Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-08-2016, 09:54 PM

Default gunna hit the crow next week

so ive never fished the crowsnest river in April...gunna be down from east hillcrest bridge.....wanna try for whites....i wanna smoke one....

any ideas on a good fly? im thinking san juan with dropper to bead jead prince nymph.....sounds ok?

river says its only 18" of clarity right now....so im kinda scared if it will b fishable. My buddy dont fly fish...so maybe a small spoon or spinner for him? any ideas on what to use?

any ideas will help

tnx
happy
Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post
so ive never fished the crowsnest river in April...gunna be down from east hillcrest bridge.....wanna try for whites....i wanna smoke one....

any ideas on a good fly? im thinking san juan with dropper to bead jead prince nymph.....sounds ok?

river says its only 18" of clarity right now....so im kinda scared if it will b fishable. My buddy dont fly fish...so maybe a small spoon or spinner for him? any ideas on what to use?

any ideas will help

tnx
happy
I am sure a San Juan and a small spinner like a panther Martin will be just fine for whitefish.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfisher View Post

any ideas will help

tnx
happy
A close relative of the san juan but not too popular for fly fishing is the wire worm . Use one in copper or red and get it down and drag the bottom of the runs and pools. They work quite well and later in the year when they are legal some people tip them with maggots on the Crow and they are whitefish magnets. Not popular but if you are going to target them they work well. One oddity around the Pass is many refer to the Whitefish as grayling.....
Old 04-09-2016, 06:01 PM

It's blown out just came back from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-09-2016, 11:26 PM

I've had the best luck on whites with a tan beadhead scud nymph about 15" below a beadhead prince.. I'm no expert though
Old 04-13-2016, 06:58 PM

There's a small tackle shop as you go into crowsnest pass village, guy in there is very helpful, shoyld give you some info on what's working
Old 04-13-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggin View Post
There's a small tackle shop as you go into crowsnest pass village, guy in there is very helpful, shoyld give you some info on what's working
That would be Crowsnest Angler Flyshop in the town of Bellevue.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:11 PM

was out yesterday....didnt get anything....i think when river gets back to a flow of around 6 cm per sec it should be good to go......

tnx and when i hit it next time ill update....went to the flyshop in coleman.....lady was helpfull!!!