Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2016, 06:37 PM

Default Opinions on waders anyone?

Looking for opinions people have regarding chest waders, durability and breathability are my primary concerns, as I will be using them alot both fishing and working (mostly work unfortunately... But at least its fishy work!) so I am looking to upgrade my waders to something that will actually keep me dry unlike my current waders...

At the top of my price range is are Simms G3. Obviously I would rather not spend 500$ on waders, but I will be using them a lot so it is an option mostly because they always seem to come at a high recommendation. Also looking at Simms freestone waders as they are much much cheaper and still look to be a reliable wader. I am also considering the Reddington Palix waders or a Caddis waders at the bottom of the price range.

Opinions? Experiences? Horror stories?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:46 PM

I have the freestone pants and I love them.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:09 PM

Default Waders

G3s are great
Old 03-29-2016, 07:41 PM

X2 on the freestone. For the money a great wader almost 4 years old no leaks. As for breathability they are good but if you think gortex is going to be better your fooling yourself. You will sweat no mater what. The only thing that makes it better is to wear a pair of under armor type moisture wicking pant. You will still get sweaty but it will keep it off your skin and to the wader material. Most waders are ment to fit snug so nix the idea of wearing jeans under them. It will keep you more comfortable no mater what you decide to get.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:13 PM

I have a pair of redington sonic pros and love them. Going on three years with no leaks.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Redington Super Dryflys. I didnt think the zipper would really be a key feature for me, but it is. I've worn Simms guide pants and have had more issues with them, than I've had with my Redingtons. When sending previous Redingtons back for repairs, they've always been replaced with a new pair. When I would send my Simms in for warranty, all they would did, was reinforce my own aquaseal patches, which I had enough confidence in already.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:48 PM

All I'm gonna say is I just should have bought Simms in the first place. 2 years on my G3 and no leaks. I fish a lot and put a lot of time and km's hiking in them. Have held up great going through brush and scrambling over rocks. I like them so much I bought G3 pant waders for days when I know I won't be going in over my waist. Way nicer to hike up/down river in not so hot.
Old 03-30-2016, 12:48 AM

It's rough on waders out here and I use them all year over 100 days. Love my visions and there not $500 I paid $275 on sale there worth it
Old 03-30-2016, 06:17 AM

Give William Joseph waders a look. Forget what model mine are but they are tough. After 4 seasons of climbing over log jambs and walk through the bush I've yet to get a leak.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Give William Joseph waders a look. Forget what model mine are but they are tough. After 4 seasons of climbing over log jambs and walk through the bush I've yet to get a leak.
I have had mine now for three years and no issues and just lately have bought the pants to try out. Seems like a good bang for your buck.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:10 AM

don't cheap out, just open your wallet and go with the best simms to save yourself the headache later.
trust me.
your welcome
Old 03-30-2016, 05:22 PM

No, waders should NOT fit snug!! Not unless you want to blow a seam!! That being said, you shouldn't be swimming in them either. Just make sure you can bend and step up and kneel down, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
X Most waders are ment to fit snug

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 03-30-2016 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:16 PM

Uber I was getting at is that you should'nt be wearing a pair of jeans under them snug as in a pair of fleace wading pants or something thiner. I don't mean wet suit or neoprene tight. My simms are a hell of a lot tighter fitting then my old pair of hodgemans. But its good not so much fabric flaping around in the current
Old 03-30-2016, 06:42 PM

I have Patagonia Rio Gallegos zip front. Great waders...if you can find a sale.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:45 PM

Orvis silver sonics. Love mine.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:27 PM

Wow, lots of replies, Thanks!

Seems Simms are getting the most props, maybe due to them being available everywhere...lol.

I think I am going to go with the freestones as I originally planned, of course this depends on the fit.

Thanks for the input!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:43 AM

I have freestone waders and love them. I find I sweat very little, as compared to my waterfowl waders which are neoprene that being said, on a hot day, no matter what you wear, you'll be wet with sweat!

I've slid down shale slops with them, and done some stupid things getting into places - never had a puncture, never had a rip or anything. Lasted me 4 seasons so far.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:05 AM

You get what you pay for with waders, after going cheap route first time. Just save headache and get Simms freestones there great so far. The gf has caddis and loves them both no complaints
Old 03-31-2016, 08:39 AM

I am on my second pair of Redington Pro Sonic zipper front. I would never go back to not having a zipper front. Not only are they convenient, they allow you to open them up to get rid of heat. I really abused the first pair even wearing them duck hunting. I like to hike more than fish so they had 3 or 4 years and many hard miles on them. They have been sealed in a few spots but I still have them as a spare. The second pair has 2 years on them with no issues.

Having said that, I really wanted the top of the line Simms with the zipper but they were a lot more money. They were much lighter and I have read great things about them but $1000 for waders is getting a little silly.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:45 AM

I've fished a bunch of waders over the years and each have their own positives and negatives.

My problem is big feet and skinny frame meaning that the waders with boots that fit me are far to large in the body... I've found simms to be the happy medium between both.

Try a bunch on and see what is the most comfortable- you used said, spend the money now as your probably gunna be spending a lot of hours in em. All waders leak, just a matter of when really.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:13 PM

Getting ones that fit well is the most important. If they move with you, they will last. If they bind or pull when you move, you wasted your money.
I love my old G3 Guide waders as they fit like a glove.
Old 04-06-2016, 05:09 PM

Buy simms man and you can't go wrong, they are durable and simms have a solid warranty system. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:43 AM

Another thumbs up for the William Joeseph waders. When it's warm I wade wet. Blows my mind to see guys with full waders on hiking on a small river on a plus 30 day!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Willaim Jospeh doesn't make waders anymore. They are now part of the Badlands Pack group. Too bad. My V2s were great but delaminated. Sent them back and got some credit with Badlands who were great to deal with.

I went with Redington Sonic Dry zip-fronts and go a new pair of an American fishing site for $300 CDN. Used them one season and really like the fit and the zip front is really handy.