I use the 210 Nosler and the 225 Accubond. We took three deer with it in November all one shot kills. I am in line for a Moose draw next year and will report the findings. Happy hunting
Old 01-21-2007, 06:04 PM
nube

It doesn't seem much different than a 338 or is it. I would choose a 338 before a weatherby of equal calibre because of cost alone. It might be harder to find 340 shells as well. Interested to know anyways
Old 01-21-2007, 06:47 PM
sheep hunter

The 340 is a fine calibre but I'd question your statement about less recoil...especially if it is a lighter rifle. Glad it's working well for you though.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 PM
340 weatherbys are cool

Default 340 weatherbys are cool

My vote for nice elk gun, i would say 300wby kicks with less snap but it probably depends on how well it fits ya
Old 01-21-2007, 10:28 PM
varmitr

Default Re: 340 weatherbys are cool

a whole lot a gun.
the 340 cartridge is a popular parent cartridge for the 1000yards set.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Roebag

I have one in a Mark V stainless with a removable Accubrake. I used it for about 5 years without the brake. It could be the most violent gun I ever touched off without the brake. I put the brake back on (getting older) and find it less than my Browning BBR 300 win mag.
I use my 340 for almost everything now.

Favorite Recipe

85 gr RL 22
Federal 215 primer
250gr Speer Grand Slam

Velocity is 2900 fps through the crony and accurate too.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:21 PM
varmitr

ahh roebag, i knew it was only a matter time before circled this topic. did you ever get to unleash the 4570 and stick a tag??
Old 01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Roebag

Varmitr
Sent you a pm
Old 01-22-2007, 11:01 PM
340 Weatherby

Default 340 Weatherby

That Sako kicked like a Mule I was shooting 81gr of IMR7828 215 fed Primers and 180gr Noslers. I took animals until 2005. The hills got longer or I just got older. My 340 kicks less then that 300 it maybe because it fits like a glove I can shoot it with just a light tee shirt and it leaves marks on my sholder. I'm a big boy at 265 and stands 6.1 I love the recoil some of us old farts do. My load for my 340 is 93gr of IMR7828 215 Fed Primers and 210gr Nosler Par. Love it
Old 01-23-2007, 01:35 AM
cmfic1

Quote:
I'd question your statement about less recoil
X 2.

I have a Sako .338 WM built by Mark Bansner, I have also shot several .340 Weatherbys, the performance on game (out to 250 yards), is hardly worth the difference in recoil!

As for the Rifle (or any Weatherby), I would rather Hunt with a Bowling ball, Dont like Weatherbys, never have & never will....

But remember, I dont have to like it, Its your rifle and it sounds like you enjoy it.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:39 PM
340 Weatherby

Default 340 Weatherby

Sounds like I'm going to have to question your statements BUB! You say you've shot many 340 Weatherby's "But" you never liked Weatherby's so who would lend you a Weatherby to shoot. I think you don't know what your missing. Like the extra horse power of the 340 with factory ammo loaded at 96gr would'nt make a difference or it's not worth it, give me a break you couldn't handle it, is more like the truth. Most people shoot big guns for one reason. Can you guess what that is. How about your stupid statement about the guns killing people, guns don't kill people just the person behind it does. If you have nothing nice to say you should keep you stupid comments to yourself, just like Donald and Rosie what the hell do they have to do with the discussion of 340 weatherby's O ya just "REMEMBER" you don't have to like what I say. Like that's going to smooth things over. Doesn't feel very good to get some of your own medicine back. I just about forgot about the bowling ball that's a laugh be careful the Govermment may want you to register it and that's just about as stupid as your gun killing comments. Thing like that just never need to be said. LOLOLOLOLOL
Old 01-23-2007, 11:25 PM
Jamie Hunt

Hiback, take it easy.. I think you are reading to much into it.

Anyhow, the line about Rosie is his signature. It's on all his posts.

Jamie
Old 01-23-2007, 11:28 PM
slopeshunter

+1 what Jamie said.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:52 PM
340 Weatherby

Default 340 Weatherby

It doesn't sound good! I s my read neck showing. LOL :lol
Old 01-24-2007, 12:21 AM
shooter

Well this seems to be a hot topic. I myself shoot a 338 win mag and just love it. This is the third one that i've owned and it took three to find one that didn't kick like a mule. This one is a custom built rifle using a mauser action. Everything else was made from scratch by hand.
The Sako deluxe that i had was the same as your Sako 300 highbackpack.... it hurt me everytime i pulled the pin. I think that stock design has a great deal to do with felt recoil.
Those weatherby rifles are great lookin firearms and especially the older ones.
I like those 225 gr accubonds out of mine but that 340 would really punch them out. The powder difference is quite amazing too. I shoot 71 gr. of 4350 and you're talking 90 + grns.. wow thats got some stink to it!!!
I am a big fan of the 338 dia. bullets for their stopping power on those big animals. Good luck with the Moose!!
Shooter
Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 AM
cmfic1

