Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 PM

Default Poachers on the Bow

Called Report A Poacher on 2 guys today fishing in the Bow with bait rigs. The F&W officer called me and said it would take them 15 minutes to get there. They hid their truck, and snuck up on the 2 guys. when they made contact one guy cut his line while the other guy had his baited hooks in his hand. Both guys were handcuffed and left sitting on the rocks while the officers tried to find the cut line. One officer in his uniform was in the river over his knees trying to find the cut line with no success. They made the guys pack all their equipment over to the F&W truck. The officer called me, and told me that the one guy had cut his line, and asked if I would give a statement saying I saw both of them fishing with bait. They later called me back to say they would not need a statement as both guys admitted to what they were doing. I am typically the guy that believes most people are good, and don't like seeing them get into trouble. in the last few years on the river I have advised people they were doing wrong, and got every response from thank you to go $#@% yourself. No longer that guy. Now everyone I see gets reported, and F&W can decide their fate. Thanks to the 2 officers that responded, and took 2 more poachers off of our Alberta waterways.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:22 PM

Good job. Nice to see thieves get caught
Old 04-07-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Well done!

Well done and thank you! We need to keep our fish in the bow protected for future generations to enjoy.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 PM

That's great! Good job.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:46 PM

Good Job but I did not think F/W could hand cuff someone because they thought he cut his fishing line? Seems very excessive.... Looked for proof of a cut fishing line with bait on it and hand cuffed the guy while he searched for his line.........nope.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
Good Job but I did not think F/W could hand cuff someone because they thought he cut his fishing line? Seems very excessive.... Looked for proof of a cut fishing line with bait on it and hand cuffed the guy while he searched for his line.........nope.
Not sure why you would write this comment. Why would I lie about this? You are sitting in front of your computer while myself, and other members were there on the river. This is why I dont post on this site after being a member for 5 years. Tell a story that is in no way false and have someone tell you that what you say is not true. Do you want the officers cell number so that you can ask him yourself?
Old 04-08-2016, 12:18 AM

Quote:
lannie a fish and wildlife officer may arrest a suspect to preserve evidence, so in this case the officer was likely within his rights to arrest the subject. They have peace officer appointments.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/a...ction-495.html
Old 04-08-2016, 12:39 AM

This story is by no means unreasonable. Regardless... have you ever seen a cop be excessive? We're all human. Would you say you were being unreasonable and excessive calling this story false?
Old 04-08-2016, 04:04 AM

Why the hell would he not cuff somebody? They carry fire arms too, do they not? Often times fishermen and hunters are armed. Call it excessive if you want but it's in no way unreasonable to a) preserve evidence as one guy said and b) to preserve safety.

Good job reporting, I'm sick and tired seeing bait canisters on the damned shore. I have no doubt they're illegal taking fish out of the river either.
Cheers
Old 04-08-2016, 06:31 AM

Great job.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:56 AM
Banned

Default Good job Topwater

It is important to tell about poacher apprehension on here .
I have written the minister about setting actual rewards
Bounty S if you like , on poachers . Just for reporting .Make sure you collect
The RAP reward when those two mooks are charged .
Was this in the city ?
I tested for the POC for 3 yrs , 99 % of people have no idea
Of the F&W authority , greater than RCMP .
As for getting slagged on here .....remember
No good deed goes unpunished Lol
Old 04-08-2016, 07:22 AM

Good job goes out to Top Water and our F/W!. We complain too much that nobody does anything or the F/W are never there or do anything. This is good all around.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:41 AM

Excellent, we need more people reporting poachers.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 04-08-2016, 08:07 AM
Banned

"Now everyone I see gets reported, and F&W can decide their fate."

Just wondering. Would you have immediately made the call if it had been someone you knew? Or would you just advised them of the regs?
Old 04-08-2016, 08:08 AM

This is what I like to hear!! Great job Top Water!