Holy smokes........Apparantly you havent read many of my posts before. If you had the 1st thing you would notice is I am kind of a smart ***** (Concerning the Bowling Ball thing). The 2nd might be, that I have a fair bit of knowledge about Rifles, and/or ballistics. You may also have read a time or two, that I have spent 11 yrs. Guiding in AB, BC, and the Yukon, so that would be where I shot "Several" .340's, people didnt lend them to me, we just often shoot the clients rifles, when they are checking them at the range. It is also when, I acquired a "Bad taste" in my mouth for Weatherby Rifles, for a few different reasons. I never said I didnt like the Chambering, I said the pay off in recoil out to 250 or so yards is not worth it!

You stated that I "Dont know what I am missing", Well I will handle any rifle you want to throw at me! In my Gun cabinet I currently have (among others) a 6 lb. .300 Win. Mag. that is pretty stout when you hit the switch, a .338 Win. Mag., .450 Marlin, & 2 .416 Rem. Mags. I recently sold my .458 Win. Mag, and got rid of a .375 H+H a few years ago, I am in the middle of having a .358 Norma made right now, & quite possibly a .458 Lott built next year.......So I am guessing I aint missing alot in that department.

I personally dont care that you are busting 96 gr. of powder out of your case, just like I dont need to be told how "Awesome" any Weatherby Chamberings are. I am not highly impressed with alot of speed, nor any of their Cartridges or Rifles. I stated that at 250 yards, In my oppinion, that the difference in recoil between the 2 isnt worth it. Both Rifles shooting a 250 Bullet at 250 yards, are killing a Moose/Bear/Elk just the same!

I think you misinterpreted most of what I typed, at no time did I say I didnt "Like what you said", but I did say I "Dont have to like your rifle", Your Rifle, you like it & thats fine.

And believe me, there is no part of what I said that was "trying to smooth things over", I say/type things and live by them, if you get all sad, cause you cant deal with everybody not loving you rifle, well then thats your problem!!
Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 AM

Default 340

:rolleyes :lol
Kind of a smart @#@ i'd say .LOL I don't care what you say about it. In my life time I have sold, traded and shot my share of guns. Worked up loads for many of my friends and family. Won my share of the cash and prizes at many shoots. Im just saying in order to get the foot pounds you need the horse power. At 250 yards there is a difference of just over 400 foot pounds between the two cal. My Quote was from the factory spects. I didn't know that the last line was part of your post so sorry for the comment, bet you never though you would read that.LOL At one time or another I have 15 or so long guns 375#1 338's 300 mag 7 mag 308's 3006 243's just to name a few. I live for shooting and hunting.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:19 PM
varmitr

Default Re: 340

cmfic
with hardware like that in your gun cabinet, you must buy retumbo by the 5 gallon bucket!
Old 01-25-2007, 10:20 PM
HIBACKPACKER

I buy and sell over the year and get enough money to get the toys in my garage. There is a nack to doing this and being in the right place at the right time doesn't hurt.LOL
Old 01-29-2007, 09:20 PM
3 Sheep

Glad to see you became a member HIBACKPACKER !!!!
What model is that 340 Wby. you got ? I have never owned one but may be looking ! I'd really like to get a 338 Win Mag. I shot a 7 mm Wby when I guided in the NWT, it was a clients ! That was the only gun that I ever got a scope bite from. The guy shot it twice and got two scope bites from it. I laughed my butt off and thought that it was just " A little guy from California" problem. Then when I shot it and it caught me one, I really was not to happy. (He had the scope mounted to far back !!!!!!!!!!). Have you ever owned a Ruger ? I am looking at the Ruger MK11 in 338. Brand new for $699.00. Postive feed extractor, stainless and fiberglass stock. I would shoot the Nosler 225 gr. Partitions out of it. CCI 250 mag primers and IMR 4831. I know that others are shooting the 338 like "Shooter" and others but glad to hear your stories on the 340. Go big or go home !!!!!!!!!!!! I shot a grizzly and a whitetail buck with a 375/338 a number of years ago and loved it. Gave it back to my buddy after the season was over. I do believe that it had either 250 or 300 gr. bullets. :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek .
The stupid thing had a muzzle break on it and I hated it. My ears rang for a week ! Again "Welcome aboard" 3 Sheep
Old 01-30-2007, 09:42 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Default 340