Nick
Old 04-08-2016, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post

Just wondering. Would you have immediately made the call if it had been someone you knew? Or would you just advised them of the regs?
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
LOL!!

You ever been out on the water lannie? Ever get out from behind the computer? Your a class act, calling a guy a liar because you can't get off the internet? Perfect example of douchbaggery!!

Great job to the O.P for calling it in, We floated the Bow yesterday and we only saw a couple other people on the river.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:

Not reading the regs is not an excuse, especially when they're given to you when you get your license.

Those two will be a lot less likely to do it again if they ended up getting a fine. Also, if they cut their line, they knew they were doing wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-08-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:

Very fair question. Most of the guys I fish with know my opinion on this subject so I have never been in that situation. As I said its F/W job to sort out the people that are breaking the rules. I know how much pressure our waterways are under these days, and would like to see anyone who wants to fish them have an opportunity to love this sport the way most of us do.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:03 AM

If I was the F&W Officer in this case, I wouldn't have cuffed the guy who cut his line.

I would have told him to wade out and find his rig - otherwise he would be charged with obstructing a peace officer on top of his poaching charges. If he didn't come up with the abandoned rig - he would get a ticked for littering.

Good work - and keep reporting these pecker-woods.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 AM

nice work I would do the same they all need to be reported
Old 04-08-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Water View Post
Not sure why you would write this comment. Why would I lie about this? You are sitting in front of your computer while myself, and other members were there on the river. This is why I dont post on this site after being a member for 5 years. Tell a story that is in no way false and have someone tell you that what you say is not true. Do you want the officers cell number so that you can ask him yourself?
First two words I typed were good job. I do not doubt what you say I did not think F/W would be able to cuff someone on suspicion of cutting a baited line.
It does seem to be very excessive to me anyway, sorry if I offended you.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:15 PM

Great job. Also nice to hear about the 4 that you called in tonight that are fishing with bait and have an over sized fish that was bonked.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:17 PM

Excellent job Mr. Top Water. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:

I would. There's regs for a reason. I know them, why can't the next guy?
Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
First two words I typed were good job. I do not doubt what you say I did not think F/W would be able to cuff someone on suspicion of cutting a baited line.
It does seem to be very excessive to me anyway, sorry if I offended you.
Lannie no offence taken. I have seen several threads on here that you have commented on, and you seem to be a pretty positive person. Apparently they cuffed them so that they could try to find the cut line, and not have them run off.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:38 PM

Default Poachers on the Bow part 2

Was out again tonight in the same place as yesterday. Saw 4 more guys fishing with bait. A real nice young man called it in to F&W, and 2 officers responded. They saw the officerers truck before he spotted them, and removed all their illegal tackle. The officers checked them out completely, and found nothing. The officers then left, and the 4 guys continued fishing. When I got back to my truck a little while later i grabbed my bino's and had a look across the river. Just as I found the guy in the binos he lifted up a rock, and pulled out a bait tub. Watched them for a while longer, and saw them stuff a fish into a backpack. One guy carrying the backpack came over the bridge, and placed the fish in the trunk of the car. I called RAP for the second time, and they told me the officer was getting close. When they saw the officer they packed up and headed over the bridge. The F&W officer met them at their car. With the info I had given he checked their bags, and found the bait. He then got consent to search the car where they found an oversized brown trout, and a 22" bull trout. A big thanks to F&W for getting there, and dealing with these idiots.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:00 PM

And I got to see four men poop in their pants tonight when the officer raced in like Bo Duke!
Priceless! Lol
Old 04-08-2016, 11:50 PM

Good job calling it in. Glad to see they were able to make it out in time to bust them!
Old 04-09-2016, 12:08 AM

WELL DONE SIR! We definitely need more folks like you calling in poachers as they see them. It is disappointing to take time away from your trip to investigate - kudos for doing so.

The sad reality is; how many poachers are fishing illegal bait on the Bow and have gotten away with it?

Stronger penalties for convicted poachers would do Alberta a lot of good.