Hey 3 Sheep Thanks
I know shooter very well and he comes by his nick name very well. Yes I've had the M77 in the 7mm. My Weatherby is the Euramark not sure how it's spelled but what a fine shooting gun. Not sure why it doesn't kick the crap out of me but it is a joy to shoot. One of the 375's in the Ruger # 1 it kicks like a mule at both ends. The night that I was tracked by the Grizzly this past fall would have turned out differently if I was packing the 340. Read about it on the second page of the Man that killed the charging Grizzly. By Barbwire
Happy Hunting
Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Default 340

Hey 3 Sheep do you ever have the feeling you know someone. Sounds like I should know you from some where the comment about laughing you ass off man I herd that saying around for years but know only one person that says it. I wonder anyway do you like quading the Rhino is a whole different cup of tea. I try to get out with who ever wants to go and as often. I pulled a whoe Elk out of the bush for my kid brother we had half in the box and pulled the other in just about a foot of snow.
Happy Hunting
Old 01-31-2007, 09:42 PM
3 Sheep

Ya, It's kind of funny when you think that you know someone. When you finally meet them you say " Oh for ch**t sake, I know you" !!!!!!!!:b Yes I go quading and I take my girls with me. I took the wife out for the first time last year and she loved it. She is kind of a clean freak and got dirty and muddy. I thought that she wouldn't go again but she asked to go the next day. The girls are always asking to go hunting and quading. I'm a lucky guy !!!! My wife comes from a big family and "SOME" of her brothers are a blast to go out with. We are planning a family hunting trip to Sask. next year and I sure pray that it works out ! We don't live close together any more so it's harder to get out together. May be some day soon we will move close together and and catch up on old times. I hope it's not too late !!! It sure sounds like Shooter and you have a lot of fun. I have a buddy that I go out with alot and it sure is better than going by yourself. We have taken the horses sheep hunting and have had a tonn of laughs. We have taken some amazing deer and elk also. We both have kids now and things change. Work hard and play hard I say !!!!!! I read your story about the bear. Your lucky if your sister ever goes out with you again. You have to be careful of things that go bump in the night. My wife hates bears !!!!!!!!! Take care and keep your stick on the ice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 10:36 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Hey 3 Sheep
We are heading out to the hill over the weekend can you make it? I just got my Rhino back from the dealer they did a little pimping for me. I had them add a jet kit and K&N filter and a new Juice Box which cut the gov and adds 1000 rpm. Should help me out on the long hils. I also take my family out my girls don't like the mud so they rather Rhino in the winter. My boys love to go as often as I will take them. As they get old I can see this sport costing us. It will be well worth it if I can keep them away from the malls and all that goes with that lift style. Have any quad pic's to share?
Happy Hunting
Old 02-02-2007, 03:27 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Default HIBACKPACKER

what is this article you mention, where can one find it? sounds interesting...

thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 12:16 AM
HIBACKPACKER

Default 340

Hey
The story about the Grizzly tracking us in the woods is under the sub heading Bear killed while charging hunter. It is on the second page.
Happy Hunting
Old 02-04-2007, 06:11 AM
3 Sheep

Default Weekend of quading

Sorry HIBACKPACKER. Forgot to post you back. I work Sat and Sun night shift and can't make it down. Just got off work and posted this. I'll post next time I am down South and maybe we can hook up. My Polaris need the fresh air.:hat Have fun if you go out on the weekend.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Default Re: Weekend of quading

Hey 3 sheep
No problem I know how thing are. There is a show in town that sell the tire take off's Good Year Raw Hide's. They sell them for $60.00 a tire. They are 26" and will fit on the 12" rims let me know and I will have them set them aside for you. Not everone knows but Wal-Mart installs quad tires and they do it for $5.00 a tire not like the quad shops that charge us $40 to $60 a tire let as many people know. Talk to you soon
Happy Hunting
Old 02-05-2007, 07:34 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Default Re: HIBACKPACKER

Hey Fishrman
Is that short for Fish Cops. LOL I had heard that maybe that's what you do for a living. If it is what part of the WNM are you patrolling? You would be welcome in our camp the coffee is always on. Let me know if you can.
Happy hunting
Old 02-19-2007, 09:26 PM
HIBACKPACKER

Default Re:340

Hey
Anyone take advantage of the nice weather this week end.
I was out to the Jumping Pound sight lot of snow not many people. I saw the Grizzly tracks at the 500 meter Rams. I wonder if he sleeps at all in the winter.
Happy Hunting